X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

Just like shooting prairie dogs, belong to the mile club. Good shot and in the video one can see that one shot was short when the dirt flew. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• rebelsoul
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
      Just like shooting prairie dogs, belong to the mile club. Good shot and in the video one can see that one shot was short when the dirt flew. BANG BANG!!
      Please elaborate, prarie dog at a mile? What rifle and load? How much does it cost to rent the Hubble Telescope, anyway?
      "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• customcutter

I've had dogs my entire life, I've also hunted with dogs for over 20 years. I never allow my dogs to run free onto other people's property. I've seen dogs on my in-laws property running wildlife and also running their cows and calves. I've never killed one, but have little respect for dog owners that allow their dogs to run loose or run game on other peoples property without permission. Where my in-laws live, they throw their dogs out on a track on a dirt road and then ride the roads trying to get a shot when they cross the road. No respect for the law, shooting near or across roads, near houses, etc. Little that law enforcement can do as there is only 1 game warden per county. Then the hunters and especially dog hunters wonder why they don't get any support or permission to hunt on private property.

I do remember once, almost 30 years ago, there were a lot of hot air ballooners making a habit of landing in their pastures. They finally had enough of the cattle being ran through fences, and being frightened by the balloons. I heard that a couple of warning shots with a 20 gauge and #8 not at, but in the general direction, and they got the hint. No more hot air balloons landed in their pasture. They even had their fence cut once, so the recovery vehicle could get in to gather the balloon, when they weren't around to let them in the locked gate.

Comment

• zbay
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2013

In the comments of the video they say the guy with the 300 hit it.

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
            At that range how the hell do they confirm it's a coyote and not someones dog that has wondered into the area?
            A very valid concern Cory and one that causes a lot of accidents on a regular basis. The old adage, 'Identify your target' is a maxim that has cost me countless opportunities over the years simply because I was not sure whether it is a fox, or sheep, or cattle (colour of the eyes in the spotlight, confidence of posture, height above the ground, are they set apart or in a group?), or a wild cat, or the farmers cat. Or,...Friendlies? It helps you sleep at night knowing you have discipline and restraint in the ability to kill. More importantly, to not shot anything you did not wish to destroy. And yes, no question, anyone would be on borrowed time if they shot your dog, or mine.

In this case I'd like to give these guys the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing.

As for which caliber hit the target. I'm thinking it might be the person who was in control of the timing and presumably shot first. My experience with team shooting is it is the person who shoots fractionally first, especially if they are in control of the count. But then again, who knows?

The sound of their amazement tells us we all know, they were lucky. Still...nice shot.

Comment

I was on a guided hunt once. Private properity. The guide dropped me off at a tree where he wanted hunt from. About first light someones dog came to the bottom of the tree and just sat there whining for the rest of the day. The guide came back after sundown and he I and the dog left. The guide called the dogs owner. The next day different tree same dog same thing. Two days wasted in a guided hunt!

Comment

Working...
              X