• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadeyerick
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2013

Long Range Class. Bangsteel.com

Just got back from Wytheville Virginia, where we had a two day long range class with Dan Newberry. We would start out at his house for lecture, then take a 20 minute drive to the range. Beautiful range, hilly cattle country. After zeroing our rifle and scope at 100 yards, we shot all the way out to 1100 yards. Dan is an excellent teacher. He showed us how to read the wind by watching the grass, air-born seeds, tree movement, and other things and what corrections to use. Taught us range estimation using known and unknown target size. My Precision Firearms Grendel with a Nightforce ATACR scope did great out to 1100 yards, where it is dropping 400 inches! It is very easy to shoot all day. I would highly recommend him for long range shooting. BangSteel.com
  • acourvil
    Warrior
    • Dec 2013

What load are you shooting to 1100 yards?

Comment

• deadeyerick
      Bloodstained
      • Apr 2013

123gr Lapua Scenars with 31.0 gr of CFE223

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

What barrel length is your Grendel? I have taken my 20" 6.5 G to 800 yards with 31.0 grains CFE, CCI 450 primers and 123 grain Nosler CC. Hopefully will shoot to 1000 this year.

Comment

I've shot my 16" out to 1200yds with 123gr A-MAX factory, at higher altitude. The 123gr Scenar will get to 1100yds at sea level with ~2500fps mv easily, but 123gr are generally considered great 600yd bullets in 6.5mm. That said, I know a guy who is pushing them to 1500yds from a .260 Rem bolt gun, with about a 20% hit probability at that range on a 15" gong IIRC.

For those of us shooting 123gr target bullets on top of CFE, we need to do some registering at distance to see how tight the vertical is. The same guy mentioned above cleaned a Know Your Limits plate rack at 500yds with my 16" Grendel using my 31.2gr CFE load under the 123gr A-MAX. Smallest plate was 5", and my 16" is a little lightweight puppy, nothing like a heavy target gun, but still has negligible recoil.

Comment

• Slappy
            Warrior
            • Feb 2014

When shooting out that far is everyone using 20 to 30 MOA rails??

Comment

• deadeyerick
              Bloodstained
              • Apr 2013

Barrel length is 24"
              Wytheville is about 2300 feet above sea level

Comment

• Onewolf
                Bloodstained
                • May 2013

Originally posted by Slappy View Post
                When shooting out that far is everyone using 20 to 30 MOA rails??
                I assume most people are. I use an SWFA 12X fixed scope with 43 MILS of elevation adjustment on my 6.5LBC so I can reach 1000 yds (~50 above sea level) without the 20MOA mount. I am shooting Scenar 123s with 31.4gr CFE at 2475 FPS.

Comment

Working...
                X