• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jluck View Post
    What should a guy expect for accuracy from the AR 740 vs 319? Any noticeable difference? I'm torn between shorter and stiffer or longer and skinnier. ...That didn't sound right. ....
    In general, assuming comparable accuracy potential, the barrel with the longer length gas system will usually be a little more forgiving to shoot. Doesn't mean that it's more accurate, but perhaps easier to get consistent results from.

That being said, the choice is often steered by preferences in handguard style and length, type of gas block preferred, etc. For example, if you want to use an 11" handguard, that will rule out the barrel with rifle-length gas.
    Drifter

Comment

• jluck
      Warrior
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      In general, assuming comparable accuracy potential, the barrel with the longer length gas system will usually be a little more forgiving to shoot. Doesn't mean that it's more accurate, but perhaps easier to get consistent results from.

That being said, the choice is often steered by preferences in handguard style and length, type of gas block preferred, etc. For example, if you want to use an 11" handguard, that will rule out the barrel with rifle-length gas.
      I should have specified, I have a Overwatch 24" currently. I want to shed some weight from the toad and make a much more nimble rifle that still shoots great. I hope to change as little as possible. (Barrel&bolt and Gas block. I'm pretty sure I wont be able to reuse HG either).

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

I should have specified, I have a Overwatch 24" currently. I want to shed some weight from the toad and make a much more nimble rifle that still shoots great. I hope to change as little as possible. (Barrel&bolt and Gas block. I'm pretty sure I wont be able to reuse HG either).
        It sounds like the only thing you're not going to change is the receiver and muzzle device. At that point why not leave it intact and start from scratch.

I had intended to do this exact comparison with a 311 and AR740 both fluted. This didn't work out though.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

If you select a Lilja barrel with rifle-length gas, you could probably use many of the parts from your Overwatch. Muzzle thread size will be different, but it's possible that everything else might work.
          Last edited by Drifter; 06-27-2014, 03:52 PM.
          Drifter

Comment

• jluck
            Warrior
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
            It sounds like the only thing you're not going to change is the receiver and muzzle device. At that point why not leave it intact and start from scratch.

I had intended to do this exact comparison with a 311 and AR740 both fluted. This didn't work out though.
            I'd like to keep my matched AA 6.5 marked upper with no reason to keep my upper assembled.

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
            If you select a Lilja barrel with rifle-length gas, you could probably use many of the parts from your Overwatch. Muzzle thread size will be different, but it's possible that everything else might work.
            IIRC AA used a slightly different size GB than the rest of the world. I would love to keep all that I could and just slip a new barrel in it, That would be ideal but I also thought I read those "glue on" AA hand guards usually don't come off clean or re-install well, I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X