• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buster
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

Possible 20 rd Grendel Mags?

I use my 7.62x39 and Grendel ASC mags interchangeably.

I also see that ASC has introduced a 20 RD MAG for the 7.62x39.
    A bit pricey, but I just ordered a few of these units and will see how well they run in the Grendel...

J&G Sales in Prescott Arizona has the 25 round Grendel mags for $9.95. http://www.jgsales.com/asc-ar-15-6.5...w.-p-6766.html
    Bob

Comment

Let me know how that works out for ya. I'm interested in sending more rounds down range than what I'm able to do with these crappy 25 round mags I have. (ACS,C-Products) I can only shoot 15 rounds out of the 25 rounders and then it's a crap shoot to say the least. Sometimes the 25 rounders with 15 rounds chambered shoot good and sometimes they jam. Damn someone perfect a decent hi capacity mag for this round that works like a 30 rounder does in a .223/.556!!! I have so much pride in my Grendel but I'm embarrassed to say the Grendel is UNRELIABLE compared to a .223/.556. Now my 10 round mag is good to go but like I stated "interested in sending more rounds down range".

Comment

• Buster
        Warrior
        • Mar 2012

I shoot mainly off a bench and use the 15 rd ASC mags. I am hoping these units will load an entire 20 rd box and clear the bench top using my bipod and bag...I'll report back.

Comment

Like I mentioned, the 10 round mags seem pretty reliable but I have never tried the 15 round mags. Do you do much rapid fire with the 15 rounders and do they function releably?

Comment

• Buster
            Warrior
            • Mar 2012

Very seldom do I do any rapid fire with the Grendel, but do a lot of rapid fire with my 7.62x39.
            Like I stated previously, I use the ASC mags interchangeably....7.62x39 mags in the Grendel and Grendel mags in the 7.62x39,,,no problems in either platform.

Comment

• Buster
              Warrior
              • Mar 2012

ASC 7.62x39 mags came today. They will hold 21 Grendel rounds and hand cycled with no problem. Hope to live fire at the range this weekend.

Comment

• Lead Chucker

Have you had a chance to try the mags under fire? Might I ask where you orders the 20 rounders from? I see some 30 rounders but wonder how they would function?

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

: popcorn :

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Buster, thanks for the heads-up. I didn't order the 20s, but did order a couple of 15s to try. They may be my go-to 'sounder' mags.
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• SG4247
                      Warrior
                      • Aug 2013

I am in the same boat.

I need a 20 round Grendel mag capacity that does not drag on the bench during competition. 25 round ASC are too long.

What are the length dimensions of this mag?

This may be the ticket!
                      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Buster
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2012

Sorry for the delay reporting back.
                        I loaded 20 rounds of factory 123gr Hornady in this unit and ran it in my Grendel. Ten rounds cycled through it flawlessly. Then it would not chamber after every other round. It was like the mag was dropping out of the mag well. I may be having some mag catch issues. I'll try to run another box through the Lilja build this weekend and see what happens..
                        The mag does clear the bench using my much modified, cheap-ass Leapers bipod and rear bag.
                        (I'll post some more pics later this week with the mag in the rifle, bipod mounted sitting on the rear bag.)

Side note: I used one of these mags in my 7.62x39 and after 10 rounds, 2 lugs broke off the bolt and kept stove-piping spent rounds until I found out the problem.
                        New bolt for it on order from Underground Tactical.

Comment

• SG4247
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2013

image.jpg

If I have measured like you did, this looks like it will work.

The 25 round 6.5 mag is about 1/2" too long for my set up.

Let us know if it really feeds okay.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

How many can you actually load in the 25 round mags AND they work though?

Comment

• SG4247
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
                              How many can you actually load in the 25 round mags AND they work though?
                              Most will physically take 24-25 rounds. At 25 rounds the spring is in coil bind, and eventually renders the mag useless. The spring is obviously not intended to support the weight of 25 Grendel rounds.

Basically this Grendel magazine issue is a pet peeve of mine. Design a wonderful cartridge and no decent magazines exist for it. That's a big miss.

I run it at 20 rounds with little issue. If the spring starts feeling weak, throw it away and order another.

Comment

Working...
                              X