• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Feeling the Power: Avulsion and Evisceration

You can watch the video without reading the long story overview, but there are more details in the story...

Sunday was a scheduled work day and I had friends coming up to hunt squirrels in the afternoon. Work was mostly using the tractor to clear some areas, clear trails, and clear roads. I planned on spending much of the day on the tractor and it was supposed to be a beautiful day.

Well, the day started at 2:00 am when I was awakened by notices from my phone that I had hogs (cellular game camera) and so I stayed up for the next 2 hours watching the pics come in of a nifty sounder of 14 or so hogs in tiny, small, and medium sized. Woohoo! However, I really needed those two hours of sleep, LOL.

Got the tractor work done and my guests arrived for the afternoons squirrel hunt. We set up on different parts of the property. In all, I shot 4 out of 5 squirrels at a range of about 35 yards with a CZ452 Ultra Lux (really long barrel .22 lr) and Tasco 6-24x50 scope. Bob missed one squirrel and one rabbit. Toly missed 2 or 3 squirrels, but finally got one...with multiple shots, LOL.

I had not hunted squirrel before and was glad for Bob and Toly to allow me to do it because they will make them into squirrel dumplings. However, watching them skin and gut the squirrels made the whole process look less than convenient. As Bob noted, he would rather skin a deer than a squirrel. What a hassle, but I didn't have to do it and they left happy.

And now the fun part...

I headed to the stand about 8:00 pm with all the gear I needed for a long night. It would be another 6 hours before the hogs arrived if they showed up the same time as the previous time. In preparation for the evening, I had put out a thick line of corn at each feeder, in hopes of lining up the hogs for a double. First one raccoon, then a second, came to feed. It was starting off to be a typical evening.

Way out at about 170 yards, I spotted movement with the thermal scope behind a small grove of trees moving west to east. Could be a deer or maybe a hog. It was only about 9:15 and so I assumed it was a deer. A second target followed. So I stayed on that area to see what materialized.

Indeed it was hogs. They were coming in from the west, crossing much of the food plot and then approaching the feeder from the north east. There was one really large (relatively speaking) hog that crossed back to the west followed by a couple of others and then various sizes of hogs that headed for the feeder. Eventually, a couple of the westward hogs came back east, but not the largest, not before I took the first shot.

I don't think you can hear it in the video, but as more and more hogs came out, the faster and faster my breathing became until I got it under control. I hate to admit that I still hyperventilate sometimes and it really only happens when I have time to think about what is going on...it is all just so darned exciting!

In the mean time, with several hogs around the feeder and at least two lined up including one sentinel sow that seemed to be more wary than most of her group. I had spread out a line of corn in hoping to line up multiple hogs. Sure enough, I got an alignment, so I took my first shot and dropped as larger sow and everything scattered...

The next shots were on piglets at about 125-130 yards which did not go as well as the first shot. I pulled one shot just behind the head (seen on a frame by frame analysis of original video), the next was low, and the one after that may or may not have hit, but the final shot was a blaster.

The hit on the sow was just about perfect except my double plan failed. The shot entered the left side of the head in front and below the left eye and exited behind and below the right eye. The right eye was avulsed as was a sizeable chunk of skull.

The boar piglet was not so lucky. I haven't figured out how this worked, but there appeared to be just two wounds, one in the chest and the major of his hind end below the tail was missing as were much of his internals with a large hollow connecting the wounds. With my flashlight, I could get light from his chest to come out his tail end. He was partially eviscerated!

When the piglet was hit, I could no longer see it on NV and could barely see it on thermal from the stand. I walked the food plot and the edges of the surrounding woods to look for possible wounded stragglers, but none were found.

It was really nice having the tractor there as the tractor did all the lifting. This made getting the sow on a scale much easier. She came in at only 120 lbs. I guessed the piglet was maybe 5 or so.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

I need to move to the country.

Comment

• rebelsoul
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Congrats! I really enjoyed the story and video. You have set the bar high for the video challenge. I can't wait to try to play "catch up".
      "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
        Warrior
        • May 2014

BBQ,,,,,, Pulled pork,,,,,,, I'm Baptist and have no problem with pork. But I am glad they are just all around us presently and not here on the home place. Good shooting!

Comment

A good read and a great vid. Do you prefer the unv20ir over the one on your N750 scope.

Thanks.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Nice! Now you need a suppressor.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

this guy Double Naught Spy knows a thing or two about "population control". Well done sir!
              John 11:25-26

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Illumination...I have tried a variety of illuminators. I don't like the N750 illuminator because the light is a bit "dirty" (with shadows or speckles within it, not clean). The same can be had with laser illuminators where the lens isn't absolutely spotless. The UNV20IR is a very good light. The beam does focus some, but not enough to matter for the zoom of the N750, IMO. In other words, the magnification of the N750 presents a narrower field of view than is illuminated by the most zoomed you can get on the UNV20IR. So in a tighter area, the UNV20IR can be a bit too much of a flood light and so the narrower beam of the much less powerful onboard illuminator of the N750 can be more appropriate in a limited number of situations. If you have an open field, however, the UNV20IR is OUTSTANDING!

---

Yes, I need a suppressor!

----

Thanks y'all for the compliments. I will work on better trigger control and maybe next time there will be a few more kills, LOL. I want to blame the adrenaline, but I lined up on that first pig and he stood still and I yanked/pulled the shot. ERRRR! However, that is the really cool thing about videos. You can go back and look frame by frame and see exactly what was the sight picture the split second before the gun discharges. Was I still on target or not? What happened? It is better than a lot of blind second guessing. Sometimes it is easy to tell if it was you, the target, or your gear. In this case, it was all me.

A buddy watched the property all night last night with no luck. I will see about spending some time out there this evening. Maybe they will be back....or maybe all the shooting scared them off for a while. One thing that I am seeing is that all the grain in the surrounding areas is ripening and the farmers are starting to harvest it. So I think a lot more of the sounders are going to be on the move to find the remaining crops and the isolated food plots (like mine) left by hunters. Hunting may be exciting for the next two or three weeks!
                Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

Nice video again! We need to get some suppressed simultaneous shots on these vermin, using throat mics and radios for commo.

"You got the left, I'll take the right one 5yds from the feeder......ready..."

"....ready."

".......3...2...1....."

double cough from cans, dropping hogs like it's cool or something.

Comment

• jawbone
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2012

great story, great vid, 00S. not so sure about the "last frame sight picture" thing as empirical evidence, though. when I yan... er..miss a shot, it's because the sun or the moon is in my eyes. that's usually my story that I stick to.

Comment

Working...
                    X