Windy evening boar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windy evening boar

The hogs in my area have largely moved to hitting feeders well into the night. My wife decided to put the kids down early so I decided (very last minute) to go check a particular feeder where I had an encounter with a boar a few nights before. The last time he came out about 9:15PM and immediately smelled me because the wind was swirling. That night he worked his way all the way around me in the trees just out of sight but I could hear him for 30 minutes or so (I even doubled back and heard him again but never saw anything).

As I worked my way up a path I take to move into the feeder discretely I noticed a group of deer that could clearly see me but were far more occupied by something in the direction of the feeder.

At this point I assumed hogs were there and moved slowly to where I could see and, sure enough, there is a big boar feeding at the feeder but once again the wind swirls (it was gusting up to 25mph) and he trots off into the woods. I know he hasn't seen me because of the way he left so I decide to double back again and approach from a better wind angle. This takes me 5-10 minutes as I have to cross a couple of deep dry creeks and work my way around an oat field. When I have a visual line I can see that he felt comfortable enough to come back to feeder and now the wind is on my side.

I line up for a shot but am distracting by something running toward me at a pretty decent clip. I swing that direction and wait and it's a smaller boar that hauled tail when he caught my scent... I'm glad because having to shoot him would've scared the big boar away.

After collecting myself I line back up and take the shot. He drops from the shot placement but is kicking his back legs so I anchor him with a lung shot... He never moved an inch:

Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2014, 08:44 PM.
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Outstanding! Funny how you plan to do one thing and then everything changes unexpectedly at the last moment. You did well!
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• wheelguner
      Warrior
      • Oct 2011

Like combat, no play survives the encounter with wild game.

Comment

• rebelsoul
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

Awesome hunt. I love a good cat and mouse stalk. Might I suggest a good wind guage. I use a Nicaraguan 6"x 60 ring with a maduro wrapper. For night hunting you'll need to hide the cherry.
        "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

great story, PO. keeps the juices flowing during my off-season.
          and love your wind guage, RS. good stuff.

Comment

• 81police
            Warrior
            • Feb 2013

great hunting story! Congrats on a nice boar
            John 11:25-26

Comment

• usmc1371
              Warrior
              • Aug 2011

Great story.

Comment

What load are you using, btw? Nice field report on another boar down.

Comment

• Kikn
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2011

Nice boar.

He looks young, he has a short nose and small ears.

I've noticed this year all the hogs I've shot and seen this year are bigger bodied but still really young. Must of had a good year eating.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    What load are you using, btw? Nice field report on another boar down.
                    123 SST over 28.3 gr of 8208 with a 450 primer. I'm running out so I am moving toward the 120 accutips that I picked up.

Comment

Working...
                    X