• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

12.5 SBR build

I've been planning this for quite some time and it's finally coming together.

Specs

Upper-

Sabre Defence 14.5" barrel cut to 12.5" and threaded to 5/8"x24
    BCM blem receiver
    AA hard use bolt (unsure of carrier manuf.)
    BCM MKR10 handguard- REALLY liking this one- super light and great profile. Seriously considering switching everything to it.
    Micromoa Govnah switchable gas block
    YHM QD break for the Ti 7.62 can I have in ATF jail.
    MI keymod grip panels
    PRI Gasbuster charging handle

Optic-
    1-4 VX-R ballistic firedot in Larue mount- Still undecided if this is going to stay or go to a 2-7.

Lower-

RRA SBR'd receiver
    RRA NM 2 stage trigger
    Magpul CTR stock
    Hogue ghillie tan grip
    BAD lever

Base coat of Duracoat Tactical Dark Earth. Camo pattern will be done soon.

Mockup before cut down

Lathe setup- I'm NOT a gunsmith or machinist. I know just enough to make chips and get myself in trouble sometimes.

2" removed

Continued...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by txgunner00; 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Crown cut & polished

Threads cut

Lands lapped & threads cleaned.

upper mockup after cut down

Attached Files
    Last edited by txgunner00; 05-20-2014, 09:15 PM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

This is how she sits now. I hope to be able to finish her this week and get to the range this weekend.

Constructive criticism is welcome!
      Last edited by txgunner00; 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Great photo journal of a job well done. Would love to see a short video of you shooting it with the can on. That's going to be sweet.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Thanks. It will be a couple months before I get my can but I may have an opportunity to test it with a buddy's can before then.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Love it! 12.5" is my perfect length and I want one in 65G BAD!

John
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• m796rider
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

That's cool. I'm thinking about doing a similar build using the same barrel. Do you happen to know the empty weight of the complete rifle?

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

"Constructive criticism is welcome", well here it is : That rifle would look much better with me holding it.

That turned out awesome, That will be a sweet, light weight, fast handling shooter. Job well done. Looking forward to seeing the finished camo job. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Looking good so far. Can't wait to hear your range results!
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Nice one.

Is the spindle-bore of that lathe not wide enough to fit that barrel? What I mean is (and you probably know this) the closer you can get the work area to the jaws of the chuck the less run-out there is.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Camo job done (for now).

Attached Files

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
                          That's cool. I'm thinking about doing a similar build using the same barrel. Do you happen to know the empty weight of the complete rifle?
                          7.4 lb. With suppressor, sling and 10 round mag I should be under 9 lbs. I can't wait to do some stalking with it.

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                          Nice one.

Is the spindle-bore of that lathe not wide enough to fit that barrel? What I mean is (and you probably know this) the closer you can get the work area to the jaws of the chuck the less run-out there is.
                          The spindle bore is 1" and the barrel extension is just a hair over. When I bought this lathe (second hand) I was hoping the bore would be slightly larger than it's stated diameter. No such luck. At least I got a good deal on it but I have my eyes out for a larger one.
                          Last edited by txgunner00; 05-21-2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Dude, that is sick! How did I miss this? I guess I've been out of the loop, jumping through fiery hoops.

That's a nice little hunting stick right there if I ever saw one. Should balance really well.

Looking forward to your range results, as you should be somewhere around 2300fps with 123gr, and 2500fps with 100gr pills.

Comment

OMG, someone opened a bucket of awesomeness and poured it all over that rifle!

Comment

Working...
                              X