• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Savage Shooter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
    Well, I try to do my OCW testing over a chrony so I can both watch velocities and grouping in one go. If velocities go wonky, I know to back off. After I've shot the OCW, I can shoot the favored load(s) for a more meaningful sample to get a solid MV, but I still like to load develop over the chrony to save time and ammo.
    Exactly! And another concern is barrel life - depending on the caliber and gun, some barrels might only have a top accuracy "life" of 1000 - 2000 rounds, and to use up a portion of that life by firing rounds for grouping in load development and then again for MV is something I'd rather not have to do. If the Labradar eliminates the downsides of the Magnetospeed (affecting groups), then it's more cost effective to put the $$ into the Labradar, which can be used for all my guns, handguns included (the Magnetospeed won't work on semi-autos and short barreled revolvers), than replacing barrels and the load development costs that would have to be done all over again for a new barrel.
    My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• 37L1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

According to the ARFCOM newsletter, the first batch of LabRadar has shipped.

Comment

• Boostmeister
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2014

Another advantage over conventional chrono's is that overhead light won't be a factor. One of the ranges that I shoot at has concrete tubes that you have to shoot through. They do it to keep the bullets in the range so folks don't shoot over the berms, but 20+ feet of five foot diameter concrete tube mandated the use of IR screens. The LabRadar shouldn't have any issue with this. Fortunately most of my shooting is now in NW WI where I don't need to shoot through tubes, and my Oelher 35P works like a champ, otherwise I'd be looking at the LabRadar very closely. It will be interesting to see reports back on battery life, range, and a host of other functions as these become available.

Comment

• mwilkins
          Bloodstained
          • Dec 2014

I have read a lot of remarks related to POI change when using a Magnetospeed and saying that they cant shoot groups and get velocity data at the same time. Most of those remarks appear to come from the skeptics that don't even own a Magnetospeed. I use a Magnetospeed V3 for all of my load development and will say that yes you can still shoot groups and gather good velocity data without having to do it twice. On heavy profile barrels, I see no POI change. On medium contour barrels there is a little change but it is repeatable. The only exception to this that I have seen is with those that utilize a sporter or light weight barrel profile. As long as you hold your POA, your POI groupings will still be there. In the pic below the top groups are from my Grendel doing load development. The top six rounds are without the Magnetospeed. The bottom six rounds are with. Even though the POI dropped, very little, the grouping is still there. It is close enough to refine that node and tighten up the group if the velocity is within an acceptable range. This was one of the first things that was done after getting the V3 was to see how far off POI would be. The 338 group was testing POI change with a new TBAC 338BA suppressor. Three without and three with. On the 338, the Magnetospeed had zero POI change but the barrel is also .900" at the crown.

Not to stir up the debate but I see the POI argument not to hold a lot of value in this case. A magnetospeed can be attached, and your weapon can be re zeroed to match the POI change if desired. My concern is not with hitting the center of a target during load development. For that matter, if the POI change is three inches low, as long as the group stays there, then that is what I will work with. After a good node is defined, then re zero and your good to go.

Last edited by mwilkins; 05-26-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

I have put a few hundred shots through my magnetospeed using an 18" barrel with a 0.998" O.D.

Group size seems independent of whether the bayonet is attached.

Group center can be an inch or two different at 100 yards.

Things change a bit if the bayonet is not firmly attached or if one allows it to drift forward during a session.

Direction the group center depends on whether the bayonet is directly below the muzzle or canted.
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
            X