Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • explorecaves

Federal releases video of Bullet Performance in Slow-mo

Federal has created an award-winning Bullet Breakdown Video (below) that demonstrates how various hunting bullets perform in ballistic gelatin. This and other videos are found on Federal Premium Ammunition's YouTube Channel.
    www.FederalPremium.com.

• explorecaves

Would love to see a similar test done in 6.5 grendel... maybe for Vol. 3 of the reloading handbook?

Comment

It is indeed neat photography...and something to consider when it is time to update the hunting discussions.

The problem is that the slow-motion coverage continues the fallacy that the dynamic cavity is the key parameter. The narrative does, however, check on penetration depth and retained weight, which are better measures.

The best measure, unless one is interested in exploding the animal, is the permanent wound channel area. This can be estimated by multiplying the expanded bullet diameter (widest section) times the penetration depth in gel or wet newspaper. That can be correlated with animal weight to come up with an estimate of the weight of bullet needed to bring down the target within about ten seconds of the hit. You can read more here: Ideal Bullet Weight. The bullet weight recommendations in Volume II are consistent with this discussion.

"Exploding" the animal works fine for varmints we don't need to recover, but it sure makes the meat less interesting. Besides, if we scale the results of a 55 gr bullet on a 3lb prairie poodle to what might be needed for a 300 lb animal, we see we would need a 550 grain bullet going about 3200 ftps. So, it is doable, but rough on the shoulder.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

The Game king failed miserably with me. It was very accurate but I would not recommend it for big game. Barnes have always performed excellent with me as long as the shot was true. Great video. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
          Would love to see a similar test done in 6.5 grendel...

Comment

• explorecaves

That is only one load... I was talking about a comparison between similar loads.

Comment

in my experience the Barnes TSX will kill almost anything when loaded for 30-06, killed 3 hogs with one shot once, had lung tissue from the first one pulled through the 3rd one...nasty scene, my guide was a Wildlife officer, said "Damn, what you hit him with" He still tells the story. 165 gr in a Miruku built S&W 1500 deluxe was at about 50-60yards

Comment

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                That is only one load... I was talking about a comparison between similar loads.
                Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook series has a better comparison, since we included multiple impact velocities across the realistic spectrum, to show how each bullet expands and retains weight at different velocities through ballistic gel. A video format would definitely be cool though.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Has any one watched this?

Better or not performance??

Lapua Naturalis.flv

You will have to copy and paste sorry!

Comment

Working...
                  X