• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

264 lb. Headshot Boar

The owner of TBR where I often hunt called and told me that the hogs were back. His wife had seen a bunch out on the dam. We agreed to get together the following evening to cover more property and hopefully to get more hogs. I took my usual position overlooking a single feeder, hay field, and food plot and Mr. TBR took a stand overlooking two different feeders and the dam where the hogs were seen the day before.

About two hours into the hunt I had seen 4 deer and 1 turkey. Mr. TBR had seen 5 deer and some raccoons. Then I spotted a dark shape on the far side of the food plot that had not been there during my previous scan a couple minutes prior. It turned out to be a hog that I was able to drop fairly quickly.

I texted Mr. TBR, "Medium-sized boar down on far edge of food plot." The boar didn't look that big to me at 120 yards through digital night vision, but he bottomed out the first scale and we had to get another. The hog turned out to be 264 lbs. Thankfully, Mr. TBR had a nice tractor and we hauled it up to the house because Mrs. TBR wanted the backstraps.

The shot entered 1" behind the left ear and exited at the base of the right ear, clipping the back of the skull in the process.

Something was out of sorts. It was a big boar, nice tusks, scarred body, but no smell. He did not smell like a big, old, mature boar. His shield was over an inch thick and his lower tusks over 2" long out of the gum. The problem revealed itself as we started to butcher. He didn't appear to have testicles. I was thinking he was a barr hog, when Mr. TBR showed me that the boar did have testicles, but they were not descended. That was pretty bizarre to me.

Two NICE backstraps were taken and will be the fare for Memorial Day.

The more I shoot it, the more I am really appreciating the 6.5 Grendel.
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

Another nice hog down, nice shooting. Love the Curly shuffle!! BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Did some searching and learned this. A boar with his testicles not descended is called a cryptorchid.

Cryptorchid - A male pig whose testes have not descended through the inguinal canals. Normally, the testes develop in the abdomen and descend through the inguinal canal to the scrotum before birth. Sperm production in the testes require a cooler environment than that of the abdomen.
      In commercial pigs, this condition should result in the objectionable smell normally associated with larger boars when they reach 200 lbs or about 6 months of age - http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewco...e_veterinarian

Depending on the type of cryptorchidism present, the boar may or may not be sterile. I have no idea exactly what type this boar had as I don't know how to diagnose from external features.
      Latent knowledge in the field of pig reproduction is vast but scattered, making it difficult to take in all information at a glance. Moreover, nascent branches in biotechnology cannot grow if deprived of roots. The book Boar Reproduction: Fundamentals and New Biotechnological Trends links the past, the present and the emerging scientific research fields on reproductive biotechnology, offering a rigorous but easy to follow compilation of topics, from “old favorites” to the latest advances. The book is organized in three parts. The chapters of the first and second part cover various biological aspects of boar spermatozoa within the male, and within the female environments, respectively. The most common laboratory and artificial insemination techniques are discussed in the third part. As an additional feature, some chapters focus on the basis of a technology transfer to bring research expertise from basic science to the market, making the information provided in this book suitable for academic, research and other professional applications.

However, based on descriptions here, I would guess that he would have been inquinal and hence likely fertile. http://www.cbra.org.br/pages/publica...pag108-120.pdf
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

Working...
      X