• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

18" brownells grendel barrel review

I picked up one of the 18" brownells grendel barrels when they were in stock and just got around to getting to the range with it, didnt work up a load just went plinking the wind died long enough to get a good 3-shot group at 100 yard picture is worth a thousand words and such....

this was the best one the rest were sub-moa but this one was the gem and worth bragging about even though its only a 3 shot group it certainly throws the brownells barrels into a good light and i would recommend them espesialy for the price if memory serves i paid 236 and it came with the bolt
    Punctuation is for the weak....
  • olde sarge
    Warrior
    • May 2014

mongoosesnipe, what is that old saying about shoot the wings off a fly at 100yds. Fine shooting and a "for sure" bragging group. Would be really happy if my build shoots as well when finished. Of course I would have to have someone else shoot it because I am not capable of a group like that. LOL John

Comment

• Apparition
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

Good to hear, I have one mounted and ready to go but I haven't put a round down it yet.

What load were you shooting?
      Last edited by Apparition; 05-30-2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Any idea who makes these barrels? The stampings look very similar to the ARstoner I purchased from midway. Mine is a six groove and came in a triangular box with blue webbing. I'm not sure if it's a liberty or not but it is not 5R and its stampings don't look like the other liberty AR stoner barrels posted on this forum. It also doesn't engrave any markings on chambered factory amaxes.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Brownell's won't tell who supplies their barrels but I suspect they're having someone chamber some of the barrel blanks they sell. The fit, finish and engraving reminds me of my Shilen barrel. I have two friends who bought the 18" Brownell's 6.5 Grendel barrels and they both have been satisfied. Neither has shot theirs past 50 yards but both barrels were reliable and accurate.

Comment

• poli
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2014

That's a very nice group - well done.

When I was looking for a barrel for my build I called Brownells several times; in one of these instances, the tech that I was talking with told me that these are Satern barrels.

Comment

• arnie
              Warrior
              • Nov 2013

mongoosesnipe ,when did you buy this barrel? If it is a liberty barrel and a new purchase it must have the new Grendel11 chamber .

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

Barrel was ordered back in January for whatever that is worth, the only markings on it are 6.5 Grendel 1-8 and brownells muzzle is threaded 5/8-24, factory spec amax does not touch the rifling at all aa loaded 123 scenar ammo kisses the rifling ever so slightly doesn't leave a mark on it just has a little bit of resistance when un chambering a round

The group measures .16 ctc, aa lapua brass, 120 smk, 30gr. 748
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• RakkasanDad
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jan 2014

Got mine in February and been very happy with it so far. Haven't had it out past 50 yrds yet, but will take it to the range next weekend. It shot a very tight group at 50 with Hornady 123gr SST's. I will let you know how it shoots.
                  NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!

Comment

• Hattrick
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2014

Impressive

Comment

• Blacklab
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2012

Very nice.
                      Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

Nice. Much better shooting that I'm currently capable of.

Comment

Working...
                        X