• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThatRandomGuy
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Rugerfan.64 View Post
    Not wanting to hijack your thread or line of thinking. But along the same lines as you are asking, I am also seeking opinions. I know PSA sells blemished uppers, but I have also noticed the mention of DPMS Lo-Pro uppers as well. I am seeking opinions on the DPMS Lo-Pro upper. It seems that extra material may well indeed lead to extra stiffness in the upper. I will eventually hang a 20" barrel on it, hopefully something along the lines of a HBAR contour. Opinions welcome and appreciated. Mind you I am trying to keep this build as cheap as possible, I will most likely use DPMS free float tube on it as well. Thanks in advance.
    IIRC, The DPMS upper isn't actually billet, it's extruded. Instead of machining from a block of aluminum on a lathe, think of playdoh machines that smash the blob through a star or whatever shape. Similar deal. Personally it seems that would be weaker than either forging or billet, but LR is the most engineer-y of us.

As for the barrel, the 17 or 19 liljas would be great for walking around. However, if you insist on 22 or so, you might try calling up Hart barrels. They will make a totally custom .223 AR barrel for 480 (+ $ for threading) but seeing as they list Grendel chambering I see no reason they wouldn't make one for you.

Comment

• olde sarge
      Warrior
      • May 2014

LRRPF52, in your opinion who would you go for in billet and forged. I think I would elect to go forged if I could be pretty sure I was getting the tight fit true faces and threads but since most seem to build billet I am not finding very much mention of forged uppers and lowers. The info you gave me was the type of info I am looking for to keep me from building an expensive turkey. Thanks, John

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by olde sarge View Post
        LRRPF52, in your opinion who would you go for in billet and forged. I think I would elect to go forged if I could be pretty sure I was getting the tight fit true faces and threads but since most seem to build billet I am not finding very much mention of forged uppers and lowers. The info you gave me was the type of info I am looking for to keep me from building an expensive turkey. Thanks, John
        John there are plenty of good forged pieces out there, but I would look at Precision Firearms and at Seekins Precision. They both also build top shelf billet pieces.

Comment

• olde sarge
          Warrior
          • May 2014

Thanks guys, I have narrowed the stripped upper/lower to PF or Mega in billet. I am really eying the Lilja AR740 for barrel but am still waiting on a reply from Blackhole as to whether or not they can chamber in a true SAAMI Grendel chamber not the tight necked version. I guess I will have to go with the Maxim bolt/carrier group if I buy the Lilja? Good or bad to say about these parts? Need to contact LRRPF52 about the build box and the load book set but saw on another forum talk about an updated version soon? Don't know if that is fact or fiction. John

Comment

Originally posted by olde sarge View Post
            Thanks guys, I have narrowed the stripped upper/lower to PF or Mega in billet. I am really eying the Lilja AR740 for barrel but am still waiting on a reply from Blackhole as to whether or not they can chamber in a true SAAMI Grendel chamber not the tight necked version. I guess I will have to go with the Maxim bolt/carrier group if I buy the Lilja? Good or bad to say about these parts? Need to contact LRRPF52 about the build box and the load book set but saw on another forum talk about an updated version soon? Don't know if that is fact or fiction. John
            Updated version of what, and what forum was it on? We just released Volume II in January.

Comment

• cst
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

I have the mega mkm.....had a loose fit on the barrel extension of lilja. Had to use loktite. I bought a CMT upper for my wife's lilja..really tight.....milling job is perfect on that upper. Dont even have to adjust the feed ramps like thr mega.

Comment

• olde sarge
                Warrior
                • May 2014

LRRPF52, It took me a while to find the article about the update to the reloading manual and I found I had misunderstood and that they were talking about volume II calling it an update. Thanks for getting me straight on that. I am on the fence about my barrel choice now. For a rifle to hunt hogs and deer with and also punching paper would I be better served with the Lilja740 with untreated extension or a Bartlein730 with the treated extension? Will be using a PF Phalanx treated bolt and carrier. Probably will not live long enough to put more than a thousand or so rounds through it. The difference in price would almost buy me a good trigger.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2011

Hmm I would really like to offer my opinion, but it would be rather biased!
                  "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2013

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
                    Hmm I would really like to offer my opinion, but it would be rather biased!
                    Me too :P

Comment

• explorecaves

There is something to be said for a nice trigger....

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

What kind of life expectancy can you get from an untreated barrel extension with a NiB bolt? Plus, does anyone have coated MF matching NiB coated barrel extensions anyway?

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2011

All our barrels within the last 2-3 months have Phalanx (melonite) treated Barrel extensions as standard. Using a phalanx treated extension along with Phalanx bolt would be a system that lasts longer than the barrel. Comes with our lifetime warranty on breakage. We even warranted the Les Baer bolts we used to use and had a lot of problems with them breaking (which we ate).

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2012

Wouldn't the melonite be much softer than NiB? Do you sell barrel extensions by themselves?

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2011

The advantage of Phalanx is that it is not a plating. No chance of it peeling or flaking. Hardness is about the same. Lubricity slightly higher on the NiB. 6 one way; Half dozen the other.

Yes we sell extensions. Price $40 with Phalanx.

Comment

• Klem
                                Chieftain
                                • Aug 2013

Weighing a Mega Standard billet upper against a standard Olympic Arms upper (both unpopulated) the Mega weighs 250gms vs. the OA 200gms.

Mega's 'Standard' design is not exactly standard. It has different contours with more thickness, especially on the non-ejection side. That, and the 7075 T6 aluminum has to translate into stiffness, and that will help accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                X