• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

Grendel and cast bullets.

I had a cast bullet mould made to my design and sent some to a couple of guys to test with the same good results that I had. In light of that there is a group buy started on cast bullets for a mould to cast the same bullet

Hello, Here is a copy if Von Gruff's 6.5 Grendel boolit, I was sent some of these to shoot in my 260 pistol, they were proven to be very accurate. This boolit was drawn up by Veral Smith using the reamer print from Von Gruff's rifle. This should prove to work in most any chamber. http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj609/joshaaronelli/65mmx125gr.png Options: 2 cavity $55 4 cavity $100

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

It would be interesting to see the difference between that mold and the mold I worked with another designer for a group buy.
    MiHec 6.5 Grendel mold for AR's, GC 2 or 4 Cavity Brass Cramer HP. This is a new boolit design. This will be a two or four cavity cramer brass GC HP mold that is suitable for the 6.5 Grendel AR rifles, but it may be used in the commercial 6.5 caliber rifles. It will cast at 0.266" with a 0.257" nose. This fits an Alexander Arms chamber as per the OP on the discussion thread. The weight is as shown on the drawing dependent on your alloy of choice. The following is the GB discussion
    Attached Files

Comment

• jose
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2014

Von gruff

What alloy are you using and what speed you killing goats with?
      Thanks

Comment

• Dave Bob
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2013

I know Von Gruff uses bolt guns so cast bullets are fine in that application, but have heard that cast bullets in gas guns will eventually kill the gas system. I guess the wax/lube plugs things up. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bob View Post
          I know Von Gruff uses bolt guns so cast bullets are fine in that application, but have heard that cast bullets in gas guns will eventually kill the gas system. I guess the wax/lube plugs things up. Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Dave
          I have been shooting Cast bullets in 2 AR's for nearly a year now .. 300 Blkout, 458 Socom
          well over 1000 bullets thru the 300 and no buildup in the gas system or either suppressor ..
          with that said I powdercoat all my rds ..
          I know many others at castboolits.com that say the same thing some shooting Naked bullets (no PC coating) .. no buildup in gas system and if properly sized to the barrel no leading

and I am on the von gruff group buy for the 6.5 mold

attached is a group from my 300 Blkout .. First shot thru cold suppressor seems to always be a little off of the rest of the group
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
            Chieftain
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by jose View Post
            What alloy are you using and what speed you killing goats with?
            Thanks
            I am still trialing bullets as I was able to get to about 2300fps with a 70/30 ww/lino bullet with good accuracy but it went through 8 water jugs without expansion so wouldn't shoot goats with it. Have got a straight ww to 2200fps but haven't done expansion tests with it yet although I believe it will be good to go. Have been working with my 47/33/20 (ww/Pb/lino) and have got over 2000fps so far with moa 5 shot groups but my goat shooting is mostly in areas with shot opportunities out to as far as the eye can see from 6-700yds to well over 2000 but I usually cat get in to within a couple of hundred and last time out carried a few of the 47/33/20 loads but am loaded with the A,Max's generally so haven't poped a cap on a 6.5 cast bullet at meat yet although have a lot with my 7x57. I can only get onto the goat country from Nov to May so it is closed down for the winter as it becomes impassable. Will continue trials over the winter and hope to get a kill with it next summer.

Have tried 4198 (with and without buffer) and varget and will run BL-C2 in next tests. Have a great little plinker load with Blue dot.
            Last edited by Von Gruff; 06-05-2014, 10:51 PM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

My Cast Bullet For The Grendel

I've been using a Rapine 6.5mm mould 150 grain bullet sized .266" with very good results. Using four different powders that average 1 1/4" at 100yds. I took the load data in Bergers for the 130gr bullet and used 15% below their starting load, and it works nicely. Cartridge overall length is 2.213" in a Lilja 18" AR barrel
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2014, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Von Gruff
                Chieftain
                • Apr 2012

Welcome to the forum jzdryfly. That is a good looking bullet and I see you have ordered a mould so look to see some good reports when I all comes together.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                X