Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overwatcher

The "wolf gun" debate

Well this kind of spun off some stuff I had wrote over at predator masters,and figured I would add some more thought and share with the horde and get your thoughts.So please comment!

The wolf gun debate..Well here goes my .02 for what its worth.All too much I see the argument of the biggest "baddest" wolf gun.Some seem to think they need a 338 Lapua to stop one,and others are just fine with a 223.True that both guns can shoot and kill wolves.There are logical faults (to me)on both ends of the spectrum.With a big gun you now have weight,recoil,and the amount of rounds available before a reload.Using a smaller gun say .223, I sit and scratch my head as to why I would even take the chance of only wounding a wolf,(some people will say thats all they want to do)and letting the trophy of your life slip away.To each their own,but trust me you will regret it when you wound one because your 223 didn't have enough poop at 500 yards.
    My requirements for a wolf gun were this.Light and maneuverable,Autoloading(20+ rounds on board),mild recoil,medium knockdown and great downrange ballistics.
    I have shot wolves with a 6X45 and with a 6.5 Grendel.The difference in stopping power of the Grendel over the 6X45 was enough to confirm my caliber of choice.
    The truth be told:
    Wolves aren't out to be what people say they are,A BIG wolf in Idaho wolf can get up to 150 pounds.No need for over kill and no need for a BB gun.
    Every wolf I have encountered have been in packs or pairs,both of my latest Wolf doubles weren't likely possible with a bolt gun.Not discounting the bolt gun by any means,but everything in my experience has happened so fast.
    So I say to those either set in their ways,Be open to ANYTHING.
    When making your decisions be logical and dont be fooled by the internet hunter, or the sporting goods "pro hunter".Get out to the range and shoot,find what works well,and stick with it.I will never forget a wolf pair that I called in and missed.All because I was fiddling with my gun and different loads.Regrets...but it changed my mindset.
    I see others too often get caught up in calibers and equipment.Granted there is no subsitute for having good equipment and a caliber that suits you well.It makes me chuckle,because to me most are overlooking the point.The focus to the point should be on fundamental shooting,getting out and formulating wolf hunt strategies, and putting in the time.
    Becuse the REAL point is hitting what your aiming at regardless of caliber or target.I have my "missed a wolf stories...and I say....don't allow that to be you!
  • waveslayer
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

I will add my .02 cents to make it .04 cents... If you know how to shoot like you say, then a bolt gun is just as fast as a semi. If you know how to run a bolt then you not be behind a semi by much. Yes the Semi is faster of course, but not by a lot. There was a study I saw and to some surprise the bolt guns were about half a second at the most behind the semi autos. Most of the time if you are hunting you don't have the most stable shooting position so by the time you finally get back on target you have ran the bolt....

But as far as calibers go. In Idaho where we were hunting wolves it was about 200-600 yard shots. I would feel more comfortable using my Lazzeroni at those distances, knowing it will knock the crap out of a wolf. But the Grendel would be fine as well... So it's what you are comfortable with.

The best advice is, now I haven't done his course yet, contact LRRFP52 and do his course on shooting positions etc... that will make a real hunter shoot well.

Comment

• Overwatcher

Thanks for the input,Again the point I'm trying to drive is besides the argument of bolt vs auto.Comfort and confidence are key with any shooting platform.Logically for me I broke down my preferences.An autoloader won with quick target correction and transition,no required effort to load the next round,and available rounds on board before a mandatory reload.Again simple logical preference.
      I do highly agree with formal training or competitive shooting.I learned more at major 3 gun matches by listening,watching and having some epic fails of my own.All humbling yet encouraging.Also another thing i enjoy with competitive shooting is the added degree of stress induced to shooting.This stress is also coined "buck fever" in hunting terms.Its a mindset that most people don't really get to experience on a regular basis and have no experience how to cope with it when I does happen.
      I really like the way how LLRFP52 approaches every aspect of shooting,and breaks it down to the root.(We are too much alike in that regard)We should all be very meticulous and approach every aspect of shooting fundamental that way.Good stuff,thanks for adding.I really do enjoy the mind game involved in shooting,(Also like blabbing about it)

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Nice shooting, OW!
        Yes the wts., ballistics of the 6.5mm, out weigh the .224.. Bigger is best, yet the wts., are a challenge to find-inside of ones fave caliber. Some prefer 140-120-100grns.
        Yes the semi is the rifle of choice for most of us, yet not all.
        In a true quiet sit down situation- a single shot may be the way to go. I'm looking at the possibility of a dubbs bbl Grendel- in a lite wt. over and under idea.
        Time will tell, if I get this done , or not. Too many ideas running at the same time here.

Comment

Working...
        X