• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lrgrendel
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

Photos from round 2

Here are the photos. I increased the media to about 18". The 2 pieces of hard wood can be also be seen.
    As you can see both the AMAX and the SCENAR broke apart and both have retained less than 50% of it's original weight.

Not sure I'd be eating the meat around the bullet "track" with all that lead around!

It remains to be seen how the NATURALIS performs.

I really wanted to do the same test regarding the media on all three bullets but I may have to use what ever will stop the Naturalis.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
      It remains to be seen how the NATURALIS performs.
      There's a test similar to yours on another forum, except using wet newspaper instead of wet phone books, and 6.5 Swede instead of 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

• lrgrendel
        Warrior
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by stanc View Post
        There's a test similar to yours on another forum, except using wet newspaper instead of wet phone books, and 6.5 Swede instead of 6.5 Grendel.

Ok. Thanks. Let's see how it perform's at the slower velocity. Similar I hope

Comment

• lrgrendel
          Warrior
          • Jul 2013

Retrieved one at last!!

Used a large rectangular shaped plastic jug filled with drinking water you buy in any supermarket surrounded by larger pieces of hard wood. I put a couple of 8" x 8" x 10" pieces at the back. This is Cypress and extremely hard!!

I only loaded 5 cases with 140 grain Naturalis as I was shooting my usual 123 AMAX loads as well. Any way I only nicked the jug and the bullet went approximately 7" into the wood. I screwed up the scope adjustment from my 123 AMAX zero and only had one left to hit my water container!!

I also nicked the bullet with my saw as you can see in the photos. The bullet stayed together 100%. It is amazing, it looks almost the same as when I loaded it minus the green tip. Also it had just began to mushroom as seen in the photos.

I wish I had a large block of ballistic gel to do a proper test!!

Any way had some fun and the Lapua Naturalis 140 grain is a very capable hunting bullet shot from the Grendel.

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

what velocity was it going at impact?

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
              what velocity was it going at impact?
              Assuming 100 yd shot...then 1974 fps (see his earlier post on chronograph results)
              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• rickOshay
                Warrior
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                Assuming 100 yd shot...then 1974 fps (see his earlier post on chronograph results)
                Thanks, I missed the 2200 fps chrono report. SO....that doesn't bode well for Lapua claim of 1650 fps minimum velocity. This recovered bullet didn't open at all.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

It looks like the Naturalis is just screaming to be lightened by a certain Sneaky Booger in Minnesota, maybe even with an aerodynamic tail, and we might really be on to something though.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
                    Thanks, I missed the 2200 fps chrono report. SO....that doesn't bode well for Lapua claim of 1650 fps minimum velocity. This recovered bullet didn't open at all.
                    Firing into a tree really isn't a good judge of how well it will expand in game.
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• lrgrendel
                      Warrior
                      • Jul 2013

Last report Lapua Naturalis 140 gr !

Shot 2 groups at 100yds and 220 today. Remember there was no load development! Also proves a low BC is of no consequence at these short distances.

Anyway I will confidently use these on any game here in Central Florida up to 220 yds knowing what they can do.

I wish I could have duplicated an accurate ballistic gel test though!

Comment

• rickOshay
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2012

140 gr Naturalis meets gel

Thought you guys would enjoy this video of the Naturalis hitting the gels at ~2170 fps.

Note that the two gels weigh about 50 lbs and the steel plate weights 57 lbs. There's enough downward force to bounce them all about 2" off the wood platform.

Look closely in the upper right as the gel begins to settle back down (10 - 13 secs in the video) to see the bullet exiting upward.

If you are able to do a frame by frame advance, you will see the bullet in three frames as it approaches the gel. Given the frame rate of 1200/sec, or 0.00083 seconds per frame, this would represent 0.0025 seconds. The bullet traveling at 2100 fps would travel about 5 ft in that time. This seems right given the slight angle between the camera and bullet path.

You can also see the heat generated in about 10 frames after impact (about 8 thousands of a second). This likely causes the smoke exiting the "entry wound".

Not sure why my laser goes out just before the muzzle blast. Backward travel may move the battery off the contact?

Comment

• Buster
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2012

VERY cool video..........that gel looked like it was farting smoke

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Did you recover the bullet?
                            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• sneaky one
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Awesome, what was the penetration on the 140 ? Up in smoke, that's where the bullets go... into the gel- then thru the sand berm behind it...

Yeah, the laser can conk out on recoil-stretch the small spring out a tad under the screw on cap. That creates more tension.

Ahhhh, gel vids, & pics.... Nicely done ROS !

Comment

• rickOshay
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                                Did you recover the bullet?
                                as lrgrendel has been finding out, stopping these babies is a challenge. Will make a backstop of bags of coffee chaff to see if I can get one without damaging it further.

Exited the top of the 2nd gel after about 25 inches of penetration

Comment

Working...
                                X