• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickOshay
    Warrior
    • Apr 2012

Stills from Video

Here are a couple of stills from the video that show the extent of gel expansion.

First one shows gel expanding horizontally after an initial rise in the center.

Then the sides come back together and expands up again

That's gotta hurt.

Comment

• rickOshay
      Warrior
      • Apr 2012

More Stills

Here are a couple more stills:

Bullet impact - its a streak. Going to need a MUCH more expensive camera to slow that down.

And the initial expansion upward showing the heat generated.

The equal downward force is what lifts the gel.

Going to have to back off the zoom for future shots to measure that expansion.

Comment

• sneaky one
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Yes I see the bullet exit- WOW . Get the free app on slo pro, then buy up to the 10,000 fps. idea. Cool stuff for us all to see in the colder months. Thanks ROs!

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Interesting, indeed. I noticed what appeared to be 3 separate particles exiting at the UR of the Gel Block. Two small bits, followed by what looked like the bulk of the projectile. Makes me wonder if it fragmented, slightly. Either that or it was spitting gel just prior to exit.

Nice work, ROS, and much appreciated.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• rickOshay
            Warrior
            • Apr 2012

Thanks NF - agree that two smaller objects are seen before what appears to be the bullet.

Although after viewing it again, they appear to originate from much different locations - and may likely be chunks of wood.

You can see what appears to be the same objects falling down beginning at 19 - 23 seconds.
            Last edited by rickOshay; 12-30-2014, 02:30 AM. Reason: second and third sentence added

Comment

• lrgrendel
              Warrior
              • Jul 2013

Originally posted by rickOshay View Post
              Thought you guys would enjoy this video of the Naturalis hitting the gels at ~2170 fps.

Note that the two gels weigh about 50 lbs and the steel plate weights 57 lbs. There's enough downward force to bounce them all about 2" off the wood platform.

Look closely in the upper right as the gel begins to settle back down (10 - 13 secs in the video) to see the bullet exiting upward.

If you are able to do a frame by frame advance, you will see the bullet in three frames as it approaches the gel. Given the frame rate of 1200/sec, or 0.00083 seconds per frame, this would represent 0.0025 seconds. The bullet traveling at 2100 fps would travel about 5 ft in that time. This seems right given the slight angle between the camera and bullet path.

You can also see the heat generated in about 10 frames after impact (about 8 thousands of a second). This likely causes the smoke exiting the "entry wound".

Not sure why my laser goes out just before the muzzle blast. Backward travel may move the battery off the contact?

Awsome test! You went to a lot of trouble. Pity you didn't retrieve the bullet. ( I would have been pissed!! )

So back to the question. What other Grendel hunting bullet, from what we have seen from various tests, has as much penetration? Or knock down power?

Everyone says you can't load them fast enough....

I have just over 8 boxes of these and was attempting to sell them. May just hold on to them and not have to buy any other Grendel hunting bullet again in my life time for use here in Florida.

RICK. Are you going to continue to try and retrieve a bullet?
              Might have to try and shoot a hog straight on in the chest and see if it exits!!

Comment

• rickOshay
                Warrior
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by lrgrendel View Post
                Awsome test! You went to a lot of trouble. Pity you didn't retrieve the bullet. ( I would have been pissed!! )

So back to the question. What other Grendel hunting bullet, from what we have seen from various tests, has as much penetration? Or knock down power?

Everyone says you can't load them fast enough....

I have just over 8 boxes of these and was attempting to sell them. May just hold on to them and not have to buy any other Grendel hunting bullet again in my life time for use here in Florida.

RICK. Are you going to continue to try and retrieve a bullet?
                Might have to try and shoot a hog straight on in the chest and see if it exits!!
                Thanks! I certainly do plan on continuing this work - and someday capture that Nat. My hope is to confirm Lapua's minimum velocity claim. Unfortunately, the slower they go, the more they penetrate.

Depending on how it goes, I may be contacting you again regarding your inventory.

If you're shooting within 100 yds, they certainly will do the trick. But there are much cheaper options that have proven to be very effective, and have much greater effective range. The 120 gr TTSX penetrated >34". The 100 gr TTSX, 120 gr NBT, and 125 gr Partition all went >28" (see Table 6.2 on p.44 of Volume 2). You may want to get some of those in trade.

Comment

Working...
                X