Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grendeledmossyoak

AR 7.62x39 bolt for Grendel barrel

I just purchased a Grendel barrel that requires a 7.62x39 bolt head. Why would this be the case? Is this bolt head better than the 6.5 Grendel bolt head?
  • ThatRandomGuy
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2013

Would this happen to be a BHW barrel? Just curious, since they push their "Type I" barrels. Basically there was once a demand for grendel bolts, and no supply, so some people started making 6.5 barrels that used a 7.62x39 bolt which could be readily found. Now that the so called "Type 2" (actual grendel) bolts are back in supply, or can at least find good vendors for, there really isn't a point for the others. However, some barrel makers and groups (not to flame but especially 6.8 lovers) consider Type I to be better because they have a misconception that since the chamber pressure is relatively low the bolt must be weak; as a result they still push against a true grendel bolt.

I wouldn't say it's better, especially with the types of bolts Precision Firearms puts out, but I've also seen them perform well so I personally would hesitate to call it worse. More experienced members may differ, though.

Comment

• grendeledmossyoak

The barrel is a LBC 264, 6.5 Grendel in stainless

Comment

• SG4247
        Warrior
        • Aug 2013

I have a new 7.62 x 39 bolt I would sell, PM me if interested.

I have no use for it.
        NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• grendeledmossyoak

What make and description? Price?

Comment

• SG4247
            Warrior
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by grendeledmossyoak View Post
            What make and description? Price?
            See your PMs
            NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ThatRandomGuy View Post
              Would this happen to be a BHW barrel? Just curious, since they push their "Type I" barrels. Basically there was once a demand for grendel bolts, and no supply, so some people started making 6.5 barrels that used a 7.62x39 bolt which could be readily found. Now that the so called "Type 2" (actual grendel) bolts are back in supply, or can at least find good vendors for, there really isn't a point for the others. However, some barrel makers and groups (not to flame but especially 6.8 lovers) consider Type I to be better because they have a misconception that since the chamber pressure is relatively low the bolt must be weak; as a result they still push against a true grendel bolt.

I wouldn't say it's better, especially with the types of bolts Precision Firearms puts out, but I've also seen them perform well so I personally would hesitate to call it worse. More experienced members may differ, though.

Actually, the first Grendel bolts were 7.62 X 39 but weren't strong enough so Alexander recessed the bolt face and went from there. It is debatable if the Grendel bolt is any stronger but there seems far fewer sheared lugs than six or eight years ago.

For those who go the 7.62 X 39 bolt route, understand that you need a barrel whose chamber is cut a bit deeper than one using a Grendel bolt.

LR1955

Comment

• tackdriver
                Warrior
                • Feb 2013

I have just parted with a 20" BHW upper and had no problems. I have a 24" bull that has been around for a while 5-600rnds with previous owner and another 5-600 with me and no issues at all with the bolt. I was going to sell my spare bolt after theBHW went away but checked my 24" and it is a type I . I guess I will keep it just in case or buy another barrel and build a newb.

Comment

• Whiteghost2.5
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2012

I have a very nice bolt I got for my 7.62x39 built from Liberty gun works and I checked out their 15000 round test bolt and it was def good to go.

Comment

Working...
                  X