• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Dry Fire Device Review

dmsims21 sent me a beta version of his device for feedback. I thought I'd post my thought on it here for the horde.

Pre Judgement
    • Novelty Item
    • It seems cool, but I don’t think that I’d go out and buy one

Initial impressions
    • Simple, Elegant design +
    • Well built, but could prove to be to brittle
    • Would consider a slightly softer polymer for the main housing to absorb the impact better if any cracking issues arise (Be advised I'm an engineer with a constant need to improve any and all designs)

Initial Installation
    • Easily installed within 90 seconds without any instruction. Very intuitive.

Initial Use
    • One wording Amazing.
    • It makes the dry fire process incredibly smooth. Allows you to get in an intense focus almost like a state of meditation behind the trigger
    • No more shifting your position to reset the trigger while dry firing
    • It allows you to reset, get on target, and pull the trigger every 3-5 seconds. It’s said you must repeat a movement more than 1k times to make something muscle memory. In three 30 minute session you can theoretically reprogram your trigger pull.
    • It’ll receive a permanent spot in my range bag

Take Away
    • Must have for anyone looking to correct their trigger pull
    • Asset to any serious competitor looking to put in max amount of dry fire reps on a busy schedule
    • Could prove to be an excellent teaching aide in preparing someone for their first range trip

I'll post more after my first range trip post the Dry Fire Device.
    Last edited by cory; 06-12-2014, 01:14 AM.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • Butterbean
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Great news. Mine's in the mail.
    Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• Butterbean
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

Got mine today. L O V E it. Quality through and through.
      Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• ejkoechling
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2014

Got mine this afternoon. Only had about 5 minutes to play with it. So after 15 I had to put it down
        So for I like it. Give more a review at a later time

Comment

• dmsims21
          Warrior
          • Nov 2012

Thanks for the kind words.
          I really just want everyone to be happy.
          I also hope y'all will come up with attachments, new ways to actuate the lever, and improvements.
          If anyone does have an issue, please let me know. I will either help you work it out or you can return for a full refund.
          www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

I am sorry to say that there is an issue with the Dry Fire Device. There has been one customer who could not get the device to lock into two different lowers.
            The slot in the device for the mag catch is too short. With a certain combination of tolerance stack up, the mag catch on the lower will not properly seat into the slot on the device.

I discovered that I messed up the slot location. Pmags have a longer slot that GI mags, because the Pmags have larger radii in the corners.
            I mixed measurements from the two mags and started my mid length slot, too close to the back of the mag well. Technically my slot isn't too short, it just needs to be moved toward the muzzle by 0.075"
            It fit in every lower I tried, so I didn't notice the mistake.

Three options.
            1. If yours works and you are happy with it, continue to enjoy it.
            2. I can send you a new and fixed device with money to return your defective one, whether you have an issue or not.
            3. You can lengthen the slot toward the muzzle end with a dremel tool. 0.075" should be more than enough.
            It should still hold well even if you mangle that end of the slot a little. The rest of the slot will hold it. I will have to work out a quick way to fix the remaining devices with my machinist.

It is easier if you send any correspondence to my email address, but you can PM me if you prefer that method. Please include your name and forum handle. It helps me keep things straight.

I have received a few orders today. I will hold onto those until I can get my stock devices corrected.

David Sims
            dmsims21@gmail.com
            830 Alley Dr.
            Friendsville, TN 37737

Comment

• dmsims21
              Warrior
              • Nov 2012

I have the devices back from the machine shop. I had the mag catch slot lengthened. I also had it cut 0.05" deeper in case a mag catch had large lead in chamfers.
              I sent one to the customer who had a problem. Once he confirms that the modification worked, I will begin shipping orders again.
              Hopefully I can ship on Monday. Thanks for your patience.

Comment

• dmsims21
                Warrior
                • Nov 2012

I started a new thread with an update on the Dry Fire Device.

I wanted to give a quick update on the Dry Fire Device. There have been several developments recently. Mag Catch Issue I finally have the mag catch issue figured out. It ended up being a combination of several factors. 1. The slot wasn't long enough. 2. The body has an inward bow due to the plastic flexing when it was

Comment

• dmsims21
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2012

I finally have my website up and running. Check it out.
                  I have the videos and a little history on the development of the device.
                  I also have the issue figured out. I added a little protrusion to make sure the mag catch has enough material to hold onto.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

I wanted to come in here and thank dmsims for supporting the Multi-gun course we had this past week, and the dry firing device was well-received-sold all available units, with interest in additional product from those who were left without one.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2013

Nice!

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

It really is a great product. I see a noticeable difference in my shooting, when I start my range time off with a couple dozen dry fires with this device.
                        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• MKo
                          Bloodstained
                          • Sep 2014

related loosely on this subject is so called cold bore shot. The phenomenon is widely know that 1st round shot on clod bore (or after longer time between shots) the impact is lightly off where rest of the group is landing.
                          Bunch of guys, me included, decided to make a practical test on this. Test was divided in 2 parts. First being just follow what one has done always. Go to range and start engaging. But having 2 indentical target. Shooting the first round in one and rest (say 4-5) on the other and record main point of impact plus difference where the first round went.
                          Second part was do excatly like in first case but BEFORE starting to engage dry fire one's kit for few time.

Now the result collected and it showed that majority of the shooters didn't experience shift on cold bore shot following regimen having few dry fires before going live. I don't want to say that this is the case with everybody and with every rifle. But might be something to focus especially if your shooting session are far in between OR if your round count is fairly low (read less that few thousend).

I see therefore lot of benefits using dry firing kit.
                          That's my $0,02
                          Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

A very interesting experiment, MKo. I intend to investigate this for myself, but will need a couple of different weekends to validate it, I suppose. Several dry fires prior to going live makes quite a bit of sense, regardless. During the culmination exercise, I personally experienced an errant first round, as I hadn't quite put myself "into the zone" before engaging. While not always practical, a few dry fires would have almost certainly prevented throwing a first round hit away.
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

I certainly have noticed that shooting rounds before going live makes a difference. I generally will shoot some exercise groups with one of my semi-autos before moving to my 7mm WSM at longer ranges if I can. If not, I'll dry fire the 7mm WSM as many times as possible prior to the first real shot. Nobody ever told me why they did it, but I saw several of the F Class guys I admire doing it, so I copied them! I also have found that shooting a break barrel pellet gun at 25 yards is good practice.

I've never tried Mika's test like that, but it make perfect sense.

The dry fire device will help anyone who needs trigger time but can't make it to the range. I was very impressed with it. I had meant to get money in the mail for some time, just had been too busy to do it. Now I own one!

Comment

Working...
                              X