• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

rebarrel from ar to bolt gun??

Im just curious if it is possible or feasable to take a barrel setup for an ar15 and have it rechambered and turn it into a bolt gun.
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Chances are the barrel will be too small to be threaded to fit into a bolt action, most bolt guns use threads over and inch and most ar barrels are under an inch in diameter, not to mention the gas port, you would be much further ahead starting with a standard barrel blank
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Kikn
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

Thanks for the info. That's kind of what I thought I would hear.

On that note. How about going from ar15 to ar10 and rechambering for a different round? Say going from 6.5grendel to either.260 /Creedmoor/6-speed ect..

Comment

• mtn_shooter

What kind of action are you wanting to put it on? As Mongoosesnipe said, the OD (outside diameter) of most AR15 barrels is ~1", the max OD of most threads for most bolt actions is about 1" or just a touch over. I think stock remington 700's are 1 x 16tpi, Savages are something like 1.055 x 20 tpi. So you could maybe pull it of with a Savage, but I have my doubts. You would have to cut off the existing threads, then start a new chamber and thread job. I'm not sure if you'd have a long enough section at 1" to accomodate the barrel nut on savage actions. Not to mention you'd be .055" under size on the OD of the threads.

So short answer, No, probably not, unless there is some other action that uses a threaded shank that's closer to what the AR15 barrel extension uses. Might as well just buy a .264 caliber barrel blank.

ETA: As for going to an AR-10 platform, you're in the same boat as above. AR10 barrels are thicker towards the rear, larger threaded area etc. Not to mention I wouldn't want to try and stuff a .260 into an existing Grendel barrel dimension. I can live without high velocity body piercings.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

• Kikn
          Warrior
          • Nov 2011

Ok.looks like I'm batting O for the century here...

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
          X