• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burkew23
    Warrior
    • May 2013

2A Armament BALIOS-Lite Upper

Has anyone here had any experience with a 2A Armament BALIOS-Lite Upper? The specs look great with 5.85 oz stripped. I haven't been able to find much on reviews, it looks like they are a brand new company from what I've been able to find on ar15.com.

Would it be a concern having a lightweight upper with thin walls for the Grendel?
  • Walter
    Warrior
    • Jan 2013

If it were me I would get the lite version from Precision Firearm. Marks machining is the best. His parts look very nice all so. About the same price.

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I recently stumbled over the Balios upper and lower receivers on Arf also. They look pretty interesting. I'm put off a bit by the price, but I have been pondering them for a future light weight build. I'll be lurking around for more input on these as well.

ETA: A guy in this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_493/2...e_upper__.html is rocking a 16" 5.56 rifle with an Aimpoint mounted at only 4lbs 13.5oz!!!!

Rusted Ace also has one at 5 pounds 4.8 ounce with the dot and a light....

I'm thinking maybe Balios receiver set, Boomfab carrier, latest lightweight uber rail, a very light weight fluted and nitrided 12.5" barrel, and maybe the lightest thread on titanium can?
      Last edited by Variable; 06-27-2014, 01:13 AM.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• burkew23
        Warrior
        • May 2013

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        I'm thinking maybe Balios receiver set, Boomfab carrier, latest lightweight uber rail, a very light weight fluted and nitrided 12.5" barrel, and maybe the lightest thread on titanium can?
        Woah! Boomfab..... That thing is insane! So cool and extremely light. I think it's funny the price of the Balios puts you off but you mention Boomfab. Just giving ya a hard time

But that would pretty much be my dream featherweight AR-15 you described Variable. Someday....someday.

So my main concern with the Balios Lite is the strength and fit for the barrel extension. I wouldn't want it if there's much play. As mentioned above I have considered Marks LW upper but it weighs 10.5 oz, which isn't very light compared to the Balios. But from the reviews I've read on Marks stuff, they are top notch and very tight fitting which matters more to me than a couple ounces.

I still can't make up my mind

Comment

• burkew23
          Warrior
          • May 2013

Saw this comment over on Arf and thought I'd share:

"I just installed an ultra light scionics barrel in #87. The extension was snug and did require some pushing to insert fully.

The upper to lower fit is super snug with zero wiggle at all. So far Iam very impressed with the quality of the 2A parts."

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Oh heavens yes the Boomfab price is even more insane than the Balios set!!!

I'm hoping that the fact that some people are actually buying them (Wow!) will inspire some other folks to make 'em cheaper and bring the price down.

As for heavier upper receivers--- Bill A. did recommend the heavy walled extra thick billet receivers in the past, but that was in response to folks using 28" heavy match barrels back then. Receiver flex affecting accuracy was the concern IIRC. With the belief that a heavy stiffer receiver handled the long heavy barrels better. In the case of a lightweight build though, I don't think it would be an issue at all.

I love spending other people's money, I think you should build a hyperlight uber cool Grendel carbine with the Balios receiver set, Boomfab BCG, and whatever other cool bits we can find. Kind of like a Hoard project, but you foot the bill.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

It looks like Spike's Tactical will be bringing out a Titanium BCG soon. It also looks like it'll be cheaper than the Boomfab as well...

There's a lengthy discussion thread on Arf with more pics: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/63...anium_BCG.html

This could get dangerously ($$$$) expensive if I read too much more....

Comment

• burkew23
                Warrior
                • May 2013

The 3rd post down on this page (he must have followed your advice) http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/6..._.html&page=15 machined a 10" KMR to make it even lighter. His rifle is 3lbs 12.2oz!! Add a lightweight can and you've got yourself just under 5lbs, it's possible!

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Wow! That's crazy!

I'll probably keep the top rail though. If other people quit spending my money, I want a clip on thermal some day. I'd need the rail to sync it up with my optic.

You are a definite bad influence.LOL

When I first saw the Balios I didn't pay it a ton of attention at first, but when you posted here about it..... it jogged my brain in reference to Grendel.... You may literally cost me thousands of dollars.LOL

You Very Bad man!!!!!!!

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I have to stop clicking on things like this...
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• burkew23
                      Warrior
                      • May 2013

You Very Bad man!!!!!!!
                      LOL! Well I'm pretty sure it's going both ways so I don't feel so bad

Comment

Working...
                      X