• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmsims21
    Warrior
    • Nov 2012

Dry Fire Device Update

I wanted to give a quick update on the Dry Fire Device. There have been several developments recently.

Mag Catch Issue
    I finally have the mag catch issue figured out. It ended up being a combination of several factors.
    1. The slot wasn't long enough.
    2. The body has an inward bow due to the plastic flexing when it was machined. The machine shop has figured out a better way to fixture the parts to prevent the bowing.
    3. Some magazine wells have more room than others. My design should have been robust enough to handle all of the variation. I feel that if a standard magazine locks into your lower, then my Dry Fire Device should too.

Corrective Action
    I have made the slot longer, worked out a better machining process, and I have also added a raised protrusion to the front of the device to give the mag catch more purchase.
    Raised Protrusion.jpg
    As an added bonus, there is a bigger chamfer on the leading edge, so you won't have to press the mag release button to get the device started into the lower.

Plan
    The new front blocks will be made Monday (July 1). I am having enough to replace all of the existing blocks.
    If you already have a Dry Fire Device, I will send you the new front block, free of charge, even if it works as is. I don't want anyone to have a lesser product, because they were one of the first to support me and buy one.
    If you are interested in buying a Dry Fire Device, I should be able start shipping again on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Just send me an email at dmsims21@gmail.com

Also, I have two videos on youtube. Just search for "Dry Fire Device" and you should find them. My youtube channel is Friendsville Precision.
    www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device
  • dmsims21
    Warrior
    • Nov 2012

Friendsville Precision Logo

FP._GREEN.jpgFP Card_FRONT.jpg

Here is my logo that my brother-in-law designed for me. I think he did an awesome job. He does logos, t-shirts, banners, etc as a side job.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

I just want to say that working with dmsims21 has been very positive. Two of my lowers have a little extra space in them and, thanks to that wonderful phenomena known as tolerance stacking, they would not hold the DFD in place. He has worked with me all through this process without any issue, and has been quite proactive in his solutions. Not once was there a suggestion of it being "my problem".

He could have (justifiably) waited until the next production run to implement the new side plate design, and yet here I see he is sending out replacements for existing customers. I am quite impressed, as I know I had told him the last one would have been sufficient for my needs, as I had another lower which did not exhibit the locking issue.

It is always refreshing and encouraging to see a company, young or old, large or small, willing to step up and make it right.

Thanks.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• dmsims21
        Warrior
        • Nov 2012

I spoke with the machine shop today. The new plates should be done tomorrow.
        I should get them in the mail on Wednesday (July 2).

Thanks for your patience, David Sims

Comment

• dmsims21
          Warrior
          • Nov 2012

I picked the finished parts up today. I will be printing shipping labels tonight and dropping them off at the post office tomorrow.

Comment

• dmsims21
            Warrior
            • Nov 2012

The Dry Fire Devices are together and ready for sale.
            They can be ordered on my Squareup.com store.

Comment

• dmsims21
              Warrior
              • Nov 2012

I finally have my website up and running. Check it out.
              I have the videos and a little history on the development of the device.

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Very cool device
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Butterbean
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

I was completely aware of the issues that some were having with their Dry Fire Device. I wasn't having any issues, so I was content with mine & told Dave so. Unbeknownst to me, (didn't read the above msg until now) I get a BOXED package in the mail today, with a VERY nicely machined plate bubble wrapped. This guy is first rate.

Thank you Dave Sims
                  Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Not an hour ago, a similar package arrived in the mail. 2 minutes with a torx driver and the new plate is on. 100% success, with no more problem lowers. I can now practice dry fire with any and all of my lowers, with their respective setups.

Again, Dave has truly been a real pleasure to work with.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• dmsims21
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2012

To Butterbean and NugginFutz,

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad the new front is working out for you.
                      I think they turned out really well. The machinist did a really good job with them.
                      I hope you likes the business card too.

Be sure to tell your friends, and direct them to the website.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Definitely. These DFD's are the Cat's *ss, and I intend to show it to some friends at the LGS. Now, let me know when you've developed that little extension you mentioned on the other post. I will be happy to Beta that for you. (Unless Cory beats me to it.)

Comment

• Butterbean
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                          To Butterbean and NugginFutz,

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad the new front is working out for you.
                          I think they turned out really well. The machinist did a really good job with them.
                          I hope you likes the business card too.

Be sure to tell your friends, and direct them to the website.
                          I dooooo like the cards. He did a bang up job on them. I will advertise for you.
                          Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• rasp65
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

dmsims21 I received the DF D-Vice yesterday. It is an extremely well made piece of equipment. I spent some time admiring the workmanship of the device. I did get to use it for a 1/2 hour yesterday and it works great, everyone should own one. I also will approach some local shops with the device, i think it will sell itself.

Comment

• ejkoechling
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jan 2014

Dave, send me some cards and I'll pass them out to some local lgs's in the area

Comment

Working...
                              X