Bumping the shoulder for two different headspaces...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumping the shoulder for two different headspaces...

What do you do when your two rifles are pretty far apart in headspace? My scoped stainless 18" needs to be bumped back to 1.218" but the Sabre defense 14.5" has to be bumped back to 1.211" (Which is basically where Hornady factory is..)

That's a pretty big difference... Would you bump for each chamber or jump bump back to 1.211 for both?

Additional info- both bolt faces are recessed to .136" so I can't change bolts and make any difference. My 18" is a stoner barrel that upon fixing the chamber it was lengthened BUT the saami drawing shows the 1.218" to be acceptable... It seems to me that 1.211" is on the short side.
  • Adam Lilja
    Warrior
    • Dec 2013

What are the lug lengths on the bolts

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Are you hand loading to share between rifles?...or do you hand load a specific load for each rifle?

If you are sharing between the two, then you'll have to bump both to 1.211"...

I personally load for each rifle specifically (i.e. different bullets for each rifle) so I bump to suit each rifle.
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Lilja View Post
        What are the lug lengths on the bolts
        This is a good question... I wish I would have thought of that. I'd love to get them closer by swapping the bolts. Both are Maxim so they should be the same but I'll check.

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
        Are you hand loading to share between rifles?...or do you hand load a specific load for each rifle?

If you are sharing between the two, then you'll have to bump both to 1.211"...

I personally load for each rifle specifically (i.e. different bullets for each rifle) so I bump to suit each rifle.

Oddly enough the same load works well in both... I seat a little deeper for one than the other but that's it.

Comment

You can load all to the shorter chamber with no harm to accuracy unless they are already at sub .5 MOA. The penalty will be reduced case life and need to trim more frequently for brass shot in the longer chamber. I suspect you will still get 10-12 loadings before you see incipient head separation.
          Bob

Comment

If you want rifle specific ammunition get a set of shims from Sinclair that fit under the sizer. Set up for the short chamber and put whatever you need to raise the shoulder height. It works well for me with my 223's. All my 6.5 variants have the same height so all eight if them just require bushing changes and no sizer adjustments.

Greg

Comment

Working...
            X