• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hattrick
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

hornady dies

has anyone had problems with them in 6.5?
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

None at all. I only needed to back off the sizing die a turn or so, to avoid bumping the shoulders too much. The destructions indicated to set the die to contact the ram at TDC, which was too much for my setup, but hey - easier to back off than wish you could compress more.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

When I first set mine up (Hornady dies and #6 Shell holder), I failed to measure the shoulder set back. They were producing a shoulder set back of about .014" - .004" +/- .001" is usually recommended.

That is the only issue I have had.

Comment

• Eisenacharms
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2014

I think I'm going to go this way, I really like all my other dies from hornady. Price can't be beat either. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/374...ProductFinding

Other than the hornady set the redding 2 die set looks good, but I don't have a lot of experience with redding dies.

Unless someone can convince me to go another route?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

if the difference in cost does not bother you go with the redding
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• arizona98tj
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2013

I've used Dillon, RCBS, and Lyman over the past 35+ years. For my Grendel, I bought Redding. It was like stepping up to a new level of quality, IMO.

Comment

I have been thinking about switching to hornady dies for Grendel, Still using my old AA (Lee) dies. I dont like the Lee seating dies but really like the Hornady Seating dies because of the alignment insert. I also like the fact that they have special inserts for their bullets. The Lee's leave a ring around the tip on my TTSX's which kinda tweaks me the wrong way, those little bastards are exxpensive.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Another one for Redding. I love them.
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Dogue
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by joker31 View Post
                  I have been thinking about switching to hornady dies for Grendel, Still using my old AA (Lee) dies. I dont like the Lee seating dies but really like the Hornady Seating dies because of the alignment insert. I also like the fact that they have special inserts for their bullets. The Lee's leave a ring around the tip on my TTSX's which kinda tweaks me the wrong way, those little bastards are exxpensive.
                  Do it! I used to use the Lee's too and they are terrible (I still use Lee in pistol calibers with no issue). The Hornady dies are much more consistent and no "ring" on the bullet ogive. I'm sure the Redding's are awesome but for my use the Hornady's are great.
                  Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• dmsims21
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2012

I am so glad this is a thread on reloading dies made by Hornady and not the death of Hornady.
                    When I read "Hornady Dies", I was worried that the company or a member named Hornady had died.
                    I was relieved.
                    www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• NugginFutz
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Now THAT is funny.
                      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

I have a set of hornady dies and they do a good job. I had to worked with them for a bit but now getting excellent results. I have to set my sizing die a full extra turn otherwise I will not bump my shoulder properly. With that said I am fairly new to the reloading world and not sure if there is any way to correct this without seating them 1 extra turn.

I just went out to the range last saturday with some new work ups of 120gr TSX, 129gr SST, 123gr SST, 100gr AMAX. I was able to get .599MOA out of the TSX and .61MOA from the 129gr @100 yards. Seeing that all my power loads were in the .6-.7moa range I decided to push it out to 300 hoping to see some reliable difference with my 100gr AMAX and 123gr SST. The SST was around .7MOA @300yrds and the AMAX was around .8-.9 MOA I believe. I plan on posting all my results, pics, and loads shortly. All of this was using 3 times fired PPU brass trimmed to 1.515 and IMR 8208 XBR.

Comment

Working...
                        X