Shooting the Brownell's 18" Grendel barrel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RakkasanDad
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2014

Shooting the Brownell's 18" Grendel barrel.

Did some comparison shooting this weekend with my Brownell's 18" Grendel. And I must say that I'm very impressed with this barrel. It is what I consider to be very accurate for a hunting barrel, which is what it is to me. I shot several different loads at 200yrds. The Temperature was 84 F, Humidity 72% and a 10mph wind. Now this is just a comparison done by my son and me booth shooting each load with 5 shoot groups prone. I will list the order of what was the most accurate first to last for us on this day. First was a tie.

1st 120g Nosler Ballistic Tip
    LeveRevolution 31.4gr
    Av. 2498fps
    1" group

1st 123g Factory Hornady SST
    Powder: ?
    Av. 2442fps
    1" group

3rd 123g Factory Hornady A-Max
    Powder: ?
    Av. 2424fps
    1.5" group

4th 120g Nosler Ballistic Tip
    BLC(2) 31.6gr
    Av. 2489fps
    2.25" group

Used CCI #450 primers

Best group of the day was my Son shooting some 120g NBT's with the LeveRevolution.
    He had 1 flyer. The impressive part is that He shot this in 3.5 Seconds!
    Attached Files
    NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Mine shoots fantastic I have gotten several sub half minute groups in my two range sessions with it
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Gotta love that! Two loads going 1/2 MOA right off the bat. The Nosler 120BT is no surprise (awesome bullet for the Grendel) and the convenience of factory through the SST as well.

Congrats!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

have we determined who makes them for them?

Comment

• zbay
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2013

Satern

Comment

• molar
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by zbay View Post
            Satern
            Are you certain? I was planning on getting one of the 18" barrels from Brownells, but probably not if they are Satern after the way the Liberty barrel problems were handled.

Comment

• RakkasanDad
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2014

I wouldn't be afraid of these barrels at all. A friend of mine and I both ordered them and are very happy with them. All the chamber measurements we did on them they were spot on and have been performing great.
              NRA Life Member and Proud Army Dad!!

Comment

• lamrith
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

Did you measure the neck area as well? Does yours measure as Saami chamber or the Grendel2 chamber?
                Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                Anderson Pistol lower:
                16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• jurassic
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Apparently their web site description has been updated to say they have a Grendel II chamber. I don't care, I'm keeping mine.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Which is fine, and I think it only fair that people are allowed to make informed decisions. Glad yours is working out for you.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• lamrith
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
                      Apparently their web site description has been updated to say they have a Grendel II chamber. I don't care, I'm keeping mine.
                      Yeah they changed the description a few days after I ordered mine, which is why I was curious if anyone had measured their chambers to know what they were always Grendel2 or if that is a new and recent change which may mean different accuracy results versus older barrels...
                      18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                      16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                      Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

• m796rider
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2011

Mine has a Grendel II chamber for sure and I was shooting .75MOA groups at 100 yards off a padded messenger bag. I don't think the chamber affects accuracy negatively, at least with the factory Hornady 123SST ammo I was using.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                          Administrator
                          • Feb 2011

The concern was not with accuracy but with that it might be too tight and boost pressure. I'm sure they've fixed whatever was going on. And the consensus is that a "traditional," single-angle throat in the 65G can be very accurate with a bullet tuned to it, which is why Les Baer resurrected an early prototype Alexander Arms chamber to fire the 123 Sierra MK as loaded by Black Hills. The 65G SAAMI compound-throat chamber was specifically designed to shoot the very wide variety of 6.5mm bullets well, as would be necessary in a general-purpose 6.5mm gun.

I am no more against wildcat chamberings that fire factory 65G ammo than I am against the .223 Wylde chamber. It's all good. Calling it the "Grendel II," however, still chaffs me because those who named it such wanted, smirking, to poke 65G owners in the eye. Call it the .264 Satern or .264 Kiff or something.
                          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• m796rider
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                            The concern was not with accuracy but with that it might be too tight and boost pressure. I'm sure they've fixed whatever was going on. And the consensus is that a "traditional," single-angle throat in the 65G can be very accurate with a bullet tuned to it, which is why Les Baer resurrected an early prototype Alexander Arms chamber to fire the 123 Sierra MK as loaded by Black Hills. The 65G SAAMI compound-throat chamber was specifically designed to shoot the very wide variety of 6.5mm bullets well, as would be necessary in a general-purpose 6.5mm gun.

I am no more against wildcat chamberings that fire factory 65G ammo than I am against the .223 Wylde chamber. It's all good. Calling it the "Grendel II," however, still chaffs me because those who named it such wanted, smirking, to poke 65G owners in the eye. Call it the .264 Satern or .264 Kiff or something.
                            I agree 100% that "Grendel" should not be on anything that does not adhere to the SAAMI specs... I'm guessing the Grendel II folks are taking a page from the 6.8SPC II playbook. The difference, of course, is that Bill Alexander's chamber drawings were not screwed up from the get-go.

Comment

• lamrith
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

The accuracy is still great on these barrels.

Shot @ 100yrds yesterday 5, 6, 7th rounds ever down the barrel. Hornady Amax 123Grn factory rounds.
                              .863MOA
                              target1.jpg
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by lamrith; 10-17-2014, 07:08 PM.
                              Anderson Pistol lower:

Comment

Working...
                              X