Problems with my new build - Anyone have headspace gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txgunner00
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Yes. I called and left a message last Monday. Called again Wednesday and they had changed their recording to "email us if you have questions about your order" or something like that. It would be reasonable to assert that they got the message but chose not to respond. I emailed them Wed or Thurs but have not received a reply. Honestly I'm not expecting them to do much because I have modified the barrel (lesson learned there). I would like at least the courtesy of a response so I know what they are willing to do one way or the other. Who knows- they might surprise me and earn a repeat customer. They have several other things listed on their site I am interested in.
    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I borrowed the wife's camera equipment and tried to get some better pics of the chamber. Anybody see anything that stands out?

IMG_4766.jpgIMG_4781.JPGIMG_4769.jpgIMG_4771.jpg

One thing I noticed is the step between the neck and throat seems awfully square. All of the chamber drawings I can find show this to have about a 45 deg angle to it.
      Last edited by txgunner00; 07-20-2014, 07:43 PM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

• txgunner00
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Nuffin'?

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I'm a blank bud, sorry!
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

That first picture is illuminating! It appears that one can actually see the break in taper from the nominal 0.5 degree to 1.5 degree angle. Of course we can't tell the actual angles, but it sure appears that the throat is compound.

A question just popped into my head and only partially answered with quick Google on "chrome plate thickness" which shows the minimum to be 0.005" thick. This means the diameter will be decreased by at least 1 mil from the as finished condition. If the barrel was cut with a minimum spec reamer, and the throat subsequently reduced in diameter by a mil, then the difference between your available OAL and factory ammunition would be explained.

Pity your barrel source is not able to engage in a discussion.

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
            I borrowed the wife's camera equipment and tried to get some better pics of the chamber. Anybody see anything that stands out?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5425[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5426[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5427[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]5428[/ATTACH]

One thing I noticed is the step between the neck and throat seems awfully square. All of the chamber drawings I can find show this to have about a 45 deg angle to it.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
              That first picture is illuminating! It appears that one can actually see the break in taper from the nominal 0.5 degree to 1.5 degree angle. Of course we can't tell the actual angles, but it sure appears that the throat is compound.

A question just popped into my head and only partially answered with quick Google on "chrome plate thickness" which shows the minimum to be 0.005" thick. This means the diameter will be decreased by at least 1 mil from the as finished condition. If the barrel was cut with a minimum spec reamer, and the throat subsequently reduced in diameter by a mil, then the difference between your available OAL and factory ammunition would be explained.

Pity your barrel source is not able to engage in a discussion.
              Just SWAG'ing here: Do you think maybe they could have accidentally cut a few chambers with a normal reamer (intended for their stainless barrels) instead of their correct oversize reamer intended for (to be) chromed bores.....? Just swinging wildly at anything that flies by at this point.

Cerrosafe?
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Update: I ordered a replacement barrel from Mark @ Precision Firearms and received it earlier this week. It started as an unfinished M4 profile Sabre Defense blank that he chambered, cut to 12.5, threaded, installed the extension, drilled the gas port and had melonited. At $275 + shipping with bolt this is one heck of a value in a barrel. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks. I have high hopes for it.

IMAG0427.jpg

I took some pictures of the throat for comparison and you can see obvious differences.

IMAG0423_1.jpgIMG_4807 crop.jpg

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Here are the 2 chambers side by side.

COMP CL PF.jpg

As you can see, the CL barrel has no freebore.

I measured Mark's barrel with 123 SST's and 123 AMAX so far. I will have no problems at all loading to mag length.

I'll be on my way shortly to pick up my steel cased ammo and plan on having some fun this weekend!

Thanks Mark! Nice work. Please feel free to chime in with more detail if I missed something.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

I was able to get a better picture of the PF barrel.

COMP CL PF 2.jpg

Pretty evident why I was having problems with the CL barrel.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2011

This was done with a Mason Reamer.
                      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                      X