Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am down to only one .308win weapon.

The FAL just has to stay.

Anything else in that size would be better off as a .260rem or 6.5x47 Lapua, hell even the 7mm08 is better than a .308win

Comment

The only AR10 in 7.62 NATO I will own will be an original Armalite or Dutch when I can afford one for collector's purposes. That is a piece of history. It's interesting that the FAL and AR10 performed better than the T44 (later type-classified as the M14) in the mid 1950's for the service rifle trials, yet the M14 was selected, since Army Ordnance had "designed" it themselves (really a Garand with a less-reliable gas system and detachable box mag).

It really is too bad the Brits didn't succeed in standardizing the .280 Enfield, or a 6.5mm intermediate cartridge back then for NATO, with the clout of the US in favor of the 7.62x51 influencing the standard NATO rifle caliber. Coulda shoulda woulda...

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

If I owned an AR10 style rifle it would be in 6.5x47 Lapua over the .260. Someday that is the the plan. I'd like to own the big brother, too!

260 Rem is a good caliber, but I don't think the case is as efficient as the Lapua case design, making it more difficult to bring to ultimate accuracy. Brass for the .260 is easier to find, though!

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by MrSurgicalPrecision View Post
          So you're saying I shouldn't be hunting coyotes with my .338 Lapua? Dang it!

Personally if I were in Texas I'd be hunting with my Grendel and not my .308. Up here in Missouri I use both. I like the .308 for the larger bodied whitetails but the Grendel does the job adequately as well.
          You can hunt coyotes with a howitzer! The more the merrier as far as I am concerned!

I'm pretty sure that the Grendel will work on ANY whitetail. If it will drop an elk at 400 yards, chances of it not doing the same to deer are slim and none. (Of course actually hitting the deer is the first objective!)

Comment

Yep, the Brits had the right rifle and actually had enough data to select a 6.5 cartridge had they been given enough time to do some thorough testing.

That entire selection was rammed down the throats of everyone involved and AO was wrong yet again

Comment

Originally posted by stanc
              So, shoot .308 in an AR15...
              Rofl. Nice.

Comment

I use an ar grendel with a 14 inch barrel on hogs. It is lighter and faster with follow up shots than my .308 fn fal. BUT.. even with open or red dot sites on the grendel hitting a 2nd or 3rd running pig is more luck than skill .

Comment

Originally posted by MrSurgicalPrecision View Post
                  So you're saying I shouldn't be hunting coyotes with my .338 Lapua? Dang it!
                  Depends on how far away that yote is.

Comment

Originally posted by stanc
                    So, shoot .308 in an AR15...
                    Interesting, though you can get a Handi-rifle for about 1/3 of that.

Comment

• DangerClose

I figured this would start a brush fire. It was honestly intended to do so. I was looking for opinions as to what people liked.

Thanks for all your imput guys

Comment

• stanc
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

Two and a half pages of rather mild posts, you call a brushfire??? More like a couple of matchsticks, I'd say.

Now, if you want to see a raging inferno, go to 68forums and start a "6.5 Grendel vs 6.8 SPC" thread.

Comment

• LR1955
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DangerClose View Post
                          I figured this would start a brush fire. It was honestly intended to do so. I was looking for opinions as to what people liked.

Thanks for all your imput guys
                          DC:

Why did you intend it so?

Even in the last Grendel forum, we didn't get real heated when arguing the merits of the .308 vs Grendel or even the 6.8 to the Grendel.

Not sure you will be able to start a huge blow up on this forum by asking for comparisons between the Grendel and other cartridges. These days most guys have shot it enough to know its strengths and weakness compared to other platforms and cartridges so theoretical contrasts have been tempered by reality.

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by stanc View Post
                            Two and a half pages of rather mild posts, you call a brushfire??? More like a couple of matchsticks, I'd say.

Now, if you want to see a raging inferno, go to 68forums and start a "6.5 Grendel vs 6.8 SPC" thread.
                            According to some, Grendel shooters breathe fire and eat their own children to make up for an inferior firearm. Lol

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by RStewart View Post
                              According to some, Grendel shooters breathe fire and eat their own children to make up for an inferior firearm. Lol
                              So THAT'S what I'm doing wrong, no fire breathing or eating of children!!

Comment

• DangerClose

All im looking for is opinions. Just seeing how people weigh the two bullets. my only criteria is for a bullet is stopping big hogs in my area. So, better stopping power at close range

Comment

Working...
                                X