X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by DangerClose View Post
    All im looking for is opinions. Just seeing how people weigh the two bullets. my only criteria is for a bullet is stopping big hogs in my area. So, better stopping power at close range
    Well, then, that's easy! Beowulf!!

Why go .30 cal or less when you can go .50!!

Comment

Or just use cheap rifled slugs for the 12ga.

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
        Or just use cheap rifled slugs for the 12ga.
        Duh!! Why didn't I think of that!

Comment

• DangerClose

Im already working on a ksg. i want to try an ar platform and i wont build a beowulf till my lower is an sbr. This is just for fun and maybe for shooting out of a helicopter.

Beowulf is coming

Comment

Originally posted by DangerClose View Post
            ...This is just for fun and maybe for shooting out of a helicopter...
            I'm jealous! Never shot from a helicopter, but have from a fixed-wing, so couldn't hover. Targets weren't hogs, though.

Comment

• DangerClose

Im working on getting the paper work settled with the State. Its not "hunting", its "extermination". They are costing us tons of money on one of the leases Im on. If we can get the farmers around us to allow us to shoot on their lands, they might even help with fuel. Time will tell.

Comment

• burnsome
                Warrior
                • Jun 2011

i have two 308's set up for hunting and like them for what they do. both remmy 700's, both 20-inch tubes. one is suppressed and the other is not. just built a 6.5 AR though, and am finding i prefer it over the 308's because its lighter and shorter. built mine with a 12.5-inch barrel and its light and handy for the woods. with a suppressor mounted, its super quiet and still about like toting an 18-inch barrel overall length. havent connected with any yotes with it yet, but am trying. had many whitetails in the scope crosshairs but season isnt open yet. am looking forward to seeing how it performs on putting the critters down when the season opens.

Comment

As dry as it's been in Texas the last couple of years a couple of matchsticks would be a brush fire. The only game animal here that might be borderline for a Grendel IMO would be a Nilgai. Not that it wouldn't kill one it's just that they are fairly stout and plenty skittish and with less than a perfect shot or dogs you might never retrieve it. Just my $.02 YMMV.

Cheers, Will

Comment

I have just returned from a 15 day wild pig hunt with my boys (men actually ) 34 &41 years old, we shot 98 pigs, mostly big bores. i have a grendel bolt gun built from a ruger 77mk2 7.62x 39. & using 100g nozler ballistic tips & 28g of bench mark.
                    shot a number of pigs with it, other rifles used were 3- 308 win,1- 350 rem mag,1- 444 marlin &1- 6.5x 55. this hunt is a yearly family event in western Queensland Australia, we have shot about about 1200 pigs over 15 years on that property . and a lot more on cape york over the years.
                    How does does the 6.5 grendel compare to the 308 win ?. on big bores at similar ranges 30 meters to 250 meters. Not very well in my opinion. ! easy to shoot less recoil ect , but does not the same knock down power as a 165g 308 especially with a badly placed shot. reality is as much as you try in the real world of pig hunting some times you screw up.
                    Heaver 6.5 projectiles say 120 g would be better but they intrude into the case & compress the powder . A 140g 6.5 out of a 6.5x55 leaves it for dead.
                    The grendel is fun to shoot, easier on your shoulder, not as loud, only burns about 28g of propellent but its not in the same class as a 308 win on killing pigs.I will try to post some photos.
                    As a vietnam veteran i can say the grendel is much better than than a 55g 223.The Australian army used the both the M16 5.56 & 7.62 nato in the FN FAL rifle in that conflict.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2011, 08:49 AM. Reason: fix grammer

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by rdog View Post
                      I have just returned from a 15 day wild pig hunt with my boys (men actually ) 34 &41 years old, we shot 98 pigs, mostly big bores. i have a grendel bolt gun built from a ruger 77mk2 7.62x 39. & using 100g nozler ballistic tips & 28g of bench mark.
                      shot a number of pigs with it, other rifles used were 3- 308 win,1- 350 rem mag,1- 444 marlin &1- 6.5x 55. this hunt is a yearly family event in western Queensland Australia, we have shot about about 1200 pigs over 15 years on that property . and a lot more on cape york over the years.
                      How does does the 6.5 grendel compare to the 308 win ?. on big bores at similar ranges 30 meters to 250 meters. Not very well in my opinion. ! easy to shoot less recoil ect , but does not the same knock down power as a 165g 308 especially with a badly placed shot. reality is as much as you try in the real world of pig hunting some times you screw up.
                      Heaver 6.5 projectiles say 120 g would be better but they intrude into the case & compress the powder . A 140g 6.5 out of a 6.5x55 leaves it for dead.
                      The grendel is fun to shoot, easier on your shoulder, not as loud, only burns about 28g of propellent but its not in the same class as a 308 win on killing pigs.I will try to post some photos.
                      As a vietnam veteran i can say the grendel is much better than than a 55g 223.The Australian army used the both the M16 5.56 & 7.62 nato in the FN FAL rifle in that conflict.
                      I wouldn't expect 100 grain Nosler BT's to compare with 165 grain .308 bullets. However, shoot 100 or 120 grain Barnes or a similar tough bullet and see what happens. The BT is a very accurate bullet, but plenty of people think that they are not constructed heavily enough for deer, much less pigs. Shooting a big boar with a 100 grain Nosler BT seems a little less effective than optimal.

Comment

• usmc1371
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2011

sounds like personal prefence. i have killed deer and hogs with 308, 45-70,10mm,270wsm. shot placement is the most critical requirement....

Comment

Working...
                        X