• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dammitman
    Warrior
    • Dec 2012

opinions on bolt preference

so now we have plenty of 6.5 grendel replacement bolts available with no delay. so what would your opinions be on the best to the not so best without reguard to cost. this post is also to help folks who are lurking find these bolts so be sure to reply with a way to find the site to order the bolts you are going to be fond of. be sure to give a few details of why you like your choice. thanks!

I've had my hands on most of them except for the AA Hard use bolt, so far I like the Precision Firearms bolt. I would really like to try an AA bolt with the IonBond DLC coating (hard use.)

Comment

• BjornF16
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

IMHO

1. AA hard use bolt
      2. PF bolt
      3. AA regular bolt

I have all of these...plus a couple supplied by Satern.

ETA: PF does some extra work on their bolts to polish them up...
      LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
      Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

AA Hard Use
        JP Enhanced Bolt
        PF/Maxim Bolt
        Underground Tactical Bolt

All of these are high grade 9000 series alloy. I haven't put my hands on the new JP bolts yet, but JP makes products that have never let me down since 2003. The AA hard use bolts have the nicest fit, feel, and finish that I've seen so far.

My AA regular bolt is going strong after 5 years of use, and I shoot in volume. Most of my range sessions involve ~100rounds, some more, some less.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2014, 02:43 AM.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

My AA regular bolt is going strong after 5 years of use, and I shoot in volume. Most of my range sessions involve ~100rounds, some more, some less.

Same here. I've got thousands of rounds down range since I started, and my original AA bolts have never quit or been a problem in any way.

I originally didn't comment, because I've never used anything else.

The only thing I've ever been able to break on a Grendel is one extractor. It was in my 10.5" and had been used full auto, suppressed, and absolutely filthy for a very long time. I have a pack of spare extractors, and keep a spare bolt in the grip anyway. I expected to break more by now but never did. I'm quite happy with AA. I did grab some "Hard Use" bolts to throw with the regular ones in the spare parts pile, but still haven't needed them.

If somebody makes somethng better than the AA bolt, I've never had the need to find out.LOL
          Last edited by Variable; 07-20-2014, 03:21 AM. Reason: Spellin'
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Dos Perros
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2014

Do you guys notice the Maxim's tearing up the brass? Seems like the extractor is really sharp and gouges the rims pretty bad. I have some pieces of Lapua brass that have only been fired three times and they are chewed up.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
              Warrior
              • Apr 2011

That is why we hand deburr and polish ours. You can do it too with a dremel and polish wheel.
              "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• SG4247
                Warrior
                • Aug 2013

I have visually inspected both when new and after firing, measured (dimensional), and shot them all.

My personal favorites are:

1. JP enhanced bolt
                2. ARP superbolt (no longer sold)
                NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• dammitman
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2012

now who has one available in nickel boron coated? hopefully precision firearms!!!!

Comment

• dammitman
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2012

so there are no nickel boron coated grendel bolts out there?

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Precision Firearms offers one. (I think)

Yep, they do.
                      Custom AR-15 Rifles, Custom Uppers, Custom Lower, 6.5 Grendel, AR15, AR 15, AR-15, AR15 upper, custom upper, Lilja, DPMS, Precision, Precision Firearms, Precision-firearms, percision firearms, custom upper, custom ar, custom ar15, barrels, rifle barrels, Shilen, CAA, Command Arms, Yankee Hill, Yankee Hill Machine, 204 ruger, .204 ruger, 223 wyld
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• shooter545
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2012

I have the following and have used two of the three of them hard with no issues.
                        AA in an AA factory 20" upper
                        PF in a Lilja barreled build
                        Underground Tactical: this is a spare right now although it could grow into another upper.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                          Warrior
                          • Apr 2011

Nickel Boron Bolts are shipping again today. We have plenty left over!
                          "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

Working...
                          X