What lightweight rail for 12.5" barrel build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

What lightweight rail for 12.5" barrel build?

I'm pulling my hair out trying to shop this build.

IF I did a super lightweight build using a 12.5" barrel with a thread mounted suppressor, and wanted the rail to cover the gas block and terminate very near the rear of the suppressor, which one to use?

I love the BCM Keymod's mounting method between the rail and the barrel nut, but they don't have the right length rail. I like the Centurian CMR's looks better, but it's either too long or too short depending on which one is used. Seems to be the same for the MI Gen2 SS rails also.

The majority of the 12 inch rails seem to actually be over 12.5" long. Then their 10" rails really are 10". What the heck!LOL It's a conspiracy.

Who makes a decent, good looking rail that is very light and comes in a length very close between 12" and 11.5"?????

Caveat: I haven't actually picked a thread mount can for it yet, but assuming a 12.5" barrel with a muzzle thread length of .6" should yield a barrel length of under 12" behind the can. If my perpetually sleep deprived and punch drunk noggin is figuring correctly?
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Whats the OD of your suppressor? The SAR3 has a 1.5" ID.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Have the Lancer Carbon HGs been over played?

This one measures 12.5" 2" OD, 1.8" ID - 9.6 oz including barrel nut.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2014, 04:52 AM.

Comment

They also have a Carbon buttstock in A1 and A2 lengths - 9.4 oz.

Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2014, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• burkew23
          Warrior
          • May 2013

SLR has the The 12" Solo Lite keymod that weighs 9.8 oz, I think that's with the barrel nut but not positive. 1.3" ID

They have a Solo "Ultra" Lite Series too but they only have 10" and 13" so it must be a conspiracy!!

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
            Whats the OD of your suppressor? The SAR3 has a 1.5" ID.
            I haven't picked a can yet either. I'm wishing AAC and Liberty would hurry the heck up and get their cans out. I'm leaning towards the Liberty "Triumph" because it weighs only 12oz. http://libertycans.net/centerfire-ri...ssors/triumph/ AAC's "Ranger3" http://www.advanced-armament.com/RANGER3_p_441.html is running a close second in my mind right now. I have to see who will bore one for 6.5 use. Either way, most of them are 1.5" diameter, and usually they are just under that in reality. Silencerco also has a really neat new lightweight hunting can out called the "Harvester" http://www.silencerco.com/harvester It'd be perfect for what I'm wanting if they'd ditch that dorky muzzle brake and shorten the stack a little bit.

I could use a fatter rail for an "SD" look, but I don't want the rail past the muzzle for the rare occasion I'd use it sans the can. I never liked fat rails, I bitch about them at work.LOL I keep Larue rails on my personal stuff, but it's time to go on a serious diet.LOL The BCM KMR10 only weighs 6.3 ounces with the barrel nut! I wish they'd make it in a length around 11.5".

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
              Have the Lancer Carbon HGs been over played?

This one measures 12.5" 2" OD, 1.8" ID - 9.6 oz including barrel nut.
              Hee Hee, yeah, they look a little pimpish for my needs.LOL Too long also, unfortunately.

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
              They also have a Carbon buttstock in A1 and A2 lengths - 9.4 oz.

Still pretty pimpish. I'm thinking a stock fiberlight butt @ 4.6oz, but I might splurge and get a LWRC UCIW @7.32oz https://www.lwrci.com/p-361-uciw-ult...act-stock.aspx -----if the weight budget allows it along the way.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
                SLR has the The 12" Solo Lite keymod that weighs 9.8 oz, I think that's with the barrel nut but not positive. 1.3" ID

They have a Solo "Ultra" Lite Series too but they only have 10" and 13" so it must be a conspiracy!!
                Hermm. I missed the 12" somehow. There is a conspiracy on the ultra lite though!!!

If the perfect rail doesn't reach out and grab me eventually, I guess I'll have to suck it up and leave ugly naked barrel peaking out of a KMR10.LOL

ETA: I'm going to put the 12" Solo Lite Keymod on the possible list.
                Last edited by Variable; 07-17-2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I've spent half the night and all morning trying to read about the SAR 3 rail, and it's maddening trying to find good info. There have been too many SAR rails, changes, and proposed SAR rails. Searching keeps turning up info on stuff that apparently wasn't made (keymod, etc.), or older rails.

The SAR 3 12" rail is longer than 12 inches from what I can tell, and has 1.5" interior space, but not enough to comfortably float around a 1.5" diameter can from what I can guess/gather.

The ventilation slots look nervously large for my girlish fingers as well. I can't tell for sure. I've touched exactly one glowing gas tube in the past (came through the handguard), and I wish to never repeat it.LOL

Cory: Can you touch the barrel or gas tube with your finger? Assuming you have "manly" hands (LOL), can you touch with your pinky?
                  Last edited by Variable; 07-17-2014, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Variable I'll look at that this evening. However, it'll be a couple of weeks before I get it set up with the gas tube.
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

This is no real help, but FWIW...

I think the reason that many handguards are ~12.5" to ~12.6" is because it's the appropriate length on barrels with rifle-length gas and exposed gas block / front sight. From a manufacturer's perspective, this length will have more appropriate applications over a 12" or 13" rail, and theoretically more sales potential.

If I had a new handguard design to bring to market, with limited funding thus requiring that only one length be manufactured in the initial run, I would introduce it in ~12.5" length. It could be used appropriately with barrels from 14.5" to 24".
                      Drifter

Comment

• m796rider
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2011

I'm guessing the Noveske NSR KeyMod 11" would work quite well. They're a cinch to install and are very light and slim.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                          This is no real help, but FWIW...

I think the reason that many handguards are ~12.5" to ~12.6" is because it's the appropriate length on barrels with rifle-length gas and exposed gas block / front sight. From a manufacturer's perspective, this length will have more appropriate applications over a 12" or 13" rail, and theoretically more sales potential.

If I had a new handguard design to bring to market, with limited funding thus requiring that only one length be manufactured in the initial run, I would introduce it in ~12.5" length. It could be used appropriately with barrels from 14.5" to 24".
                          Well sure, in the real world of manufacturing. But in my world of "I want it, and I want it now!", it's obviously a conspiracy!

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
                          I'm guessing the Noveske NSR KeyMod 11" would work quite well. They're a cinch to install and are very light and slim.
                          I wish it had built in swivel sockets and was a couple ounces lighter, but it's in the zone, so it's added to the list of possible candidates. I'm not crazy about drilling a receiver to install an anti-rotation pin either. Still, a candidate though. Thank you.

Comment

• m796rider
                            Warrior
                            • Jul 2011

Only the Noveske factory rifles come with the pin version of the NSR. The standalone rail available for purchase does not require you to modify your upper in any way. I personally like the BCM low profile keymod QD sling mount for the flexibility it gives you.

Comment

• Drifter
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

DD MFR 12.0 is actually a 12" handguard I think.

Parallax Tactical PXT comes in a 11.5" version.
                              Last edited by Drifter; 07-18-2014, 01:05 AM.
                              Drifter

Comment

Working...
                              X