What lightweight rail for 12.5" barrel build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Yeah, when I saw this pic a lightbulb went on in my head:

BOTTOM CLAMP RAIL ON LEFT, KMR TOP CLAMP ON RIGHT

There are probably plenty of folks with the other rails that haven't had any trouble, but I could definitely see where it might happen. Your experience is confirmation of that.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
      "Dammit Jim"...

I guess I'll go with the 9" KMR...I like how KMR locks up the hand guard. At BoomerShoot this year, my MI Gen2 h/g kept coming loose (and we tightened it up as much as we could stand without stripping the screws).
      Did you put green loctite on the outside of your MI barrel nut before you installed your MI Gen 2 hand guard? I haven't had any problems after I did this.

Comment

When you buy an NSR it comes with the pin, Mega and Rainier arms uppers come with the hole predrilled depending on which one you buy. They are overpriced imo, but they are small in your hand.

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
        Only the Noveske factory rifles come with the pin version of the NSR. The standalone rail available for purchase does not require you to modify your upper in any way. I personally like the BCM low profile keymod QD sling mount for the flexibility it gives you.

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
          Did you put green loctite on the outside of your MI barrel nut before you installed your MI Gen 2 hand guard? I haven't had any problems after I did this.
          Nope...but I may give it a shot as I like the MI Gen 2 h/g. (I take it you also experienced the "walk off"?)

ETA: I noticed that SLR advertises an "anti-rotation and anti-slip system" for their h/g's (which have bottom clamping)...anyone have extended bipod shooting experience with these?

The KMR appear to be the lightest of the group...can these be "Cerakoted"?
          Last edited by BjornF16; 07-20-2014, 01:40 PM.
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

My hand guard started to creep forward after an extended shooting session. It continued even after I had over tightened and cracked a H/G barrel nut lug. MI replaced the hand guard free of charge after I called them and they recommended green loctite. I applied green loctite on all of our MI H/G's and none of us have had anymore problems. I have been a little concerned with these hand guards in this area but they have run with out fail so far after applying green loctite.

If the KMR wont melt at 300 degrees it can be H Cerakoted. The KMR looks like a top notch H/G. If you have any questions just call them and they will answer any cerakote questions. http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/about/

I have a SLR H/G but I haven't done my build yet so I have no useful experience to share at this time .

Comment

• burkew23
              Warrior
              • May 2013

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
              ETA: I noticed that SLR advertises an "anti-rotation and anti-slip system" for their h/g's (which have bottom clamping)...anyone have extended bipod shooting experience with these?

The SLR rail has anti rotation tabs that fit onto the upper reciever. They don't work on some billet uppers like Mega's. I haven't had mine for long but to try an answer your question I twisted the handguard as hard as I could and it twisted slightly before the tabs stopped it by hitting the receiver wall. But this took a lot of force to do and I doubt it'd be possible to twist with bipods.

The last picture is how far it twisted. When I twisted it back it re-centered well.

Comment

Working...
              X