What lightweight rail for 12.5" barrel build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post

Cory: Can you touch the barrel or gas tube with your finger? Assuming you have "manly" hands (LOL), can you touch with your pinky?
    Well when I wrap my hand around the rail my finger won't fit through.

Now if I try really hard to stick my pinky in there, I can.

I can just get the tip of my pointer finger in. I'm not sure if it would have touched a gas tube.

I would think that since the tube would be so exposed to the atmosphere with this rail, it would dissipate heat rapidly.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

So your Gyrene "booger hooks" will kind of a little bit fit inside...LOL J/K!

Then my dainty Air Force spider monkey digits probably would.

I'll grant that they likely will cool faster. I have a registered sear, but wouldn't anticipate doing mag dumps out of a Lilja tube. I ain't rich or dumb enough to find that fun.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• explorecaves

SLR Solo Lite Series has a 10" and a 12" length. Keep in mind the threads for the muzzle device on the barrel will take up a little of the barrel length too.

12" Billet Version
        1.3" ID
        Lightweight Design 9.8 oz
        Super slim profile
        KeyMod mounts utilize all KeyMod accessories
        SLR's QMod - All KeyMod mounting holes double as QD Mounts
        Hardcoat Anodize
        7075 Billet barrel nut
        Barrel nut can be loosened with gas tube in place
        Grade 8 Fasteners
        Proven anti-rotation and anti slip system
        No Special Tools Need for Barrel Nut
        Continuous top rail design
        Mil-Spec 1913 Mounting rails

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
          Administrator
          • Feb 2011

That SLR stuff is lookin' mighty nice. . . .

I'm kind of liking what I see of the KeyMod system. Seems a good way of attaching stuff, or not, without tearing up your hands. Now, does anyone know of rubber grip sections made for the KeyMod system?
          :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
            That SLR stuff is lookin' mighty nice. . . .

I'm kind of liking what I see of the KeyMod system. Seems a good way of attaching stuff, or not, without tearing up your hands. Now, does anyone know of rubber grip sections made for the KeyMod system?
            If you aren't dead set on rubber, check out these made from G10.... http://monderno.com/gear-reviews/rai...d-grip-panels/

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
              Warrior
              • Apr 2011

We stock all sizes and types of SLR Hand guards. Let us know if you want pricing on any.
              "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Here is a pic of a 12.5" barrel with the BCM KMR10 on it.

An Arfcommer helpfully posted it up for me in a thread I started there.

Thanks "andrewz71"

The BCM KMR10 is the obvious choice weight-wise (6.3 ounces!). I just wish I could close the gap between the rail and the can a touch more. I should probably stop being such a fashion princess though.LOL

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by PrecisionFirearms View Post
                  We stock all sizes and types of SLR Hand guards. Let us know if you want pricing on any.
                  Thank you Sir. I'll definitely keep that in mind while my shopping continues.

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Would the KMR10 work on a 10.5" barrel and allow the use of a can on a QD flash hider?
                    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                      Would the KMR10 work on a 10.5" barrel and allow the use of a can on a QD flash hider?
                      I couldn't day for certain (without one here to screw together) but....

10.5" Barrel -minus- 10" rail = .5" naked barrel out the front.

.5" naked barrel -minus- .6" threaded muzzle section = -.1" barrel shoulder on muzzle threads.

So (theoretically) your QD flashider would be rebated 1/10th inch into the interior of the KMR rail. The KMR is 1.3" in ID according to BCM, so it would then hinge on the OD of your muzzle attachment and where your can mounts on it in relation to that.... Of course, if the KMR10 is actually longer than 10" then all bets are off.LOL

ETA: Crap, disregard--- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_1/159...ge=2#i46056004 It seems the KMR10 is actually 10 3/8" long, so "all bets are off"...
                      Last edited by Variable; 07-19-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by variable View Post
                        eta: Crap, disregard--- http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_1/159...ge=2#i46056004 it seems the kmr10 is actually 10 3/8" long, so "all bets are off"...
                        "Dammit Jim"...

I guess I'll go with the 9" KMR...I like how KMR locks up the hand guard. At BoomerShoot this year, my MI Gen2 h/g kept coming loose (and we tightened it up as much as we could stand without stripping the screws).
                        Last edited by BjornF16; 07-19-2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I'll try to dig more tonight.

Good info on the MI Gen2. I'm not warm and fuzzy over some of the other rail's attachment methods either. The KMR looks rock solid in that department.

Comment

• explorecaves

The SLR has tabs to lock the rotation of the hand guard to the upper. Combined with the clamping design, it is pretty stabile from what I understand.

Comment

• txgunner00
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                              Based off what I can measure on my setup I'm going to say no.
                              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• BjornF16
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                                Good info on the MI Gen2. I'm not warm and fuzzy over some of the other rail's attachment methods either. The KMR looks rock solid in that department.
                                Variable...I had heard issues with some of these clamp design before, but finally experienced it firsthand at BoomerShoot with sustained fire off a bipod. This Twang-n-Bang video (from your earlier arfcom thread link) made the light come on.

I will replace the MI Gen2 with a 10 or 13' KMR (or similar) and plan on getting the 9" KMR for my future 10.5" Grendel.

Comment

Working...
                                X