• Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
    There is a muzzle brake version that fits 9/16"-24 threads as well:

http://thunderbeastarms.com/products/30cb5
    10dB louder than the 30P-1 (with 308). 10 times louder, but will only seem twice as loud to human perception (logarithmic scale)....

You should get one, and drive over here and compare it to my 762-SD.LOL The 10.5" shot unsuppressed will damn near make your ears bleed (shot mine in my deer stand---ONCE!). So, I'm thinking that one will only rattle your dentures maybe? Might be okay though.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Yes, the 30PSS is really meant for 300 BLK, and would be a compromise leaning towards a shorter overall set-up, versus sound suppression.

TBAC recommended the 30PS over the 30PSS for the Grendel. They have new mini brakes that are worth looking at too.
      I need to find a silencer shoot on the east coast. This stuff is SO expensive to guess at. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        10dB louder than the 30P-1 (with 308). 10 times louder, but will only seem twice as loud to human perception (logarithmic scale)....

You should get one, and drive over here and compare it to my 762-SD.LOL The 10.5" shot unsuppressed will damn near make your ears bleed (shot mine in my deer stand---ONCE!). So, I'm thinking that one will only rattle your dentures maybe? Might be okay though.
        LOL...I have a YHM 7.62 can very similar to your 762SD...I'll lean towards the 30PS version...still shorter and much lighter than my YHM and your AAC ;-) ...unless, of course, you find a better one!
        LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
        Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
          LOL...I have a YHM 7.62 can very similar to your 762SD...I'll lean towards the 30PS version...still shorter and much lighter than my YHM and your AAC ;-) ...unless, of course, you find a better one!
          Funny you should mention it. I just registered on Thunder Beast's forum, and I'm typing up my intro and laying out what I'm looking for right now.

ETA: Request for recommendations on TBAC forum here: http://thunderbeastarms.com/forum/th...e-from-wv.374/

We'll see what Zak has to recommend regarding Grendel SBR use.
          Last edited by Variable; 07-21-2014, 03:16 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

You have me curious about Ti cans sparking now. If I can get my 12.5" barrel figured out, I have a place or two I might be able to shoot it with my YHM Ti 7.62 after dark. As far as suppression goes, what little I did shoot it sounded great.
            NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

We need a modular supressor. Screw on more length for more supprssion, less length for more maneuverability.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Here are some vids with the sparks a goin' on.

Classic case example:

Ti Yankee Hill Machine Suppressor on a Socom 16.MOV

Some other examples:

YHM 7.62 Ti Phantom (On the AR in last half)

SureFire vs QSM -Suppressor Comparison- (QSM throughout)

Even 22LR postol cans sometimes...

Last edited by Variable; 07-21-2014, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  We need a modular supressor. Screw on more length for more supprssion, less length for more maneuverability.
                  That would be sweet, but goodness knows the ATF couldn't allow something like that to happen.

Comment

• Overwatcher

I have an ARK30 from Templar waiting for a stamp,needless to say my experience with Templar (or the ATF as they say) was painful.Can looks great,compact and light.I will report how it does when the ATF decides they don't want to hold it hostage anymore.
                    Zak over at TBAC is a stand up company,I would have gone that route but they didn't have their compact hunting line of cans out yet.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Overwatcher View Post
                      I have an ARK30 from Templar waiting for a stamp,needless to say my experience with Templar (or the ATF as they say) was painful.Can looks great,compact and light.I will report how it does when the ATF decides they don't want to hold it hostage anymore.
                      Zak over at TBAC is a stand up company,I would have gone that route but they didn't have their compact hunting line of cans out yet.
                      I feel like people are reading my mind.LOL I was just searching Sniper's Hide for info on the Ark30 when I clicked back here to check for new posts.

Yes, please let us know all about it! I note that Templar specifically markets a short barrel rated version of their Ark30 and Nemesis30 cans. They even okay use on a 7" 5.56 barrel as long as you keep it semi. Thunderbeast doesn't do that.

I don't plan on "going all free gun", but I'd hate to trash a can because I got an itchy finger once.

I'd pay good money to see and hear the 30PS, Ark30SBR, Nemesis30SBR, and the Griffin Sportsman .30 all fired on the same SBR host in the evening time. The lightest one that could clock under 138dB at the shooter's right ear while not looking like a sparkler display explosion would be the winner.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Here's a thread with a pic of an Ark30 core in the second post: http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers...-tactical.html

A user serviceable can isn't really all that important in a rifle can (IMHO), but I guess if you crudded it up experimenting with subsonic loads you could clean it out. You could inspect for damage and erosion easier I guess too. I'd like to see the inside of their SBR rated core. I wonder if the first baffle is just thicker, or if they added something else?

Comment

• Overwatcher

A user serviceable/take down can is a really good deal in my opinion.
                          1) I get to have my "machinist" eye inspect every minute detail of it
                          2) cleaning is an added bonus
                          3) if I do have a subsonic load tumble in the baffles,boom I send the core in and can have a direct replacement without any ATF querks.
                          4) *Believe at your own risk* The guys over at templar said that if they ever came up with a newer better baffle design,they would be able to "upgrade" your can.
                          A fully welded suppressor that takes a baffle stfike is not so fun for anyone..being the serial number portion of the can is now permanently attached.
                          Things to consider while your shopping...

Comment

• keystone183
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                            That would be sweet, but goodness knows the ATF couldn't allow something like that to happen.
                            OOOOORRRR..............would they........

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by keystone183 View Post
                              OOOOORRRR..............would they........

http://www.silencerco.com/products/#/salvo/

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

While I'm looking at different cans, I note that some of them are rated for different cartridges at specified barrel lengths, i.e. 5.56 @ 14", 300BlK @ 14", etc. I know that muzzle pressure and percentage of powder burned are what they are likely looking at.

Can any of you math whiz guys with quickload give me some educated pressure guesses for the Grendel at a specified barrel length? Like say... 12.5" Grendel (with a warm load like the Hornady 123 Amax) vs. a 12.5" 5.56 with M855 (or some other warm load)?

Comment

Working...
                                X