• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burkew23
    Warrior
    • May 2013

JP Silent Captured Spring Weight?

I had been planning a lightweight build for my fluted Lilja 304 barrel and all of Variables posts got me thinkin again. I think I share his same obsessive thoughts for ounces of every little component.

Anyway I'm trying to see if using a JP Silent Captured Spring would be lighter than a lightweight buffer that weighs 3oz. I know this sounds crazy but I need to know...

SO long story short, does anyone have a scale they can throw their Silent Capture on?
  • DRandi
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2013

JP silent capture spring weights 205 grams and with the rifle length extension 233 grams. Don't have a stock spring and H2 buffer to compare total weight to, got rid of all mine.

David
    A nice walk in the woods helps me relax and relieves tension....

The fact I'm dragging a shovel and a body should be irrelevant...

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Hmmm.....

205 grams equals 7.231 ounces

According to this thread on Arf: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/6...5_.html&page=1 an H2 buffer weighs 4.66 ounce, and a carbine buffer spring is about 1.9 ounce.

So roughly 6.56 ounce (for H2 and spring) vs. 7.231 for the JP.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• burkew23
        Warrior
        • May 2013

Thanks David!

From the all the praise I hear on the Silent capture it seems like it'd be worth the sacrifice of a couple ounces. Call me crazy....

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
          Thanks David!

From the all the praise I hear on the Silent capture it seems like it'd be worth the sacrifice of a couple ounces. Call me crazy....
          Crazy! (You asked for it)

Lightweight uber alles! Without the sproing, you ain't shootin' an AR!
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• burkew23
            Warrior
            • May 2013

Comment

Put some superlube synthetic grease on your spring and buffer for sproing.
              Works great,non-toxic and rated from -50 to 450 degrees.
              Clear and reduces wear up to 4 times over other grease.
              One of the best lubes I've tried.
              14 bucks for a 400 gram tub on E-bay.
              Enough to last a long time.

Comment

• DRandi
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2013

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
                Thanks David!

Hey Crazy, I do think the JP Silent capture spring is worth the money. I do try and save weight on my rifles but not at the expense of function. The cost of the spring in the grand scheme of things is small potatoes compared to everything else I have spent money on. I would suggest getting the spring kit that JP sells to tune your rifle also. It's pretty cheap, think it's $20.00 for 4 extra springs. The other thing I did was remove the buffer detent from the lower. Makes life easier with the JP spring and removes some more weight, next to nothing, but hey still a little less right.

David

Comment

• DRandi
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2013

Originally posted by 45r View Post
                  Put some superlube synthetic grease on your spring and buffer for sproing.
                  Works great,non-toxic and rated from -50 to 450 degrees.
                  Clear and reduces wear up to 4 times over other grease.
                  One of the best lubes I've tried.
                  14 bucks for a 400 gram tub on E-bay.
                  Enough to last a long time.
                  If your rifle is used for recreational use then this is fine, anything else avoid doing this. Was told by a big name manufacture, (think it was JP or Rock River) who the name escapes me right now that it adds a potential malfunction point if your must depend on your weapon. It will collect debris if you are in a dust enviorment. It will also plug the drain holes in your buffer tube.

David

Edit: It was from Armalite with regard to malfunction testing by CRANE.
                  Last edited by DRandi; 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

+1

If the noise bothers you, your muzzle brake is malfunctioning.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Since the grease is clear it's easy to see when it needs to be cleaned off.
                      I take the stock off the tube and blow dry it with a hair dryer.
                      The grease is easy to remove after that from inside the tube and the spring and drain holes.
                      A thin coating is all that's needed.
                      It works well in the cold,rainy and icy conditions in the north country where I live.
                      Not much dust to worry about

Comment

• burkew23
                        Warrior
                        • May 2013

Good info from all, thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
                        X