Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lightacres

Lothar Walther barrel break-in

20140722_105110_resized.jpgJust showing the results from a Savage build using a Lothar Walther 24" 8twist varmint weight 6.5 Grendel barrel that LW chambered for me. These are shots 16,17,18 at 110 yards. 90 degrees. Fired as a string 30 seconds apart. Group measured .486". I'm pretty impressed. Its looks like it will get better as soon I put it into a better stock(this was the factory stock that came with the rifle I built it from...a Tupperware type stock and some reloads/bullet weights for this barrel(I'm just using some 120 gr reloads I use for my 18" barrel AR during barrel break-in). Trigger is the Savage accutrigger. Factory setting at about 2.5lbs.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM.
  • Butterbean
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

Nice work. Looks like a winner!
    Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

That is indeed a nice looking group!

What kind of new stock are you going to go with?

Comment

• lightacres

Of course I'd like to get a McMillan, Manners, Hs precision, etc....but can't bring myself to spend the bucks...I will probably get a Boyds Tacticool and then do the pillars and glassbedding myself. But I will keep watching the forums and ebay just in case something comes along that will fit and I like. I'm in no rush as its really getting to be hot in Texas. I do most of my shooting in the cooler months so by then I will have it stocked and ready for lots of shooting sessions.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

Sounds about like all the options I was looking at. I am tempted by the Whidden gunworks V-block instead of the glass-bedding though. With that option you could quickly swap barrels and change what round you are shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by lightacres View Post
            [ATTACH]5430[/ATTACH]Its looks like it will get better as soon I put it into a better stock(this was the factory stock that came with the rifle I built it from...a Tupperware type stock...Trigger is the Savage accutrigger. Factory setting at about 2.5lbs.
            Is the stock an Accustock bu any chance?

If so, you might be surprised at what you find inside that 'Tupperware"...the barrel is bedded into an aluminum rail.

Comment

• lightacres

Thanks for the tip. I will check out Whidden.

Comment

Working...
              X