Want to Start First Grendel Build (on a budget)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to Start First Grendel Build (on a budget)

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since my last post here, but it's been a long time since I've had the spare funds to consider building a new upper!

Here's what I'm looking for:
    -A long range simple hunting rig that will be able to consistently shoot 1 MOA or better with good factory loads or handloads. (deer, antelope, coyotes, and smaller)
    -Barrel is going to be free-floated 22" or longer, preferably not a full bull barrel
    -The cheaper for the whole build the better.
    -One exception to the rule, is I would be open to spending a little more to get a side-charging upper.

Here's what I'm willing to do:
    -I'm open to waiting a good while to buy the components
    -I am open to buying tools to build the rifle better as long as they aren't super expensive (bonus if I can make the tools myself!)
    -I am definitely open to blemished parts. This will be a practical rig, and not a showpiece.

What I have so far:
    -A Spike's lower with CMMG LPK, Rifle length buffer assembly and with an A2 Stock
    -Current upper is a Red X Arms (super tight fit to lower) assembled upper receiver, 5.56 16" M4 cut barrel from Sportsman's Guide, and basic rifle length tubular aluminum knurled handguard over the low-profile handguard
    -Redfield BattleZone 3-9x42 scope (LOVE this scope and the full MOA system) held on with a Nikon M223 mount.
    -Harris bipod

My planned build thus far:
    Receiver: PSA blemished upper stripped
    Receiver: (plan B) Side Charger
    Barrel: Need suggestions and help here
    Handguard: would love something like Nordic Components Customizable extended rifle rail (15" $95 at Midway)
    Gas Block: Do I need an adjustable block?
    Bolt Carrier: AIM Surplus?
    Charging Handle: Not picky
    Optics Mount: Nikon M223 or M223 XR?
    Scope: Redfield BattleZone or ???

Long story short, I am open to opinions, would love a lighter contour barrel paired with a side charging upper. Top priority is accuracy, followed by lowest price.
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

With a Grendel I'd suggest a billet upper for the extra strength. For side charging upper I suggest Quality Arms.

Contact Mark at PF about his Sabre barrels. Great deal. However, I'd save the money on a side charging upper and spend it on a match barrel. Buy once cry once. Can get a great one from Mark at PF made to your specs or drop in AR740 from Lilja.

Gas Block I'd go SLR hands down, pricey but you get what you pay for.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I like the look of the Quality Arms uppers, but it could be too much to spend.
      Would it be more cost effective to purchase a separate bolt and receiver such as the YM stripped bolt and assemble it?
      And what about the LAR Grizzly OPS-4 for $80 less?

As for the barrels, I will be contacting him tomorrow most likely. the Lilja AR740 sounds good as well.

Anything cheaper than the SLR gas block? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the gas block needs to be adjustable or not.

Comment

• Apparition
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

If you're worried about budget I see Brownells has 24" grendel barrels in stock for $290. It'll likely shoot well enough to meet your standards.

Use discount G2H for 7.5% off, the one I just ordered was $283.xx shipped.
        Last edited by Apparition; 07-23-2014, 11:17 PM.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by batty110 View Post
          I like the look of the Quality Arms uppers, but it could be too much to spend.
          Would it be more cost effective to purchase a separate bolt and receiver such as the YM stripped bolt and assemble it?
          And what about the LAR Grizzly OPS-4 for $80 less?

As for the barrels, I will be contacting him tomorrow most likely. the Lilja AR740 sounds good as well.

Anything cheaper than the SLR gas block? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the gas block needs to be adjustable or not.
          I haven't gone the side charge upper route, but if or when I do I assure you I'd spend the extra and get the quality arms.

If you'll never be shooting suppressed and your running a rifle length gas system with rifle buffer system, then you shouldn't "need" it. It'll be nice to have.

The best way I can explain it is the difference will be like the difference in driving a new Corvette and new Mustang. Sure the Mustang has got power for days, but the ride isn't going to be as smooth as the Corvette.

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

batty Check out the DPMS LoPro receiver http://www.midwayusa.com/product/138...ProductFinding I have used it on a couple of builds it is very strong although it doesn't have a forward assist or ejection port cover it has not been a problem for me. I have also used the Nordic Components handguard very nice for the money. if you need rails that's when it gets expensive I bought a Magpul rail section for $6 and with a little fiddling I got it to work.

Comment

Any idea who makes the barrels that Brownells is selling? the 18" offering had a less-than-good review.

I wish I could shoot suppressed, but ...Minnesota... *sigh* I plan on making a supressor and registering it if our laws change or we move.

How does the gas block affect the feel? Less jarring/softer recoil, or is it purely a smoothness of cycling?

As for the LoPro receiver, I'd probably get another of the Red X Arms uppers that I already know fits well and is almost the same price. I appreciate the input though.

I'm glad to hear that that handguard is good as it is currently the most promising option. All I need rails for is to be able to mount my bipod. I've used a drill press before to add a short rail section to the plain tubular aluminum handguard on my 5.56 upper.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

Any idea who makes the barrels that Brownells is selling? the 18" offering had a less-than-good review.

They seem to be Satern's liberty line that has imposed the bull shit Grendel II chamber.

I wish I could shoot suppressed, but ...Minnesota... *sigh* I plan on making a supressor and registering it if our laws change or we move.

How does the gas block affect the feel? Less jarring/softer recoil, or is it purely a smoothness of cycling?

All of the above and a pretty little pile of brass to look forward to.

As for the LoPro receiver, I'd probably get another of the Red X Arms uppers that I already know fits well and is almost the same price. I appreciate the input though.

I'm glad to hear that that handguard is good as it is currently the most promising option. All I need rails for is to be able to mount my bipod. I've used a drill press before to add a short rail section to the plain tubular aluminum handguard on my 5.56 upper.
                See the red.

Comment

• Apparition
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2014

Cory, where'd you get the info on the Brownell's barrel? I've got an 18" and it's a great shooter, I haven't read anything negative about them here. Maybe i'm missing something. Here's the most recent thread I saw.

Did some comparison shooting this weekend with my Brownell's 18" Grendel. And I must say that I'm very impressed with this barrel. It is what I consider to be very accurate for a hunting barrel, which is what it is to me. I shot several different loads at 200yrds. The Temperature was 84 F, Humidity 72% and a 10mph wind.

I picked up one of the 18" brownells grendel barrels when they were in stock and just got around to getting to the range with it, didnt work up a load just went plinking the wind died long enough to get a good 3-shot group at 100 yard picture is worth a thousand words and such.... (http://s1237.photobucket
                  Last edited by Apparition; 07-24-2014, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll have to do a little reading up on the different chamber versions.

That may just be worth it as reloading is something of major interest to me. Are cheaper alternatives capable of getting close to the same result as the SLR gas block? I see Brownells has two for under $60 (Seekins and Double Star)

Apparition- I was referring to one of the two reviews posted on Brownells.

Comment

• Apparition
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

Thanks for the info, I'll have to do a little reading up on the different chamber versions.

That may just be worth it as reloading is something of major interest to me. Are cheaper alternatives capable of getting close to the same result as the SLR gas block? I see Brownells has two for under $60 (Seekins and Double Star)

Apparition- I was referring to one of the two reviews posted on Brownells.
                      I have the Geissele non adjustable gas block on my 18" Brownell's barrel Grendel, I've not had any issues. I didn't know of the SLR when I built that 18" but might use one on the 24" I just ordered.

With the Brownell's lifetime guarantee the barrel is worth a try and whomever wrote that review should have sent it back if it was that poor. Mine has no such issues. I know of nobody who has received a Grendel II from Brownells.
                      Last edited by Apparition; 07-24-2014, 04:34 AM.

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Apparition View Post
                        Cory, where'd you get the info on the Brownell's barrel? I've got an 18" and it's a great shooter, I haven't read anything negative about them here. Maybe i'm missing something. Here's the most recent thread I saw.

Did some comparison shooting this weekend with my Brownell's 18" Grendel. And I must say that I'm very impressed with this barrel. It is what I consider to be very accurate for a hunting barrel, which is what it is to me. I shot several different loads at 200yrds. The Temperature was 84 F, Humidity 72% and a 10mph wind.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...l-review/page1
                        Huh they may have changed there supplier. I know that when Brownell started carrying them during the height of the liberty debacle, we we're a pretty sure they were liberty barrels.

Comment

• Apparition
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by cory View Post
                          Huh they may have changed there supplier. I know that when Brownell started carrying them during the height of the liberty debacle, we we're a pretty sure they were liberty barrels.
                          They may still be made by Satern but Brownells is saying they are chambered to SAAMI specs and I see no reason to distrust the good people of Brownells. Satern is capable of making really good barrels, but we have no idea who's making these. The people whom have purchased these barrels have been satisfied and especially at that price which includes the bolt, batty110 wants a budget build shooter and due to Brownells being 4-5 hours away he'd have it Monday if ordered today.

Comment

I will definitely be calling up PF to see about the Satern barrels as well as Brownells to see what the chambering is/if they know who makes their barrels. I am basically looking for the best value, and these definitely sound like they could be it. This will probably have to be the first purchase towards my upper since there is the 7.5% discount right now that could make this the lowest price for a long time.

Comment

There are other barrel manufacturers that make OEM stuff, Green Mountain and Wilson are two that I know of. Brownells will take care of you if your'e not happy, and no one really knows who makes their barrels at this point. I have one, but have not built a rifle with it yet so I'll reserve judgement.

Originally posted by cory View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X