Grendel gas pressures vs. 5.56 pressures....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Grendel gas pressures vs. 5.56 pressures....

Does anyone know what muzzle pressures the 6.5 Grendel produces at various barrel lengths? I'm personally interested in the Psi at 12.5" with a factory load like the Hornady 123 Amax, but for reference, education, and the use of others, I'll take whatever pressures you might have.

I'm also interested in comparisons between the Grendel and 5.56 at various lengths (12.5" personally ). Generic chamber pressures aren't too hard to find, and I know the 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures than Grendel, but what is going on farther down the bore? Percentage of powder burned at various lengths (especially @ 12.5" )?

Thanks for any help. I think it's pertinent not only to suppressors, but also to muzzle brakes too. The percentage of powder burned will also give some clues to how much muzzle flash should be exoected.

I'm thinking maybe some of you guys who use/understand Quickload might know. That's above and beyond my paygrade, so what do you guys know?

I asked in my suppressor thread, but it's in accsessories, so it might not get seen where the ammo and loading guys are. It's a semi-pertinent general purpose knowledge thing anyway, so I re-asked it here.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Sounds like a JASmith question to me.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
      Sounds like a JASmith question to me.
      Yeah, I specifically had him in mind when I asked.LOL I just didn't name him directly bescause I didn't want him to feel pressured.

Comment

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        Yeah, I specifically had him in mind when I asked.LOL I just didn't name him directly bescause I didn't want him to feel pressured.
        Pressured? When dealing with pressssssure?

Oh well...

To the specific question, it is a straightforward QuickLoad exercise. Best bet is to send a load recipe for the Grendel and one for the 5.56 and the rest should be easy provided the bullet and powder are in the QuickLoad Library. For various reasons, a load drawn from the Hodgdon or Western Powders site will be more comfortable for me to work with.

Cheers!

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

beast of a can) so I can't use it as a baseline for comparison
          Last edited by Variable; 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
            Warrior
            • Apr 2013

'Located a couple related Links for the 5.56:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armamen...hilipDater.pdf (Check Page 14, BARREL LENGTH and BORE PRESSURE)
            Last edited by SHORT-N-SASSY; 07-25-2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Wow! Thanks SHORT-N-SASSY! That's pure gold for the M855 pressure!

That nails the muzzle uncorking pressure down pretty darn good.

5.56 M855 11.5" muzzle pressure would be pretty darn close to 10,140psi then.

A theoretical 12.5" 5.56 barrel firing M855 should be right around 9264psi.

Comment

• rasp65
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

Variable I have a copy of a pressure curve of a 123 AMax in PDF form. PM me and I will email it to you.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

PM sent! Thanks.

I had also just sent an email request to Hornady too. I'll post up anything I get back from them as well.

Comment

• rasp65
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

Variable That's fine I made a weak attempt at posting it but was unable.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Thanks Rasp! I cheated, and turned the PDF into a JPG by taking a screenshot of it and then cropping it.LOL

Yikes! That's higher than I had hoped it would be. A good bit higher. It looks like about 12,500psi for a 12.5" barrel on that chart?

I had hoped the Grendel would have lower pressure than the 5.56, not more.

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2013

As I view the pressure curve and corresponding velocity curve of a conventional parallel bore, in the graph, above, I'm reminded to the principle of the tapered-bore guns of WWII: muzzle velocities over 4,800 fps (http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3595).

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

If that chart above is correct, it puts the pressure out of my 10.5 Grendel at roughly 15,000psi. That's about equivalent to an 8" 5.56 barrel.

Hold on a sec--- that chart shows a load of 27 grains of Win 748. My hand loads are 31.7 grains of Win 748 behind a 120gr. Nosler BT. I have no idea what the factory Hornady is, but it's a bit warmer than 27 grains of Win 748 I'd bet.

So the fricken' pressure is likely even higher if the data on that chart is accurate....

No wonder I got flashbanged when I lit my 10.5" Grendel off in my semi-enclosed deer stand....

We still don't know the percentage of unburnt powder, and I'm guessing the volume of gas escaping the muzzle would play into it as well.
                          Last edited by Variable; 07-25-2014, 10:44 PM.

Comment

QuickLoad seems to be running higher peak pressures than shown in the Hodgdon and Ramshot pages. There is also a difference between the bullet base pressure and the chamber pressure (See QL 'change diagram' - 'Optional Diagrams' when the plot is selected.).

I got about the same pressure and burnt percents (94% ad 15ksi).

The server I use for images seems to be down -- I will post the charts when it comes back up.

Comment

Several years ago Quickload overestimated the pressure on some (not all) Grendel loadings. Some reloaders were terrified by high Quickload results, even on loadings that had been physically pressure tested by Bill Alexander as safe. Bill Alexander explained that the geometry of the Grendel cartridge somehow did not meet certain assumptions in the Quickload software. I do not know if the glitch in Quickload has been fixed.

This issue comes up every few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X