• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kharb
    Unwashed
    • Apr 2014

New from Northern Indiana

Hey all! Newb here from north central Indiana (Michiana). Been lurking for a while but finally got access to post. Lots of great information here!

I'm an AR fan, as well as a firearms fan in general, and have been branching out to new calibers. Have several 5.56, a 22LR, and a 300AAC (SBR suppressed - as soon as F4 clears). Decided I wanted a long range AR and, after a bunch of research, would give the Grendel a try. Everything I've read is great about it. In the process of building the one below now - waiting on the barrel. I welcome any advice and look forward to chatting with all of you!

K-Harb

Current build:
    SAA SA-15 Multi Cal Forged Lower (made by Aero)
    Crosshill XSR-15 Ambi Side Charge Upper with NiB BCG
    Shilen 20" 1:9 HBAR Profile Barrel
    Nordic Components NC-1 FF XL Handguard
    Magpul PRS
    ERGO Tactical Deluxe Grip w Shelf
    Hiperfire Hipertouch 24C Trigger
    Vortex Viper HS-LR 6-24x50 FFP XLR
    Larue LT104 30mm VFZ Mount
  • Jakal
    Warrior
    • May 2014

Welcome! Seems to be a few Hoosiers on the board. I'm starting my build also. Going to start with the upper and then go to the lower, since I already have lowers that would work just fine. Let us know how it goes and post some pics once you have it together!
    Last edited by Jakal; 07-26-2014, 02:50 AM.
    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Welcome aboard!
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• cbe1962
        Warrior
        • Sep 2012

Welcome kharb from another Michianan (Bristol). I have a very similar Shilen barrel on mine (probably the same if you ordered from Midway) and used another for a build for a friend. I have not had a chance to stretch mine out, but my friend was reliably hitting a 3" square at 550 yards last month. Where do you shoot?

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Welcome, glad your here

Comment

• kharb
            Unwashed
            • Apr 2014

Thanks everyone!

cbe1962: Good to hear on the Shilen. That's the one I'm waiting on from Midway. I was a little hesitant as I've always been of the mindset of "you get what you pay for" and that just seems like too good of a deal. I'm a member at HTCC up in Niles. Our range only goes a little past 200 yds though so I'm looking for a new place with a little more distance in the area.

Comment

• cbe1962
              Warrior
              • Sep 2012

Shilen makes Alexander Arms' upgrade barrels - that helped me make my decision. Quite a few members have them too and I do not recall any bad reports.

I have a 200 yd range at the Warsaw Pistol & Rifle Club and can, but haven't had the chance yet, stretch out to 350-400 on a friend's property down there.

If you are interested, I have a quantity of the mil-spec barrel nut grease (AeroShell 33MS) and can get some to you for your build.

Comment

• aclark
                Warrior
                • Dec 2011

Welcome from Crown Point. We should all meet sometime and have a little Grendel fun. Check out the different barrels and builds, have some fun shooting.

Comment

• Wheelhorse
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

Welcome from NC!

Comment

Welcome. Hearing about all these 200yd and even 600yd ranges makes me grateful to live where I do. I need a 20mm Lahti Anti-tank rifle to reach out to the distances we have in the West. It's on the list. A mortar would be better.

Comment

Working...
                    X