• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rugerfan.64
    Warrior
    • May 2014

McGowen Barrels

As I have stated previously , I am slowly accumulating parts for a budget upper build. I have been reading the forum and noting information. My parts box is starting to come together. I am at the barrel selection stage. I will order when I have the $. I have not made a definite decision on the barrel, I'd love to have a Shilen, or one of those beautiful Lilja barrels. This being a budget build upper I want to save money, and still have an accurate hunting rifle. It'd be nice if it would drill nice little sub .5 moa groups as well. My question is , has any one used McGowen barrels? I have read good things about them before. I have read bad things about them before as well. I would appreciate any input on this subject as I have not carved my barrel choice in stone.
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I can't help a lot about McGowen, because I've never used one, but I will advise one thing-----

If you are primarily interested in accuracy, then the single most crucial AR part you will buy will be the barrel. The scope and trigger will help you manifest an AR's inherent accuracy, but the barrel is really where it all comes from. If you can splurge on only one single part, make it your barrel.....
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
      I can't help a lot about McGowen, because I've never used one, but I will advise one thing-----

If you are primarily interested in accuracy, then the single most crucial AR part you will buy will be the barrel. The scope and trigger will help you manifest an AR's inherent accuracy, but the barrel is really where it all comes from. If you can splurge on only one single part, make it your barrel.....

+1 great advise!

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

+2...A great barrel is the foundation. The AMU uses standard forged uppers and lowers, and I've heard they even can be pretty sloppy, and they still shoot great, because they have good barrels.

Pay what you can afford for the best barrel you can get for the money!

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
          Warrior
          • May 2014

Thanks for the advise so far. In all actuality Black Hole barrels and McGowen are really close on $'s. I still have a while to go before I commit to anything. After all my daughter is only 4. This will be her rifle. I have quite a while but I like to over think everything. I have been reading about reamer problems in times past with McGowen barrels, have these been corrected? BHW barrels , I have read some good things about them, just don't know about the poly barrel rifling .

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Many of the BHW barrels shoot very well, and they are very easy to clean. I've had two of them, and found them to be more difficult to find a very accurate load for than traditional cut or button barrels. They only chamber in 264 LBC.

I'd probably take a McGowan, assuming I could get them to confirm what chamber was going in it.

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
              Warrior
              • May 2014

I have an email to them now wanting those exact facts. I have read about Loki barrels , I think thats right, on here. From what I gather they were McGowen barrels chambered by Loki ? Now defunct. Am I correct in this ? Supposedly some great shooting barrels.

Comment

.5 moa is a pretty tall order if you're not willing to spend some coin on a barrel. It will also most likely take quite a bit of time behind the trigger and formulating a load as well. I understand being on a budget (3 kids) but in the long run you'd be really well served by spend an extra couple hundred bucks on a nice barrel. Otherwise you may find yourself wishing in one hand and... You probably know the rest.

Comment

McGowen builds nice barrels, I have one, on a McCoy built M1 Garand that I use in Garand only matches. It has won every match I've entered it in. But a Garand is not a .5 MOA gun no matter the barrel. So, I can't say much about abilities in that area. But mine will shoot under 1 MOA which is phenomenal for a M1 Garand.
                  Bob

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

I didn't say it has to shoot 1/2" groups , I said it would be nice. Half inch groups are hard to come by, for me anyway. All of my bolt guns shoot around 3/4" , I have tinkered with them naturally. Triggers , free floated the barrels, such as that. In all actuality 1 - 1 1/4" is all the hunting accuracy I will ever need. Its hard to hold an inch while hunting. Its hard to get these deer around here to stand still for more than 1 shot. Three shot groups are what I use , just good hunting accuracy. The last time I shot a Garand I was trying to make the cut for the Nat'l Guard team, that's been a day or two ago. While 1/2" groups would be very nice indeed, I don't deem it necessary. My AR gets around 3/4", I just want to be sure I can depend on at least that.

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2011

PM Me about these barrels.
                      Last edited by PrecisionFirearms; 07-30-2014, 07:47 PM. Reason: removed Public Post
                      "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• UtahYoteCaller
                        Unwashed
                        • May 2014

I can't say anything about a McGowen Grendel barrel but my 9" .300 barrel is a great barrel, and i like it a lot.
                        ************************************************** ******************
                        Joshua Needham
                        6.5 Grendel the round that reaches!

.223 RRA 16" CAR4 Upper / STS Tribal Lower
                        .300BLK NTD Custom Billet Upper / Lower / 16" HM Defense Fluted SS Barrel
                        .300BLK Pistol DD A4 Upper / STS Tribal Lower / 9" McGowen Fluted SS Barrel / Sig SB15

Comment

Working...
                        X