• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wilecoyote
    Warrior
    • Jul 2013

The start of another build...

So in usual fashion, I started accumulating parts. Now another build is falling together. I just picked up a Magpul STR stock (i have wanted to try them out). Got a new in box FailZero NiB BCG, but the bolt is useless and will end up being a spare as the next build will not be a 5.56. It will have to be another Grendel rig as I have come to really like this round.

I have a Vortex Viper scope to put on top of it. Since my last is Seekins based, I might go Noveske or Mega this time. Cant decide on the rail though, still leaning towards a DD.

I have a 20" barrel currently but have wanted an 18" for a while. So what does the horde think, 18" or 20"? I know I will loose some velocity, but it will be minimal.
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I have all three different barrel lengths in the Grendel. The best length barrel depends on what your main use with the rifle will be. I Love the 16" barrel if I'm doing a lot of hiking and walking and if weight is a concern. The shorter the barrel the easier the rifle is to carry. My 16" Grendel gets carried more than any other because of this. My 20" Grendel shoots like a dream and is used more for recreation shooting. If I could only pick one length Grendel barrel I would pick the 18". The velocity difference between the 18" and 20" is not enough to be a concern and is my favorite length for hunting in the changing land scape of Montana. In reality, who only wants one barrel length? Just like a tool box the more tools you have the more (fun) options you have

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
      Warrior
      • May 2014

I am on my way to my first build. The reason being for my daughter who is 4. I have plenty of time. My wife doesn't believe me either. She'll want one after I get this one done I'm sure. The reasoning behind the 6.5 for me is this. We shoot a 1" x12x12 steel plate at 300 yds regularly. When we shoot the AR at it we have to really listen for the splash and it doesn't hardly get the plate to swinging. I want something that is going to smack and move it with authority. 6.5 Gren should provide this. Should also relate well to deer.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
        Warrior
        • Feb 2012

I have an 18" Lilja barrel, still working on the right load for it but it is getting over 2500fps with the cfe loads at the high end of the load table without pressure signs.
        I am also working on my third Grendel build that will have a 20" pipe and a Quality Arms ambi upper when I get the money for it.
        sigpic

Comment

• usmc1371
          Warrior
          • Aug 2011

I'm building my second Grendel in an 18" bbl. The bbl is from bhw. Still waiting on it to ship. I'm trying to find the right butt stock. Would like a magpul ubr or an ergo f93. I have a Grendel in a 24" pipe. It is too long for hunting.

Comment

Working...
          X