• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stvaughn
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2013

Group buy build won't cycle bolt.

• explorecaves

Assume you verified gas ports on barrel and gas block are centered on each other?

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
      Assume you verified gas ports on barrel and gas block are centered on each other?
      Exactly what I was thinking!

The gas block shouldn't butt up against the 0.860" portion of the barrel. There should be a gap.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• TheDroz66
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2013

I had the same problem. Here is the link to that thread and ideas that others had for me. I was able to get mine to cycle after adjusting the gas block out quite a ways. I had originally installed my gas block up against the shoulder not realizing that I needed the space. This link has a couple of pictures showing how far off I was between the gas block and gas port (which I found after taking it apart). Hope this helps!
        I finally finished getting everything together and had a chance to go out and shoot for the first time on Saturday. I had a few issues and so wanted to run them by the Horde to make sure I did everything correctly. First, I could not get it to cycle. I have a JP clamp on adjustable gas block and I backed out the screw their
        Last edited by TheDroz66; 08-01-2014, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• rickOshay
          Warrior
          • Apr 2012

Had the same problem with a previous build. The gas block was pushed against the shoulder.

Pen points to where the hole in the block was positioned relative to the gas port.

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

I doubt it is that because it clearly states in the instructions that come with the JP gas block:"If you have installed a free floating
            hand guard on a military spec barrel, there will be approximately a .025” gap between the back of the gas block and the
            shoulder on the barrel." It could be the gas key has an obstruction. I had a complete BCG that had a gas key was not completely drilled.

Comment

• Butterbean
              Warrior
              • Oct 2012

If the carrier doesn't move AT ALL upon firing, there's a complete gas blockage. A pal had this (no carrier movement) with his fresh build. We troubleshot it & discovered the gas tube was upside down............yeah, I know.
              Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• terrywick4

hook up a hose to the gas line inside the upper (I used an air line from the fish tank pump) and you should be able to blow air thru it fairly freely, if not your gas tube is not lined up correctly and the bolt will not cycle correctly.

Comment

• Drifter
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Does it eject and not pick up (feed) the next round?

Does the BCG move at all upon firing?

What buffer and spring are being used?

What type of bolt carrier?

Have you tried a different gas block? (It seems that an adjustable block is not needed since the upper isn't over-gassed, and in my experience, non-adjustable gas blocks seem more efficient versus most adjustable blocks completely opened up.)

While the properly functioning 24" upper suggests that the lower is working correctly, it doesn't necessarily mean that the lower will also be tuned to a 20" barrel with the same length gas system.

Perhaps the OP can elaborate on "won't cycle".
                  Drifter

Comment

• terrywick4

did you figure this one out yet?

Comment

• Butterbean
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

Pins & needles......
                      Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• stvaughn
                        Unwashed
                        • Jul 2013

Comment

• Drifter
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Slower-burning powders are more likely to provide reliable function. As you have found, 8208 can be a little fast-burning on a Grendel with an appropriately-sized gas port. 8208 works reliably for many people because Grendel barrels are often over-gassed (which is why so many people use / need adjustable gas blocks).

If desired, your setup could likely be tuned to run with 8208 by using a lighter-weight bolt carrier, or by enlarging the gas port by a few thousandths. To avoid risk of damage to the barrel, a ligther BC is the safer option (albeit more expensive).
                          Drifter

Comment

• stvaughn
                            Unwashed
                            • Jul 2013

Thanks Drifter, I just happen to have a lot of 8208 on hand and access to a mill. How many thousands do you think it would take?

Steve

Comment

• dmsims21
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2012

Steve, what size is your has port currently?
                              www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

Working...
                              X