• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tackdriver
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Drilling a hole in carbon fiber handguard

I have a 24" bull barrel grendel and sometime back I removed the aluminium free float tube and replaced it with s carbon fiber tube to shed some weight. I picked up a Versa pod from a hoarder member a couple months ago and now I want to mount it to this rifle.

My question is , is this material going to splinter like crazy ? Does anyone have a proven method?
    I was thinking of using a fairly aggressive ( ubber sticky) tape and drilling a tiny hole and gradually increasing bit size until I reached proper size. I am not of the properties of this material, should I be drilling slowly ( like metal) or high speed ?

Any input will be appreciated!
  • Michael
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

tackdriver - I have not drilled into a CF handgaurd, but I have drilled into flat pieces of CF. Best way I found to do it was to sandwich the CF piece with wood/sheet metal on both sides. Also, using a VERY sharp bit is a must. On the handguard, maybe put a tight piece of wood dowel or metal pipe on the inside? I think your challenge will be the curved nature of your piece.
    Also, make sure you wear a mask or respirator.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
    - Voltaire

Comment

• Adam Lilja
      Warrior
      • Dec 2013

Use the highest RPM available. I don't think you need to worry about splitting the material

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Use a good tape inside and out at the spot you plan to drill. It will help keep edges from fraying as you drill.

Comment

• usmc1371
          Warrior
          • Aug 2011

I did drill a hole in my cf handguard. You are going to need a backer ring. Most likely the cf is about .08 thick. Any bolt or stud will have about 1 thread. I made my ring out of 4140 steel. One piece. I glued it in place the used two sling swivel studs and one 10-32 screw. It holds up real well.

Comment

• tackdriver
            Warrior
            • Feb 2013

The versa pod has a slightly curved back plate with a threaded barrel that would slip into the hole drilled in cf. Definitely not trying to thread into cf. Thanks for your input, I will let you all know how it turns out.

Comment

Tip:

Use a carbide drill on highest possible rpm, do not use a handdrill! Use Scotch 851 Tape for covering the area you wish to drill. After drilling, you can "seal" the inner area of the bore hole with clear nail polish or smear a small amount of epoxy on that surface.

Comment

• Butterbean
                Warrior
                • Oct 2012

Some suggestions from machinists : http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-fiber-264914/

I'd also imagine that Mark @ Precision Firearms has done quite a few...
                Last edited by Butterbean; 08-03-2014, 12:06 AM.
                Lifetime: NRA, GOA, 2AF

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2011

We use a grinding bit. For those DIY, use a dremel grinding bit at high speed. Go slow to prevent heat and blow the dust away as you "Drill". Then smooth out the edges and round over. Seal with Nail Polish. Using a bit will normally end up tearing the fibers on the inside.

Another way is to glue a steel plate to the inside of the HG where you want to drill. Use an epoxy cement. Then drill with a Sharp bit (high Speed) through CF and then slower through the steel plate.

Lawyer Talk: Use Full Face mask, Breathing apparatus, Safety glasses, and Gloves when working with CF and High Speed tools.
                  "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• jawbone
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2012

many thanks for the tips, PF. comprehensive and thorough.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Use a Rotabroach drill set- aggressive teeth at low rpm., plus it has a centering point built into it. Found a set at snap on . com. works great, use a $3 deburring tool to finish the inside-from the outside. I drilled my 6 yr. old AA carbon fiber unit - looks fine. Yes a small amount of fine grit dremel action is needed- so easy.

Comment

• tackdriver
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2013

Thanks to all! I will post a pic( if I ever figure out how) once I get done. The gun is a shooter but heavy as hell.

Comment

• wheelguner
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2011

Practical Machinist has helped out more times than I can remember. Good site to add to your bookmarks.

Comment

Working...
                          X