government snipers to kill almost 3000 deer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

government snipers to kill almost 3000 deer...

The National Park Service has tentatively approved a plan that envisions government sharpshooters killing more than 2,800 white-tailed deer at three Civil War battlefields in Maryland and Virginia over the next five years to curb damage to plants and trees.
  • Slappy
    Warrior
    • Feb 2014

When I see this it reminds me of how stupid our government really is. Hunters shooting deer for food or snipers shooting dear for food, what is the difference in a controlled environment?? They get paid for this? BANG BANG!!

Comment

• wheelguner
      Warrior
      • Oct 2011

If they opened the parks to hunters and used a fee lottery system they could make money instead of wasting our tax dollars.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Ahem - but then that would be the feds admitting that civilians can be trusted in a public setting with firearms. It would also subject the gub'ment to the anger of the Bambi crowd for appearing to facilitate wild-eyed Elmer Fudds killing all those cute adorable Disney Feature Creatures. Neither of these potential outcomes would be desirable to an already troubled administration.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Originally posted by wheelguner View Post
          If they opened the parks to hunters and used a fee lottery system they could make money instead of wasting our tax dollars.
          The bureaucrat sees "civilian" hunters as an undisciplined lot prone to shooting at anything that moves or contrasts with the background. They don't want holes in non-game animals, signs, buildings, and people.

The 'professional' hunter' -- whether a contract or afederal employee -- has the training and discipline to avoid those foibles. (We hope!!)

Now, if that fee lottery system includes a half-day classroom training and five shots on the range so the 'civilian' can show he or she knows which end of the bullet comes from. Couple that with an affordable bond for damages, and the excuse will go away.

Comment

• usmc1371
            Warrior
            • Aug 2011

I see the overpopulation of whitetails in some of the neighborhoods in my area. We have several state parks that are overcrowded with dear. No state agency will do anything about them. Tree huggers will have field day when the snipers do there dirty work. Maybe they should be called "precision hunter".

Comment

• rebelsoul
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

Hunting, to manage the population of a species, should be a resolved issue. However, the misguided opposition inserts emotion where logic should be applied. God gave man dominion over the animals, so get with the program and dominate them. The farmers I lease from suffer so much crop damage that they treaten to shave my bottom and sit me in a bucket of witch hazel if I don't kill more deer. Certification, training classes, no thanks... Senator Tom Daschle once said, "You don't professionalize until you federalize." I disagree. I see mandatory firearms training and hunter education courses as an infringement on my rights. Does 2A stipulate training and education? Many of us here in the south are as dumb as we look. I prefer the risk to personal safety over the risk of losing individual liberty. Certifications, training, licenses, registrations... Many steps down a slippery slope. Recently a cop in Alabama shot a deer while on duty, out of season, on a government reservation. Training doesn't eliminate bad behavior...A one day mandatory government eye-wash with a multiple-choice test doesn't help me sleep.
              "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

Originally posted by rebelsoul View Post
                ...Senator Tom Daschle once said, "You don't professionalize until you federalize."...
                The good senator is one of the bureaucrats who seems to think the Federal process is the ONLY process and may have failed to read the constitution and Bill of Rights. Comments like those suggest that, at best, he does not understand them.

I disagree. I see mandatory firearms training and hunter education courses as an infringement on my rights.... ...Training doesn't eliminate bad behavior...A one day mandatory government eye-wash with a multiple-choice test doesn't help me sleep.
                I share the unease with government control of our lives.

We already have mandatory courses as prerequisites for hunting licenses. Getting permission to take a firearm into a National Park where firearms are prohibited is a big deal.

I have had too many experiences with reckless blasters in deer season to be comfortable with a simple lottery where the only requirement to hunt is a current hunting license.

A lottery system with training and liability bonds as part of the process of getting access would make a lot of people sleep easier while moving the cull from a mindless slaughter to a continuation of our traditions.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                  ...I share the unease with government control of our lives.

We already have mandatory courses as prerequisites for hunting licenses. Getting permission to take a firearm into a National Park where firearms are prohibited is a big deal....
                  What really should be seen as a big deal and an affront to our Constitution is that we have to get permission. IMHO
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• rebelsoul
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

When I'm KING, you will be required to carry a weapon when you enter the forest. I plan to maintain my position at the top of the food chain!
                    "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

Originally posted by cory View Post
                      What really should be seen as a big deal and an affront to our Constitution is that we have to get permission. IMHO
                      Why do you think it is spelled "Kalifornia"? Hunting is defined as a "privilege" with about as much bother to get a hunting license as it is to get a driving license.

But, having been shot at by a few stupid hunters has colored my viewpoint ... as have more than just a few crazy drivers.

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Why do you think it is spelled "Kalifornia"? Hunting is defined as a "privilege" with about as much bother to get a hunting license as it is to get a driving license.

But, having been shot at by a few stupid hunters has colored my viewpoint ... as have more than just a few crazy drivers.
                        I should have been more clear. I was referring to simply carrying a gun into national parks.
                        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• rebelsoul
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2014

Was your veiwpoint modified by a logical conclusion or just the emotion induced by danger ? Did you prosecute the offenders ? The offenders should serve time and pay fines. Instead, everyone else is punished. Simple word games. Fine becomes fee, detention becomes education.

Comment

My comment quoted above is intended to illustrate why and how politicians can impose stupid rules in a nation where the right to keep and bear arms is part of our culture.

I'd rather avoid getting into a discussion of how one should identify and prosecute yahoos in the woods without exposing oneself to significant physical and legal risks.

In other words, we need to get this thread back on track. If folks want to discuss the right to hunt in national parks, perhaps a thread should be posted in the 2A forum because the discussion ultimately goes there.

Comment

• rebelsoul
                              Warrior
                              • Jan 2014

Right you are JA. I can't wait until fall hunting season, shooting deer and reading your incisive wisdom on how to do it better.

Comment

Working...
                              X