Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

It just came today. Yeah, the shipping was a bit ridiculous.LOL i ordered mine on the evening of the 28th.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Next dang inaccuracy/foul-up---- Leupold's Tactical chart seemed to pretty well indicate that the scope would take part number 59030 (20mm Objective flip-up). Of course it is way too small.

So now I'm at 1 pound even for the optic with mount, but the front flip-up will put me over the self-imposed limit.

Leupold's 1.25 power marking is total B.S. too. They admit to 1.3x on their website, but if you dig through the .gov stuff, it's actually 1.5x. Leupold: Stop lying to me!!!!! I hate liars!
      Last edited by Variable; 09-09-2014, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• Zapp
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        Aero Precision lied too.... 3.30 ounces.

When you name your product "Ultralight" and advertise it as being 2.98 ounces, I don't expect it to be overweight by more than 10% of what you brag about....
        What did the manufacturers say when you contacted them about this? 10% is a pretty big difference.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zapp View Post
          What did the manufacturers say when you contacted them about this? 10% is a pretty big difference.
          I hadn't poked that bear yet, but since you asked...... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_592/2..._mount___.html

That's their industry forum on Arf, so I guess we'll see what they say now (if anything).

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Really? They needed to ship

this

in this???

Everyone is entitled to their stupidity...... until it cost me money. No wonder shipping was so ridiculous.

BTW mine weighed 3.28ozs too, it was suppose to weigh 2.98ozs.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

Variable, what did you think about the mount? I'm trying to mount it now. I get it leveled and when I tighten the screws, the scope shifts significantly. :/

I don't think it's worth saving the 5 ozs.
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

The clamping style will make it move. I read about that before hand, and kind of compensated for it.

1.) I use a bubble level on the receiever to make sure it's level, then I put the base on the receiver.

2.) I then dropped the scope in, started the threads on the ring screws, and checked the elevation turret cap for level.

3.) I tightened the rings, and observed how much the scope turned by the perceived bubble level percentage.

4.) I then loosened the rings, rotated the scope back past level a similar amount in the opposite direction, and then retightened them.

It took two tries, but with some Vitamin beer for a mood lubricant, the mission came off fine.LOL

ETA: The extreme tragedy of the whole operation was that I'm out of my beloved Grolsch swing-tops, and had to stoop to imbibing an icky domestic. It seriously damaged my calm enough to really get me flummoxed over the other happenings.
                Last edited by Variable; 09-11-2014, 02:57 AM.

Comment

• Zapp
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  I hadn't poked that bear yet, but since you asked...... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_592/2..._mount___.html

That's their industry forum on Arf, so I guess we'll see what they say now (if anything).

Looks like they gave a reasonable explanation and answer. It is annoying that it isn't as advertised, but mistakes happen. Seems like they are going to try to do what it takes to keep you a happy customer too. Good to see them stand behind their stuff like that.

My condolences on the domestic beer.
                  Last edited by Zapp; 09-11-2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zapp View Post
                    Looks like they gave a reasonable explanation and answer. It is annoying that it isn't as advertised, but mistakes happen. Seems like they are going to try to do what it takes to keep you a happy customer too. Good to see them stand behind their stuff like that.

My condolences on the domestic beer.
                    Yep, I'm good with that. I'll keep the mount since it is decent, and I like it.

The weather is getting better, so hopefully I can get some batches of homebrew started soon. That'll fix the other problem.

Comment

• burkew23
                      Warrior
                      • May 2013

Have you heard anything more about a release date for Spike titanium carrier? I'm really curious how much $$ it'll be...
                      I've been seeing quite a few websites having sales on their lightweight nickel boron steel BCG and was hoping that everyone is clearing inventory for the release of the titanium version. But maybe I'm just fantasizing...

Last edited by burkew23; 09-12-2014, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

I've pestered them for a while, but nothing yet. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/2...=bottom#bottom

I'm dragging my feet to give them a chance, but I'll likely go Boomfab.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I mailed my lower receiver out for SBR engraving today. I sent it to a place called US Tactical (USTI) in Oakton Va. They apparently do laser engraving inside the trigger guard on receivers with fixed trigger guards. They charge more ($80 plus I had to pay shipping both ways), but we'll see if it comes out well. If it is done right, and is unobtrusive, I'll comsider it $100 well spent. It just seems like blasphemy to carve my name in the side of a Balios receiver.

I'll report in when it makes it back to me. Hopefully it'll be near invisible after I get everything cerakoted. Picking someone to do the cerakote will be another bear.

Comment

• burkew23
                            Warrior
                            • May 2013

I've been digging around the interwebs looking for titanium carriers and found www.Toolcraft.com that makes one. Haven't seen a ton of reviews but read from one person that it was impressive. Anodized bronze finish. 5.5 oz. I'm trying to figure out the price though cause someone on a different forum said they are half the price of boomfab's but online I see they are $450. Smells fishy....

The majority of titanium carriers on the market are pretty much the same (milspec) design. With the weight savings that JP was able to get with their steel (6.25 oz) Low Mass carrier design, I wish they would make a titanium carrier using the same concept. Seems like it'd take the lead on the market easily but maybe the design won't work for titanium, too brittle? I dunno, I'm no engineer...

Also I ask 2A Armament if they ever plan on making one since they have other lightweight products and they gave a fairly good answer. No timeline tho.

It's thread on 308 uppers but scroll to the bottom of the first page:
                            Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
                              I've been digging around the interwebs looking for titanium carriers and found www.Toolcraft.com that makes one. Haven't seen a ton of reviews but read from one person that it was impressive. Anodized bronze finish. 5.5 oz. I'm trying to figure out the price though cause someone on a different forum said they are half the price of boomfab's but online I see they are $450. Smells fishy....

The majority of titanium carriers on the market are pretty much the same (milspec) design. With the weight savings that JP was able to get with their steel (6.25 oz) Low Mass carrier design, I wish they would make a titanium carrier using the same concept. Seems like it'd take the lead on the market easily but maybe the design won't work for titanium, too brittle? I dunno, I'm no engineer...

Also I ask 2A Armament if they ever plan on making one since they have other lightweight products and they gave a fairly good answer. No timeline tho.

It's thread on 308 uppers but scroll to the bottom of the first page:
                              http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_493/252959_Xanthos_.html
                              Good catch on the 2AA forum. I hadn't caught that part.LOL I posted also.

The Toolcraft: I haven't heard anything about them either.

Hopefully 2AA will come out with something really great soon. Otherwise I'll have to get the Boomfab. I've about given up on Spike's Tactical.

ETA: In looking at JP's low mass carrier--- I don't see why it couldn't be made from Ti either. I dunno? They should try it, and plate it with NiB while they were at it.
                              Last edited by Variable; 09-19-2014, 11:05 PM.

Comment

• montana
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2011

I thought you might be interested in this build.

Comment

Working...
                                X