Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
    So is the price really worth saving 0.5 ozs?
    I can't find a price anywhere except that he posted "moar expensiver", but---- Yes, it'll very likely be worth it to me. Heck, I even have a hollowed out cam pin, alloy grip screw, Al takedown pins etc.

To get really light takes some stupid scratch (if you want to keep both looks and functionality).

If an extra 50 bucks or so shaves off another .5 oz? Yep, I'm down for it.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Peep this new lightweight bolt carrier that 2AA is getting ready to come out with.

If he replaces the steel (8620) portion with Ti, I think it'd give the Boomfab Titane a real run for the money.

Now I just need help convincing him to make some of them.

Comment

• burkew23
        Warrior
        • May 2013

How did I miss that?! I'll help with convincing him

It's hard to tell from the picture they released but the diameter looks small enough that IF they go Ti, along with the Al tail, I would think they'd beat Boomfab on weight. Hope we find out.

ETA: He did say "One of TWO lightweight carriers coming out soon" so lets hope (& convince them) that the second will be Ti!
        Last edited by burkew23; 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
          How did I miss that?! I'll help with convincing him

It's hard to tell from the picture they released but the diameter looks small enough that IF they go Ti, along with the Al tail, I would think they'd beat Boomfab on weight. Hope we find out.

ETA: He did say "One of TWO lightweight carriers coming out soon" so lets hope (& convince them) that the second will be Ti!
          Agreed, and thank you Sir!

Comment

• burkew23
            Warrior
            • May 2013

What are your thoughts on this? It's LIGHT!

I'd like to know more about their "multi step finish" process.

Comment

• burkew23
              Warrior
              • May 2013

I emailed them asking if the key was alum or steel and about their finishes, within an hour they replied:

"Thanks for the interest. The key is not aluminum it is steel. We anodize and impregnate them with a lubricant blend we developed to increase lubricity and wear resistance. They have run very well and with proper care will last a long time. Do you have any experience with lightweight carriers? We recommend liberal lubrication and regular cleaning, making sure to not allow carbon to build up in the raceway where the gas rings make contact. Oil helps suspend the carbon and other debris for easy cleanup. What type of build are you working on?"

Good impression so far they definitely have me interested. Anyone have concerns with an alum bcg behind the grendel?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

JP made an aluminum lightweight carrier a number of years ago and had the same recommendations, to closely maintain the BCG so that it wouldn't wear the critical bore diameters where the bolt articulates within the carrier to form a seal.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

3.915 ounces (111 grams) is pretty darn light. I like it based on weight, but I'd still probably rather have a Ti carrier from 2AA. If we can ever talk them into making one that is...

ETA: As for thoughts on an Al carrier behind a Grendel? It wouldn't worry me as long as the gas was turned down. I probably wouldn't want it with full carbine gas pressure though.LOL I imagine the carrier velocity would be pretty high that way.

IIRC, the old JP aluminum carriers ran really fast in shorty 5.56 guns. They had Mac-11 cyclic rates.LOL That's bound to eat them up faster, plus you'd need to account for bolt bounce.
                  Last edited by Variable; 02-20-2015, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• burkew23
                    Warrior
                    • May 2013

Would a JP alum carrier make you feel warm and fuzzy? Cause it's back! 3.76 oz

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

I was looking at that last night.

I'd snap it up, but the price is rather offensive to me for an aluminum carrier. That thing was actually cheaper for them to make. I'd pay a small premium, but dang! They don't need to hit the motherload on every single sale. They do LE discounts though, so I might get one if 2AA doesn't come out with a Ti version of their new carrier.

For the record (since this is the internet): Yes, I support JP's right to charge whatever they want, but I also support my right not to pay it if I don't want to!LOL

Comment

• burkew23
                        Warrior
                        • May 2013

lol, I agree!

I was excited when I saw they started making it again, then my jaw hit the floor when I saw the price. It's anodized aluminum, right? I'm not trying to knock JP either cause there's no doubt they make high quality parts but it's anodized aluminum! lol.

Again don't get me wrong, I wish I had the cash to buy one.

Comment

• burkew23
                          Warrior
                          • May 2013

Did you happen to "pull the trigger" on purchasing a Geissele trigger yet? *nyuk nyuk nyuk

I recently stumbled upon the ELF 3-Gun trigger and read some great reviews. Have you had any experience with these or heard anything about them? Even with a light trigger pull they kept a full strength hammer spring so light primer strikes are not a concern. The 3-gun version has been hollowed out for fast lock times and it 'looks' lighter!

Here's one review:
                          The most popular and widely respected voice in America for your gun rights, breaking 2nd Amendment news, and everything else you need to know as a gun owner...

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I did buy a Geissele SSA-E. I haven't installed it yet though. My can (that I ordered last November...) just now shipped on it's form 3 today. Uggh. This build is taking forever.

At least when my barrel gets done I'll be able to shoot the rifle without a can.

I'm still waiting and hoping 2AA will make a Ti/Al composite BCG, and SLR will finally make their Ti Sentry 7 clamp on.

I'll look that trigger up. If it's significantly lighter, then I could just put the Geissele in another lower. Thanks again bud!

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I sent Elftmann a message through their contact page requesting the weight of their 3-Gun module. I'll post back when/if they reply.

Comment

• burkew23
                                Warrior
                                • May 2013

Hope they do, it would be interesting to compare to your Geissele. Trigger weight isn't exactly normal published most people like to compare.

Comment

Working...
                                X