Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Variable View Post
    I sent Elftmann a message through their contact page requesting the weight of their 3-Gun module. I'll post back when/if they reply.
    Looked thru all of my Elftman stuff no mention of total weight.
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Got their answer (it was stuck in my Spam folder):

"Thank you for your interest in Elftmann triggers. The physical weight of the ELF 3 Gun curved is 2.2 oz., 64 grams
      We have an ultralight in the works that shaves off another 7 grams, should be in production 6-8 weeks
      Steve Watts
      Elftmann Tactical"

That's 57 grams, which is right at 2.01 ounces. Now I'll have to wait for their ultralight.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• burkew23
        Warrior
        • May 2013

That's great news!

Just for comparison how much does your Geissele weigh?

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
          That's great news!

Just for comparison how much does your Geissele weigh?
          Well Crap!!! It's a good thing you asked me that.....

I took Geissele at their word when I asked them for their current weight (and if they'd given consideration to skeletonizing them) in an email a long time ago.

They said:

"Good Morning XXXXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in our products and contacting us. As of now we do not have any plans on doing this to our triggers. They currently weigh roughly 3.5oz.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance."

So all along I ASSumed their SSA-E weighed 3.5 ounces. BZZZZZZTTTTTT!!!!!! Wrong!!!!

It only weighs 2.1 ounces (59 grams) as-is. That's without the trigger and hammer pins. I removed them to make it an apples to apples comparison.

I should have known better and automatically checked, but I never expected them to penalize themselves by an extra 40%!!!LOL

So apparently even an Ultralight Elf trigger module would only shave 1/10th of an ounce off of the Geissele SSA-E.

I might still get one anyway though, just to be different. I have other ARs that could definitely use the upgrade of this SSA-E.

Comment

• burkew23
            Warrior
            • May 2013

Wow! That's good to know. You should let Geissele know they can start marketing their trigger as a LW part
            Last edited by burkew23; 11-15-2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Received my SLR Ti Sentry 7 set screw version today.

Big surprise. It was about 20% heavier than we were initially led to believe. They said 23 grams, then they listed 24 grams on their site (still says 23 in the description). It actually weighs 28 grams. Oh well, I guess. I'm getting used to that by now. It's still the best option in a light weight adjustable that I know of.

28 grams with set screws and roll pin.

26.6-27 grams without the set screws and roll pin. The scale fluctuated slightly, so the weight was just barely under 27 grams.

Comment

• lamrith
                Warrior
                • Sep 2014

very cool. betting you remove the adjustable parts and it will come in @ 23.. You know how marketing folks like to play the game... the bare house is 23g so that is what they print!!
                Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                Anderson Pistol lower:
                16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
                  very cool. betting you remove the adjustable parts and it will come in @ 23.. You know how marketing folks like to play the game... the bare house is 23g so that is what they print!!
                  Which is what pisses me off. If I look up car specs, they typically include wheels, tires, an engine, and so forth in the vehicle weight. Bragging about how light a car was because you only weighed the frame would be pretty dang disingenuous.LOL

Comment

• lamrith
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                    Which is what pisses me off. If I look up car specs, they typically include wheels, tires, an engine, and so forth in the vehicle weight. Bragging about how light a car was because you only weighed the frame would be pretty dang disingenuous.LOL
                    It is unfortunately not uncommon in industries and for items where weight is the primary reason/criteria for something. Bike industry was that way back in 80/90's when Ti hit the market, everything was about what is the lightest you can possibly make something.

Darn sweet looking gasblock though and I am sure it is a good bit lighter than anything else on the market that is adjustable..?
                    Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
                    18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
                    SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
                    16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
                    Anderson Pistol lower:
                    16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
                    6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

AM4966 just clued me in that SLR has now released Ti Sentry 7's in clamp on. AFTER I badgered them incessantly and they said they weren't.....

Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Maybe they'll let me swap my set screw version for a clamp-on...... Argh...

Comment

• burkew23
                        Warrior
                        • May 2013

Oh man that gif pretty much sums it up.

It's the best and worst part about all of the lightweight parts hitting the market right now. They just keep getting lighter and mo betta!

On the bright side, at least the Balios receiver set has held the title for the lightest receiver set ( that is 100% alum. and no gaping wholes ) for the last year.

But I'm sure something will come out tomorrow...

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

I'm just irked because-- I bitched incessantly about them making a clamp on, they pretty much blew me off, and then when I gave up they very quietly turned around and released what I'd been asking for. I was working multiple threads on the subject.

I asked if they'd swap but still have no answer. They've logged on at least four times since I asked too.

Comment

• burkew23
                            Warrior
                            • May 2013

Ya that its pretty weird that they released it like they did. But I'd try emailing Todd direct if you haven't already or calling cause they probably don't want to make a big public announcement on arf that everyone will try jumping on.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

I PM'd him the night before last. No reply to date.

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

The squeaky wheel finally got some grease.

Alfredo from SLR just PM'ed me and said he'd swap it out.

Alfredo Rocks!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X