Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Something showed up at the shop today...

Balios-Lite goodness.

This'll be my build thread I guess, since I've never done a build thread before, I'm making it up as I go. This one will probably take a good while, since it'll involve a new suppressor, and it'll be a short barreled rifle as well. I can cheat though- I have a registered DIAS as well as other already registered lowers I can use to check function, assembly, etc, til the form 1 comes back on the Balios lower.

Anywhoo, to make it simpler I'll break it into halves. I'll request input on the upper and lower seperately.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

LOWER

Balios-Lite lower receiver build for a suppressed 12.5" SBR Grendel carbine.

I'm thinking a lot of V7 parts, maybe an LWRC UCIW stock, Geissele SSA-E, Magpul K grip. What am I missing?

Anything better than V7? Best place to order V7 (for best savings?)

ETA: I know the complete UCIW stock will weigh more than an old CAR Fiberlight, but I might remove the weights from the UCIW buffer, or maybe try Taccom's delrin buffer set. I'd have to shorten them to get them to work, but it might be worth it.
    Last edited by Variable; 08-08-2014, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

UPPER

Just a placeholder for now. I'll be waiting on a Lilja 12.5" group buy barrel hopefully. If not, then I'll go elsewhere.

Balios-Lite Upper receiver

At present it looks like a 10" BCM KMR rail.

Haven't made up my mind on the port door.

I'm hoping to use a Spike's Ti bolt carrier. If they don't actually release the dang thing I may go Boomfab.

I have a couple AA "Hard Use" bolts laying around, so probably one of those.

ETA: The optics will likely be a Leupold VX-R Patrol in a 30mm Aero Precision mount.
      Last edited by Variable; 08-08-2014, 11:08 PM.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        LOWER

Balios-Lite lower receiver build for a suppressed 12.5" SBR Grendel carbine.

I'm thinking a lot of V7 parts, maybe an LWRC UCIW stock, Geissele SSA-E, Magpul K grip. What am I missing?

Anything better than V7? Best place to order V7 (for best savings?)

ETA: I know the complete UCIW stock will weigh more than an old CAR Fiberlight, but I might remove the weights from the UCIW buffer, or maybe try Taccom's delrin buffer set. I'd have to shorten them to get them to work, but it might be worth it.
        As for a LPK I'd go with a Precision Firearms, hands down, because of price and quality.

I've got an SSA, but I think I want to try an S3G on the SBR. I'm going with the Super Tricon on my 16" Grendel.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

UPPER

Just a placeholder for now. I'll be waiting on a Lilja 12.5" group buy barrel hopefully. If not, then I'll go elsewhere.

Balios-Lite Upper receiver

At present it looks like a 10" BCM KMR rail.

Haven't made up my mind on the port door.

I'm hoping to use a Spike's Ti bolt carrier. If they don't actually release the dang thing I may go Boomfab.

I have a couple AA "Hard Use" bolts laying around, so probably one of those.

ETA: The optics will likely be a Leupold VX-R Patrol in a 30mm Aero Precision mount.
          Have you seen this one? It's about an ounce heavier but significantly cheaper. I might even be able to get it cheaper for you. Just let me know.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I'm looking at PF's site, but I'm not seeing any specific lightweight lower parts?

My main focus is going as absolutely light weight as possible, without any cheesy parts, and still functioning.

That's why I'm leaning V7 at the moment. http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/lower-parts

So far I'm thinking:

Ti castle nut, Ti end plate, Ti (or possibly aluminum?) takedown pins, Ti or Al grip screw, Ti/Al selector, etc. That's why I wanted the barrel as absolutely light as possible. Every ounce left in the barrel is going to really cost me shaving it out of somewhere else.LOL

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
              Have you seen this one? It's about an ounce heavier but significantly cheaper. I might even be able to get it cheaper for you. Just let me know.
              http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?r...&product_id=90
              It looks good, but I like the mounting of the KMR better, and there's a guy on Arf that I might be able to get an Al barrel nut from. That'd shave another .9 ounce off for a total rail and nut/mount weight of right at 5.4 ounces.

Burkew23 sent me a link with a good price on the KMR also: https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/bc...fbh2irhuqjae46

Thanks Burke!
              Last edited by Variable; 08-08-2014, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

I'm looking at PF's site, but I'm not seeing any specific lightweight lower parts?

My main focus is going as absolutely light weight as possible, without any cheesy parts, and still functioning.

That's why I'm leaning V7 at the moment. http://www.v7weaponsystems.com/collections/lower-parts

So far I'm thinking:

Ti castle nut, Ti end plate, Ti (or possibly aluminum?) takedown pins, Ti or Al grip screw, Ti/Al selector, etc. That's why I wanted the barrel as absolutely light as possible. Every ounce left in the barrel is going to really cost me shaving it out of somewhere else.LOL
                Fair enough. Do they not sell a full LPK? That seems like that'd be a no brainer that they would.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                  Fair enough. Do they not sell a full LPK? That seems like that'd be a no brainer that they would.
                  I don't see one listed.

I have enough spares to build some complete lowers (whole rifles.LOL), so the springs, detents, etc. are no big deal. I'm mainly looking for who has the absolute lightest "non-crappy" parts. So far it looks like V7 is the place to go.

I just heard back from the Arf barrel nut guy, so it looks like I'm locked on the KMR rail now.

Comment

• burkew23
                    Warrior
                    • May 2013

YES!! Now I get to live vicariously through your build glad to help witht the KMR and that's awesome the arf guy is going to make that barrel nut for you.

My first thought on the upper is maybe check out Strike Industries dust cover (polymer) it's within a gram or two of the V7 cover and much cheaper.

Here's a weight on it, cause they don't list it on their site.

2A Armament also just came out Ti gas block (as I'm sure you've seen ) but it's not adjustable. It's .7 oz compared to SLR's being 1.3 oz. I'm hoping they come out with adjustable soon.....
                    Firearm Discussion and Resources from AR-15, AK-47, Handguns and more! Buy, Sell, and Trade your Firearms and Gear.

Excited to see this build come together!

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

My lightweight Al barrel nut came in today. Still waiting on the KMR rail and some V7 lower receiver parts.

I'm really liking the amount of thought and detail that 2A put into this receiver set.

They already threaded the rear takedown pin's spring and detent channel. They included the screw too.

They also use a padded tension screw to adjust the fit between the upper and lower at the rear takedown lug. I was never in to all that frilly stuff, but it is kind of neat.LOL

I'm leaning hard towards using another Geissele SSA-E hammer and trigger set. I'd welcome something lighter, but only if it could be as awesome.LOL Has anyone ever seen any Geissele hammers, triggers, or disconnectors that have been drilled or skeletonized to reduce weight?
                      Last edited by Variable; 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

...I'm leaning hard towards using another Geissele SSA-E hammer and trigger set. I'd welcome something lighter, but only if it could be as awesome.LOL Has anyone ever seen any Geissele hammers, triggers, or disconnectors that have been drilled or skeletonized to reduce weight?
                        You sir have a serious problem. HAHAHA

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

You're right.LOL

I already have a 19.5", a 14.5", and a 10.5". To justify the otherwise slight difference in building yet number 4, I have to pull out all of the stops I can and get crazy this time.

They say to "never go full r#+@^]"....... but sometimes to justify a build, you have to.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Fair enough.

You could just do what I do. Tell yourself, you'll sell one after you build/buy this one, knowing good and well that's BS. HAHA

Have you contacted geissele with that question? I'd be interested as to their answer.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Good idea. I just sent Geissele the following email:

"I was wondering if you have any plans to skeletonize or otherwise lighten any of your triggers for the "lightweight" AR crowd? It seems like lightweight parts are rapidly gaining popularity (titanium bolt carriers, magnesium rails, etc.) lately. I'm currently building a lightweight, and I love your SSA-E triggers. One with reduced weight (physical weight, not "pull weight") would be really nice to have.

Thanks for any reply,
                              XXXXXXXX"

Hopefully I get something back from them. I think actually replying to email questions is becoming a rarity. I've sent a bunch of info requests to different companies lately, and I've heard back from extremely few. It kind of irks me actually.

Templar Tactical--- Nothing. You'd think they'd want to sell a $1200-1300 can.... Sheesh.
                              Hornady---- I asked about muzzle pressure for the 6.5 grendel cartridge. Nothing, not even an "I dunno", or "go pound sand"
                              Ident Marking--- A simple marking question that their website doesn't address.
                              Etc., etc., etc.... :-/

Comment

Working...
                              X