Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...tonized-lower/

I thought you might be interested in this build.
    Ha! That one's pretty good.LOL I could never go that route for fear of dirt/foreign object intrusion, but for a race gun it looks kind of neat.

If I used a lower like that, something would get into the lower and cause me to have a negligent discharge or something. Murphy stalks me constantly (LOL), so I try to keep him away.

When my full-auto KAC match trigger set came out of adjustment and dumped a pair of Grendel 120gr. MPTs into the asphalt beside my chrono I about crapped myself. I released the charging handle, and BLAM BLAM! It doubled.... I've been leery of adjustable triggers ever since.

In the Gulf I had a guy's ND from an M60 go right over my head too. We were sitting in the back of a Duece, and there was a brief moment of silence followed by the most profound bout of cussing I've ever heard. If the gun hadn't been angled up, and the duece stopped far enough from the bunker, my brains would still be in the sand. The lower in those pics has a contained trigger pack, but it'd still make me nervous.
    Last edited by Variable; 09-20-2014, 10:32 PM.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

"Jeff" at US Tactical (in Oakton VA) engraved my lower today. He sent pics and some really cool videos of the work being done. I wish I could post the vids, but I can't without broadcasting my name and home location. FWIW, it was awesome looking!LOL

Here is a pic I crappily edited while it's still in the white.

He charges more ($80), but for great communication, work, and getting it done under a fixed trigger guard (when no one else I could find would) --- it's an excellent deal in my book.
      Last edited by Variable; 09-20-2014, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        Ha! That one's pretty good.LOL I could never go that route for fear of dirt/foreign object intrusion, but for a race gun it looks kind of neat.

If I used a lower like that, something would get into the lower and cause me to have a negligent discharge or something. Murphy stalks me constantly (LOL), so I try to keep him away.

When my full-auto KAC match trigger set came out of adjustment and dumped a pair of Grendel 120gr. MPTs into the asphalt beside my chrono I about crapped myself. I released the charging handle, and BLAM BLAM! It doubled.... I've been leery of adjustable triggers ever since.

In the Gulf I had a guy's ND from an M60 go right over my head too. We were sitting in the back of a Duece, and there was a brief moment of silence followed by the most profound bout of cussing I've ever heard. If the gun hadn't been angled up, and the duece stopped far enough from the bunker, my brains would still be in the sand. The lower in those pics has a contained trigger pack, but it'd still make me nervous.
        I thought you would get a kick out of this lower LOL, it is a little extreme but light.

I have a 9mm upper for my full auto lower that got a blown primer stuck in the dis connect trigger groove while using cheep Chinese ammo. It was like getting the throttle stuck while driving a car. It ran the full mag before it stopped. Getting crud in the trigger group is not a good thing. You have every right to be concerned about using any AR platform with openings in the lower receiver.

Comment

• lamrith
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

If you are going to go Full R3t49D, why not go bones on the upper/lower as well.. Oh wait, did I just give you build #5?... heheee

Good idea. I just sent Geissele the following email:

"I was wondering if you have any plans to skeletonize or otherwise lighten any of your triggers for the "lightweight" AR crowd? It seems like lightweight parts are rapidly gaining popularity (titanium bolt carriers, magnesium rails, etc.) lately. I'm currently building a lightweight, and I love your SSA-E triggers. One with reduced weight (physical weight, not "pull weight") would be really nice to have.

Thanks for any reply,
          XXXXXXXX"

Hopefully I get something back from them. I think actually replying to email questions is becoming a rarity. I've sent a bunch of info requests to different companies lately, and I've heard back from extremely few. It kind of irks me actually.

Templar Tactical--- Nothing. You'd think they'd want to sell a $1200-1300 can.... Sheesh.
          Hornady---- I asked about muzzle pressure for the 6.5 grendel cartridge. Nothing, not even an "I dunno", or "go pound sand"
          Ident Marking--- A simple marking question that their website doesn't address.
          Etc., etc., etc.... :-/
          Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
          18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
          SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
          16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
          Anderson Pistol lower:
          16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
          6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
            If you are going to go Full R3t49D, why not go bones on the upper/lower as well.. Oh wait, did I just give you build #5?... heheee
            http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...eletonized-ar/
            I pretty much already have with the Balios-Lite set.

The Aero skeletonized prototype weighs .357 pounds, which comes out to 5.712 ounces. That's great weight-wise, but for about 9/10's of an ounce more I get a closed lower and will never have to worry about a foreign object causing a negligent (not accidental in my book) discharge.

I'm way to leery about that skeletonized design. It just looks like an invitation for Murphy to step in and hurt or kill someone. The lawyers will be licking their chops waiting for that one to go into production I'd guess.

The next question would be what upper will they match it with? They'll have to dig very hard to match 2AA on their Balios-Lite set.

Completely removing large chunks of the Aero lower only beat the Balios-Lite by .9 ounce. 2AA kept everything closed, and got there safely by really doing their homework.

Safe Full R3t49D!

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Here is a light weight AR build.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Well that's kinda neat.

A little too spacey looking for me, but still pretty cool!

Comment

• Slappy
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2014

Another one for the collection??? DANG!!! Very nice. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

A little too spacey looking for me, but still pretty cool!
                      To Storm Trooperish??? HAHA
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                        To Storm Trooperish??? HAHA
                        This one is the better Storm Trooper looking one:

I did want to get a Colt SCW for my "blaster" category, but it never happened.

Comment

• burkew23
                          Warrior
                          • May 2013

Look what SLR just released a sneak peak of....

22 grams for the titanium .750 Set Screw Sentry, should be available in a couple weeks.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
                            Look what SLR just released a sneak peak of....

22 grams for the titanium .750 Set Screw Sentry, should be available in a couple weeks.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/6...Q.html&page=20
                            Dangit! I already commited to a regular one. Poop!

Comment

• burkew23
                              Warrior
                              • May 2013

Dangit! I already commited to a regular one. Poop!
                              Ya me too, DOH!

Comment

• cory
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2012

So is the price really worth saving 0.5 ozs?
                                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X