Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Whaddya know. Unlike a bunch of other outfits, Geissele actually answers questions.

Originally posted by Geissele
    Good Morning XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your interest in our products and contacting us. As of now we do not have any plans on doing this to our triggers. They currently weigh roughly 3.5oz.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    Thank you Geiselle! Even if you aren't considering making the niche product I want(LOL), at least they'll give me a timely and honest reply. +1 for an awesome trigger making outfit!

They also give an LE discount. I know where my trigger will be coming from.

ETA: Hrrrmmmm... To drill, or not to drill.... I hate the weight, but what if I broke something...?
    Last edited by Variable; 08-14-2014, 01:29 PM.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

If you were going to drill holes to save weight, I'd experiment with a much cheaper ALG trigger first.

Assuming it doesn't crack I'd send it into Geissele to see what they think about duplicating the process with the SSA-E.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Mike Geissele just made his distinguished rifleman this year, he's a nice guy personally and struggled just like I did to make it. I talk to him every year at the national matches. I would not remove any weight from his hammer, it had to be strengthened to avoid breakage as is.
        Bob

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
          Mike Geissele just made his distinguished rifleman this year, he's a nice guy personally and struggled just like I did to make it. I talk to him every year at the national matches. I would not remove any weight from his hammer, it had to be strengthened to avoid breakage as is.
          Bob
          Okay. Advice taken then. No drilling the hammer. Since the hammer is the heaviest part, I'll probably just leave it all alone. I'll drag my feet just a little longer on ordering the hammer, trigger, and disconnector set.

Thanks Bob.

Comment

If you save any more weight on this thing, it's going to levitate. Maybe put some helium in the stock?

This is going to be lightweight for sure. I hope you have enough glue to hold it together.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Big Brown Santa brought a giant box today. The wife fake-snarkily said "you got a giant box". Then she said:"Hunh? It's really light". BCM used a crazy long box for their 10" rail packaging. It caused Exile to use an even crazier large box to protect the rail.LOL

Starting to get a little closer.

I ordered the LWRC UCIW stock last night. It should be arriving some time after the V7 parts.

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

I'm interested to see how it runs. I'm running heavy carriers, heavy buffers and trying to slow it down, and you're talking about running super light stuff.

You may be the first victim of "too light Grendel" syndrome, where the weight of the rifle makes it feel like you are shooting a .300 WinMag, and you develop shell shock! (You already have a serious case of sticker shock!)

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Yeah, you are right.LOL The sticker shock is pretty high so far, with much more to come.

I figure the recoil probably will be a bit snappy. The scope and suppressor will bring it up to a little over 6 pounds. I'll try to trim it as close to 6 as possible though. Bill A.'s ultralight Grendel was around 5.5 pounds IIRC. I'm trying to beat that by cheating.LOL The shorter barrel and parts that didn't exist back then will help.

I probably wouldn't want to build this as a Beowulf.LOL That would be shell shock.

ETA: Reciprocating weight--- I'll just have to see what I can get it to do. I'll pull out every ounce it will let me. If it doesn't run right, I'll adjust it until it does, and only add weight as a last resort. I think it'll run though. The 3 gun guys run 5.56 this way. It's likely doable. My main concern will be carrier velocity when the bolt opens while suppressed. It may or may not be an issue. I'll just have to be the guinea pig.
                  Last edited by Variable; 08-15-2014, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

The 3 gun guys are running light loads and 55 grain bullets, thats how they get away with it. Some of them are running what the Cowboy guys call "pew, pew" loads, even.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Yeah, "PewPew" fast tight doubles, but I'm not expecting that. I know I'll have much more recoil to contend with than they do. I just want it to cycle.

In my scattered brain, gas pressure will be the dominant issue I have to play with. The system will cycle fast because of low reciprocating mass (just like in a 5.56), and I'll have a bit more drag feeding heavier Grendel rounds, but it should behave similarly. I can control the gas from the block easily enough, and then I'll have to see what kind of residual pressure comes back from the bore while unlocked (while suppressed primarily).

By gong to a 12.5" tube I buy myself some more dwell time (2 more inches than I have in my 10.5", which is comparatively a lot). That will allow me to dial it down and spread the pulse a tiny bit. I think I can balance it out, but only time and parts will tell.

One possible handicap (I envision anyway) is that by going to the UCIW buffer system I'm painting myself into a bit of a corner spring-wise. I can change the buffer weights easy enough, but different springs don't grow on trees for that buffer system. If I have problems, I'll have to see if I can pull any rabbits out of a hat.

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

UCIW stock set and the V7 parts are here. The buffer for the UCIW is marked "UC2", and is certainly a dense little sucker.LOL It looks like a pretty nice stock. The flat wire spring is kind of neatsy too. Yes, I know they are compromises vs. standard, but hey, I'm bored. I want different.

The V7 port door is okay. I have to reprofile the rod for the door though. It has one end flattened for a regular receiver. That won't fit the Balios. No big deal though. I'll fix that easy enough.

NEEDS MORE BARREL......

Comment

• txgunner00
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Schweet!
                          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• dmsims21
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2012

What about converting to a side charger and getting rid of the standard charging handle? The little side charging knob would weigh less and add some reciprocating mass to slow up the action.
                            Is leaving dust dust cover off an option?
                            You could also have the integral rail milled down. Just keep the slots you need to mount your optic, and have the rest machined off.
                            www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Well, I'm already rolling with the Balios-Lite, and FWIW I don't think anybody makes a side charger upper even close to the weight of the Balios-Lite upper at 5.8 ounces. A stock charging handle adds between 1 to 1.25 ounce depending on who made it. I've used normal charging handles for so long I'd probably get lost using a side charger.

For carrier velocity I'll be dipping into the gas adjustment to see what happens. I figure someone has to try it and see what happens.

Dust cover: I've never used an AR without one. I know it won't change much in the real world, but for my psychological peace of mind I'm going to add the 0.37 ounce of the V7 assembly.

The real sacrifice for me is ditching the forward assist. I started without them on Air Force M16's way back in the day, and I think they are more of a "jam accentuator" in normal use based on my experience. That being said, I do use them frequently while hunting to quietly close the bolt when loading or checking my chamber. I can probably just use my thumb for the same thing, but if I'm forced to use the Boomfab "Titane" I don't know how difficult that'll be. It probably won't be a big deal though.

Rail: The Balios-Lite rail slots are already skeletonized to remove the majority of the mass. I'm going to keep those in case I change my mind optic-wise later.

"Scarr" (over on Arfcom) has milled some of the slots off of his KMR rail, and I think his mod looks pretty awesome. Hopefully he doesn't mind me borrowing his pic to show off his build/mods:

I'm hoping to need the rail slots for future thermal clip-on use... First I'll have to recover from this build cost before I go completely bankrupt though!LOL
                              Last edited by Variable; 08-19-2014, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• burkew23
                                Warrior
                                • May 2013

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                                NEEDS MORE BARREL......
                                I'm the exact opposite of you, I've got the barrel and that's it!

Looks like it's all coming together nicely though. I'm getting quite jealous.

Are the V7 parts impressive?

Comment

Working...
                                X