Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Yes, so far they look great. I need a few more parts, but what I've gathered so far looks great.

It gets pricey, but you really have to shave every fraction of an ounce (that you can stomach) to get measurable gains.

Example---

Here's the steel endplate and castle nut from the UCIW stock:

Here is the V7 (Al "super alloy") versions:

Scarr's Al barrel nut really helped me shave some too.

The board will only allow 4 pics per post, so I'll have to do multiples...
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

My dang Magpul "K" grip was supposed to be right around 1.96oz., but mine must be pregnant. I might do little bit of carving on it.

Here is V7's cam pin. They scalloped the top, and hollowed out the bottom.

V7 mag catch assembly:

V7 port door and rod. The rod is flattened on the end, and won't jive with the Balios upper that way, so I'll have to reprofile it. No biggie.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

V7's buffer retainer and spring. I had to weigh them together with a Shepherd Ti firing pin, as they were too light to accurately measure on my scale otherwise.

I know not to trust a Ti firing pin on a regular build, but this is supposed to be "over the top", so what the heck.LOL

My biggest weight offender on the lower is the stock version of the LWRC "UCIW" stock. That little sucker is stout. I'll whittle away where I can. Here it is as delivered:

Flat wire spring:

UCIW Buttstock:

I might pop the rubber pad off and see if there is anything I can drill out without affecting it.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

UCIW receiver extension:

"UC2" buffer:

I'll likely try to run it without the weights, but if it hiccups, then I'll put back as much as I have to.

V7 Al takedown pins:

FWIW---This scale checks out right on the money with my RCBS 50 gram checkweights:

It only goes down to .05 ounce, so everything is in the nearest increment of that.
          Last edited by Variable; 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Balios-Lite upper:

Balios-Lite lower:

Combined set:

I know I'm a really crappy photographer, but this iPhone doesn't help either.LOL

I'll have to use older mags, because these new E-Lander mags feel like they are made of DU by comparison to my other parts. ;-)

ETA: Another unintended plus is that Wolf steel case ammo should be pretty darn light (for Grendel fodder) between the lighter casing, lower powder fill, and the 100 grain bullet.LOL
            Last edited by Variable; 08-26-2014, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Anybody know of a Laser engraving outfit that can SBR mark my lower inside the trigger guard ----with a fixed (non-removable) guard?

I've sent multiple emails to Ident Marking, and Gray Laser with no replies yet. Orion says on their website that they won't.

I couldn't care less if the lettering is slightly skewed or a little untidy from being done at a slight angle. I only want ATF minimum specs, and I'm willing to pay extra for the effort. It'd barely even show under the cerakote after it's finished, and who ever looks upside down and inside the guard anyway?LOL

Comment

• Dave Bob
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2013

I would call Ident, they seldom answer email but will pick up the phone occasionally.

Dave

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

NFA Investments has done a lot of engraving for me. I don't know if he can do inside the trigger guard but he uses a rotary mill to cut the text in. It looks a lot better than laser engraving IMO.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• Dave Bob
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2013

NFA Investments can't do inside the trigger guide. From his web site "DUE TO PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS OF THE ENGRAVING EQUIPMENT, RECEIVERS CANNOT BE ENGRAVED INSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD OR BENEATH THE TRIGGER."

Dave

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

I'm guessing that with a forged lower where the trigger guard is removable, engraving said trigger guard wouldn't meet the ATF Reqs. :?
                      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• burkew23
                        Warrior
                        • May 2013

The pictures look great! I was about to ask how much the UCIW stock ended up weighing but I guess you read my mind. Thanks for all the good info.

Is the Magpul K grip supposed to be one of the lighter grips? I haven't seen much weight info about grips around so I'm just curious.

ETA: What's the overall length of the UCIW stock?
                        Last edited by burkew23; 08-26-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

The magpul K grip is the lightest one listed in this lightweight build thread on Arf: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/6...5_.html&page=1

It's listed at 1.94oz..... but mine wasn't.LOL I might just sand the inside until it's sub 2 ounce.

The UCIW stock (when closed) adds just a fraction under 6 inches to the rifle when measured from the rear of the receiver to the rubber buttpad.

When fully extended, it adds just over 9.25" to the rifle when measuring from the rear of the receiver to the rubber buttpad.

In both of these pictures the tape is even with the rear edge of the receiver, but perspective and the angle screws with how it looks in the pic.

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I just ordered my Aero Precision Ultralight extended scope mount (2.98oz).

They give a 15% discount for LE/Mil, and for everyone else they are having a 15% off sale for Labor Day now through Sept. 6th. Use code "laborday14". They also have free shipping for orders over $150.

Comment

• burkew23
                              Warrior
                              • May 2013

UH OH! I found something else you can buy.

V7 just came out with a Charging Hangle. I'd post a pic but they make copying their pictures difficult...

Weighs 29 grams or 1.02 oz. pretty stinkin light! Most charging handles are around the 2 oz. mark I think. And the price is actually good compared to there other stuff.

Comment

• Variable
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2011

You are indeed a bad man Burke.

Yeah, now I might have to order that. I don't like the looks of the latch, so I'd have to swap it out to a PRI latch maybe. No biggie there, but I'd also have to do the RTV mod then too.

I dunno. I've come to love the PRI Gas-Buster CH an awful lot over the years.... It keeps my fingers from getting chewed up when I have to use it a lot.

When I get home I'll weigh a PRI and see what the difference would be weight-wise, and go from there.

Thanks for the heads up on the CH. You are helping my "mid-life crisis rifle" come along nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X