• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 81police
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

First Boar on the ATN Shot Trak

Shot this young, 180lb boar from approx. 75 yards. I don't make a habit of this shot angle, but he turned just enough I was confident the 120gr. Barnes TSX had ample penetration to get to vitals if I put it just behind the ribcage. The bullet did massive internal damage, and surprisingly the boar still ran 20 yards, albeit downhill. Tough animals no doubt!

Thoughts on the ATN Shot Trak? It's very simple to use and the video quality is decent. It's small enough it's not obtrusive carrying afield or in/out of stands. Sound quality is pretty good too. There are some things cheap feeling about it, and the video isn't breath taking, but it only cost $100

Video link below,

John 11:25-26
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

I think the video came out great. The first deer I shot with a barnes TSX went straight through the heart and the full length of the animal . I love the barnes bullets and they have never let me down with my Grendels or any of my other calibers. Great video and story, thanks for sharing. Nice picture as well.

Comment

Looks like your shot temporarily interfered with his nerves that control his back legs, my guess is that the path of the bullet was close enough to the spine that the temporary wound cavity caused that effect.

I've reported before that the 120TSX does a great job at close to medium range, but once you get out beyond 350 yards or so, they begin to behave as solids. That isn't much of a factor for 95% of the game shot in the US but you should be aware and make shot decisions with that in mind. I've never lost an animal due to this effect but I have had some pretty long tracking jobs to deal with.

Nice video, well done. I have a GoPro mounted on one of my rifles with the new sportsman's mount. It seems to stabilize better, but the video is not any better, and yours is one fourth the price. Looks like a good value to me.

Comment

• Slappy
        Warrior
        • Feb 2014

Yup that will do!! The Curly shuffle!! Thanks for the post. BANG BANG!!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Very nice, again! I think the YouTube version came out as good or better than the PB version.

I don't see many hogs during the day, but your vid makes me want to buy one of those.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• rebelsoul
            Warrior
            • Jan 2014

Well done! I want one of those cameras. How's the software? I have a Rhino lid cam, the software is troublesome for me. Phone support is not much help either.
            "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

Camera saves files as .mov on your mini sd card. These can be opened and edited with QuickTime Pro or the latest Windows Movie Maker (free).

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Does it have a USB port or do you have to remove the mini SD to download? I tried looking at pics of the unit elsewhere, but could not find a USB port.

Comment

• 81police
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2013

no USB port on it, you have to remove the miniSD to access recorded files. Like I said, it's $100, lots of room for improvements. I expect to see competitive models out before long!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

That is a shame. The micro USB cards can be fragile. I don't think they hold up well for transferring data repeatedly between devices, or at least that has been my experience.

Comment

Another one bites the dust. Funny to see technologies we were testing with Land Warrior well over a decade ago start to become more popular in the civilian side. Every additional attachment was ruggedized, and had gone through a few evolutions of miniaturization.

We were looking at no less than 3 additional components/systems being added to the M4 for the Land Warrior Program, to include:

* Combat Camera (with video feed to the Helmet Mounted Display)
                      * Digital compass
                      * Laser Range Finder

Some of the carbines in the Platoon were equipped with thermals, and the same Thermal Weapon Sights were issued to us right before we deployed to OIF1 in February of 2003. During the Airborne Land Warrior test platoon trials, guys were able to counter snipers waiting on the drop zone down in Fort Polk well before they were able to engage them, since they had the TWS advantage.

I've actually drawn up some schematics for a modernized electronic systems suite where I focused on integration of systems and a streamlined approach to blending in with the weapon, with a weapon design that is engineered from the ground up knowing that said systems would be a part of it. We ended up with way too many separate battery boxes on the guns, turning them into little beasts. We already had PEQ-2's, Aimpoints, BUIS's, and Surefire lights on the guns as a standard.

Comment

• 81police
                        Warrior
                        • Feb 2013

Great tidbit of info there LRRPF52. I think it is interesting how hunting accessories and technology has developed behind and alongside military technology. Makes you wonder what will things be like in the next decade or two!

Comment

Working...
                        X